You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Ive wanted Rodgers to stay, what changed that for me yesterday was how gutless he looked in the interview afterwards, he looked like a broken man. I honestly expected him to come on and just let loose on all the shit, I really thought he'd look angry and it would've got the message across to us that it just wasn't acceptable. Instead he said we were beaten by the better team, Villa should never be the better team in a cup semi. It was bollocks.

How many times has markovic been subbed at half time? He's getting the selections wrong so many times that he's changing it at half time.

Really, robbie? Is this really us now? Setting the manager unrealistic targets, hamstringing him, not really backing him and then sacking him?

Not backing him

They have give him over 200ml to spend yet his best defender was here before him. His best midfielder here before him.

Sterling here before him. They have backed him.

The defence has been a shambles since he has been here,barring one run of games.

European football has been a disgrace under him.

Far too many times we have looked lacklustre and to be honest look like they don't give a shit. The same issues have been cropping up for 3 years now.

• Upvote 2

They have backed him.

They haven't backed him to achieve the goals they set, if they are going to sack him for not finishing 4th.

If you spend the 5th most on wages and transfer fees, it's highly likely you'll spend most of your seasons finishing, well, 5th. Even if they sack Rodgers, if they don't release the constraints and if they set the new guy a CL or bust target, then they're setting him up to fail.

Rinse and repeat.

I think Benitez would probably take the job under any circumstances, backing himself to remove the restrictions from within the job (which, obviously, would not be ideal).

Klopp, will probably get offered the City job, so it would be no surprise to see him end up there. I think he'd be very interested in managing Liverpool, but much less so under FSG.

The job would be very appealing without all the interference in the footballing side from people that don't understand the game. Taking over one of the biggest clubs in the world, fairly low expectations, would be almost impossible not to improve on recent European performance, etc. But we don't act like a big club, and that's part of the reason we probably wouldn't attract a big manager.

I would only want Rodgers out, as I said, if we got someone like Klopp or Benitez (De Boer has been mooted, and I honestly haven't followed what he's done to have an opinion either way). I dread to think who FSG would replace him with. A younger, cheaper version of Rodgers probably. Someone who's greatest achievement in the game would be getting the job. 

In the event Rodgers is sacked, I don't want Benitez but could warm to Klopp though I doubt he'd come if bigger, richer clubs are sniffing about. Like you, I don't know anything of De Boer's credentials.

Stick or twist?

Whether we could get Klopp or not would depend on whether he gets a better offer which is only likely to come from City or Real who may or may not look elsewhere. Rafa would do anything to get his old job back. I think we could definitely get De Boer. Emery or Conte a left field shout. Ancelotti unrealistic.

We would find it fairly easy to get a better manager than we have now. That wasn't the case when Rafa was sacked.

They haven't backed him to achieve the goals they set, if they are going to sack him for not finishing 4th.

If you spend the 5th most on wages and transfer fees, it's highly likely you'll spend most of your seasons finishing, well, 5th. Even if they sack Rodgers, if they don't release the constraints and if they set the new guy a CL or bust target, then they're setting him up to fail.

Rinse and repeat.

Yes but if Rodgers is as clever as some on here would like to think, he should be able to take 5th highest outlay, and spin it in to pure top 4 silk.

Hes done it once, yes, with the best player in the world at the time in his side.

However we are now slammed in to reverse.

Yes but if Rodgers is as clever as some on here would like to think, he should be able to take 5th highest outlay, and spin it in to pure top 4 silk.

Hes done it once, yes, with the best player in the world at the time in his side.

However we are now slammed in to reverse.

What posters are you referring to there, Thommo?

In the event Rodgers is sacked, I don't want Benitez but could warm to Klopp though I doubt he'd come if bigger, richer clubs are sniffing about. Like you, I don't know anything of De Boer's credentials.

Stick or twist?

*Shrugs*

I've got no faith in Rodgers as a manager, but even less in the owner's "vision".

Ideally, they'd both leave.

I don't think 7th, 2nd and 5th (if that's where we finish) is a disaster in itself. Not compared with the previous few seasons but it's part of the wider picture.

No trophies. Transfer market disasters every year with hundreds of millions pissed up the wall. Terrible strategy with transfers and quickly disposable attitude to players who've cost a fortune. Qualified for the CL but ruined it by a pitiful performance in it and early exit. Blew a good chance of winning the Europa League (richest team in it) with a very meek exit to a poor side. Always failing on the big occasion. A team with no identity or set way of playing because of poor strategy or a manager who can't get the team to play the way he wants.

It's the bigger picture that's the wider problem, rather than being 5th in the league.

Why do you keep going back to Rafa, ritchie? We've had three managers since him. Could we have got a better manager after Kenny's sacking?

Rafa's just an example of what i'd say is a better manager than Rodgers who would really want the job. Not that i'd look to get him back because of too much water under the bridge. When he left he's been replaced with inferior managers.

When Kenny was sacked Van Gaal wanted the job but FSG wanted a young coach to work under a DOF and a set system which they ended up throwing out anyway on Rodgers' say so. Rodgers then spent the summer targeting Swansea players which saw the owners appoint this committee which has largely been a disaster. It's one fuck up after another.

I've reached the point where I no longer feel I have any rational view of Rodgers one way or another. I'd love him to dispel my doubts and magically 'click' as a boss, but it's been an utterly bewildering season.

It feels a bit like I've been watching a tightrope walker sway about on the line for three years. Admittedly I've not taken much notice of other club's managers, but I've certainly not seen an LFC manager go back and forward so often from composed to clueless.

His big claim to fame is his tactical nous, but rarely this season has that been evident - you could dub his vainglorious waffle over footage of all kinds of clubs' up and down season and it would make about as much sense as it does for ours - and recently he's either been matched or outwitted by the likes of Neil Lennon, Gary Bowyer, Garry Monk and Tim Sherwood. About the only thing he's managed to praise himself for this season is his tactical response to setbacks, but even that begs the question - why has he had so many setbacks? Why has he become such a reactive manager, obliged to scrap his starting plan and struggle to make order out of chaos?  One of the reasons why he can sit back after games and talk so much about his tactical changes is that his initial approach has turned out to be so flawed he's needed to make the changes. That doesn't make him as good a manager as those who start out with a plan and then watch it work. He's getting to sound like a mechanic who has to keep being called back after various wheels and bits of engine fall off the car he's fixed, explaining to you each new 'fix' as you wonder when he'll ever get the thing working properly again. 

Three years on and it's still the same excuses: the squad isn't big enough or good enough; some players haven't yet understood my philosophy; the defenders aren't vocal enough; there aren't enough leaders in the team; the formation needs to be adapted to suit the players we have.

And what on earth is one to think of his motivational ability? For a team whose style relies to a huge extent on pace, there are few players who seem to be up for the fight. Alarmingly flat and flaccid against the mancs, seemingly scared to death against Arsenal and dead on their feet, and in their heads, against Villa. 

I think three years is long enough for a manager to show he's up to the job of managing a club as big as LFC. I'm no more convinced now than I was when he came.

• Upvote 4

On MOTD2 last night they were talking about players at clubs like Newcastle and West Ham where it’s fairly obvious the managers’ futures are at best in doubt, the outcome being that players aren’t that arsed about playing for their managers as they now they’re probably off and have no idea what their own futures are as players. Perhaps this is something that’s happening with us. Do the players know something we don’t about Rodgers’ position come the end of a failure of a season?

Is that why even some of our supposedly best players are persistently underperforming? Are they really not that arsed about playing for someone who’s a born underachiever at this level and who’s days are numbered? Or are our players just actually that shite? (Lovren aside, whom we know is fucking garbage and should be nowhere near this club. Twenty million pounds for that fucking joker. Jesus Christ.)

On MOTD2 last night they were talking about players at clubs like Newcastle and West Ham where it’s fairly obvious the managers’ futures are at best in doubt, the outcome being that players aren’t that arsed about playing for their managers as they now they’re probably off and have no idea what their own futures are as players. Perhaps this is something that’s happening with us. Do the players know something we don’t about Rodgers’ position come the end of a failure of a season?

Is that why even some of our supposedly best players are persistently underperforming? Are they really not that arsed about playing for someone who’s a born underachiever at this level and who’s days are numbered? Or are our players just actually that shite? (Lovren aside, whom we know is fucking garbage and should be nowhere near this club. Twenty million pounds for that fucking joker. Jesus Christ.)

Wishful thinking Redders.  We have another Season of this.

Regardless of the manager, if they didn't want to bust a gut to get to a cup final they're a disgrace.

• Upvote 2

If the players knew anything it'd leak like a sieve. Something dodgy going on though when nobody wants to sign a contract and team morale seems non existent.

I'd take Benitez tomorrow, he has proven he can win things by not spending the most, as for the

'5th spending' bollocks, his remit is to do more with less not fucking bobble along doing the absolute minimum.

Benitez won the CL and FA cup whilst having us one of the best teams in Europe CONSISTENTLY whilst not spending top dollar , it was only our dickhead sections of support that allowed our shit head owners to get rid during a turbulent time when alls he give a fuck about was making the club successful

I think the opposite, I'd get rid if we could attract someone like Klopp or Benitez, but I think they'll stick with Rodgers. I think they're fine with finishing 5th/6th every season as long as they can continue making doughnut deals.

This is what's so laughable about our support.

They want us to compete and win things but they don't want us to do what has to be done to make it happen. They want to spend money but they don't want us to make money to allow us to do that.

We've had two decades of watching Arsenal and Man Utd accelerate away on and off the pitch, a decade of Chelsea accelerating away thanks to oil money and 6 years of City doing the same.

Throughout that time supporters have lamented the fact we haven't exploited our marketability and kept up financially to allow us to compete.

Suddenly we get owners in who understand that and the snobbish nature of our support comes out looking down our noses at the financial side of football on one hand while demanding world class signing after world class signing.

Some of you need to get a grip.

• Upvote 2

This is what's so laughable about our support.

They want us to compete and win things but they don't want us to do what has to be done to make it happen. They want to spend money but they don't want us to make money to allow us to do that.

We've had two decades of watching Arsenal and Man Utd accelerate away on and off the pitch, a decade of Chelsea accelerating away thanks to oil money and 6 years of City doing the same.

Throughout that time supporters have lamented the fact we haven't exploited our marketability and kept up financially to allow us to compete.

Suddenly we get owners in who understand that and the snobbish nature of our support comes out looking down our noses at the financial side of football on one hand while demanding world class signing after world class signing.

Some of you need to get a grip.

Some of us, oh, fuck - you, actually, need to drop the precious, patronizing tone of the wiser, all knowing true supporter and realise that we are not going to attract anyone or generate any fucking income unless we start winning some fucking trophies.

Winning things, or at the very least not embarrassing ourselves against the like of Ludogorets, Basel, Besiktas and now Aston Villa, is one way of generating cash and re-acquiring an international reputation as a big club, which in turn sells the shirts needed to fund the transfers needed to win things.

• Upvote 1