You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Android Phone

AquiMan

I've recently got one of these tablets-2012 model 10 inch 10.2" Tablet PC Flytouch Superpad 7 Latest Android 4.0.4 ICS Ice Cream Sandwich HDMI output 1GB DDR3 Allwinner CPU processor 1.2GHZ Massive 20 GB Built-in Memory GPS: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

i like the feel of the android software and have managed to get xbmc working on it for unnamed ball sports and films etc.

My Iphone is on its way out and i am thinking of getting an android as i dont wanna fork out for an Iphone again and am impressed with the options on android firmware.

What phones can i get with similar capabilities? able to run xbmc /flash etc.

I thought i'd check here as i knew some of you would know of good deals etc.

any advice?

Guest San Don

The huawei G300 is a cracking android phone at around £100 on vodashite. Got one for the missus which had been rooted and run jelly bean update which is the latest although lime pie (WTF!?) is rumoured to be released soon!

Huawei Ascend G 300

IIRC, Android is linux-based and as a result there's dozens (hundreds)? of forums dedicated to rooting, open source apps an all that good stuff. People are always coming up with ways of modding the shit out of comercially available gizmos. Get the Google/LG Nexus 4 if you can be bothered to wait. It looks awesome and is designed for the modding community to run riot on it. Should be fun..

edit: A mate of mine has the Huawei g300 and the battery life is abysmal. Like I say, The Nexus 4 should be becoming available again in March for around £280 for the 32Gb version. Well worth the wait.

Guest San Don
IIRC, Android is linux-based and as a result there's dozens (hundreds)? of forums dedicated to rooting, open source apps an all that good stuff. People are always coming up with ways of modding the shit out of comercially available gizmos. Get the Google/LG Nexus 4 if you can be bothered to wait. It looks awesome and is designed for the modding community to run riot on it. Should be fun..

edit: A mate of mine has the Huawei g300 and the battery life is abysmal. Like I say, The Nexus 4 should be becoming available again in March for around £280 for the 32Gb version. Well worth the wait.

Missus has her g300 phone on 24 hours a day (she even uses its alarm to wake herself up!). True she doesnt surf the net on it a lot but she only has to charge it every other day or so!

I guess if you have bluetooth, wifi and screen brilliance etc set on all day you might have to charge it more frequently but I wouldnt say the battery is anywhere near abysmal.

Didn't want to spend to much do I got the Sony Xperia j. 150 from the three shop. Runs flash player and xbmc so I have access to all movies and sport live on the go. Boss piece of kit I'm made up with it.

Add that to my sim only 12.90 rolling month by month contract with unlimited internet and I'm happy as larry

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't want to spend to much do I got the Sony Xperia j. 150 from the three shop. Runs flash player and xbmc so I have access to all movies and sport live on the go. Boss piece of kit I'm made up with it.

Add that to my sim only 12.90 rolling month by month contract with unlimited internet and I'm happy as larry

Just downloaded that xbmc to my tablet but which sites do I need to enable to watch films and football? TIA

I am upgrading from a HTC Desire S shortly, I want something the same size with the option of a removable battery. I like the S3 mini, but I am open to suggestions.

What do you recommend?

If it helps pal, my wife did the exact same upgrade on 26th Jan.

She's blown away by the S3 mini, and to be fair the bloke in the shop did say it was good. Superb bit a kit, and she's glad she didn't go for an Iphone.

5 stars.

Just downloaded that xbmc to my tablet but which sites do I need to enable to watch films and football? TIA

Your gunna need flash player and then either get tv portal and free soccer streaming from the app store.

Or use xbmc with the sports devil add on and the 1 channel add on.

The soccer streaming app just gives u Spanish commentary , but all English games,

I go for the xbmc way as you usually get English commentary although tis a little bit more hastle to set up.

This is all purely for educational and researching purposes only ofcourse

On my phone at the minute I'll try to post the links when I'm on me laptop, but anyone wanting to research this further wouldnt go far wrong googling repositories installer for xbmc, downloading the zip and installing it to programs section of xbmc, once opened there is a host of repos inside the program for all your media needs.

/1 channel,icefilms,sportsdevil,tv catchup ,iPlayer,4od,are some if my favourites to research )

On android you will need flash player. On your device google android flash player.apk , find a trustworthy site and download and install it.

I heard of a man who has it on all of his devices ,laptop , pc rigged to tv with windows remote. etc, can be a very usefully bit if software and makes for a boss home theatre ,... so I've heard .

Your gunna need flash player and then either get tv portal and free soccer streaming from the app store.

Or use xbmc with the sports devil add on and the 1 channel add on.

The soccer streaming app just gives u Spanish commentary , but all English games,

I go for the xbmc way as you usually get English commentary although tis a little bit more hastle to set up.

This is all purely for educational and researching purposes only ofcourse

Ive got TV Portal but wasnt aware you could stream footy on it,I thought it was just to watch telly programmes.

I've recently got one of these tablets-2012 model 10 inch 10.2" Tablet PC Flytouch Superpad 7 Latest Android 4.0.4 ICS Ice Cream Sandwich HDMI output 1GB DDR3 Allwinner CPU processor 1.2GHZ Massive 20 GB Built-in Memory GPS: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

i like the feel of the android software and have managed to get xbmc working on it for unnamed ball sports and films etc.

My Iphone is on its way out and i am thinking of getting an android as i dont wanna fork out for an Iphone again and am impressed with the options on android firmware.

What phones can i get with similar capabilities? able to run xbmc /flash etc.

I thought i'd check here as i knew some of you would know of good deals etc.

any advice?

I just read that as...

"I'm interested in upgrading my 28.8 kilobaud internet connection to a 1.5 megabit fiber optic T1 line. Will you be able to provide an IP router that's compatible with my token ring ethernet LAN configuration?" in the voice of...

comicbookguy.gif