You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FA Cup: Mansfield (h) match thread

aRdja

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Awaits Major Tom's arrival to watch the arguing kick up a notch*

Meh, I don't give a shit; a goal's a goal. Check tomorrow's papers, whiners.

Is that any good, SM? I don't know what the minority position is, having not read the debate. I do hope I have taken up the contrary argument.

Gutted if not. My reputation will be shot.

Funny old game.

Next weekend if Luis pulls out a dive that would make Tom Daley proud to earn a pen or punches the ball two-fisted into the net at the Stretford End - and gets away with it - then I will laugh like a hyena.

The thought of doing it against a non-league team doesn't give me the same feeling of joy.

We should have been good enough to see them off without it. But, it happened, so into the fourth round we go.

The irony of what's happening with Suarez is that it actually has its roots in racism, there's no way he'd be subjected to what he is if he wasn't an outsider. He's portrayed as some kind of cheating south american savage.

Suarez has been publically degraded by people like commentators, journalists and mangers and fans have essentially been 'given permission' to talk about him however they want, it knocks me sick and makes me unbelievably mad.

Exactly. Goes right back to the hand of god era and beyond. South American footballers were regularly negatively portrayed in this country throughout my childhood.

I remember wearing my Arg shirt to a local pub during one of their games at Germany '06. The landlord was stylishly dressed in full England kit, including socks and cap, and along with his pals at the bar brayed at me aggressively non-stop. His triumphant key piece was "What did your father ever do to you to make you turn out like that"?

"Taught me to read widely, opened my eyes through travel, and encouraged me to think for myself. Presumably yours just gave you some crayons and an absurd deference to Royalty"? There was a fucking Sun World Cup wallchart up alongside a framed picture of Lady Di, while he claimed Bobby Moore was a better player than Diego.

Fair do's, perhaps I brought in on myself and can see why many would see it as asking for trouble. Suarez on the other hand has just come over here as one of the best footballers in the world, and played his natural game - which would be acceptable I would suggest in almost any other country. As someone else said, his mental strength must be made of girders - he's taking the full force of the bear pit week in week out. Immense individual and fuck them. All of them.

it will give the people of mansfield something to talk about for the next 50 years.

They can blame all their woes on Suarez until an abramovich type character comes in and transforms the football team and town and he brings in a certain Luis Suarez as manager.

It him unintentionally, he thought he'd cocked it up and vollyed the ball into the net out of his frustration. He turns round, sees it's been given and that's about it. People will always have a pop at Suarez, doesn't matter he didn't swat into the net and it was the officials cock up not to spot it.

It him unintentionally, he thought he'd cocked it up and vollyed the ball into the net out of his frustration. He turns round, sees it's been given and that's about it. People will always have a pop at Suarez, doesn't matter he didn't swat into the net and it was the officials cock up not to spot it.

Officials said they did see the handball , didn't deem it intentional & therefore the goal stood. If Luis had told them he had handled the ball they would have said ' we know ' so don't really get all the discussion around it.

When I did some referee exams they always told us that common-sense was the most important law, so I personally would have disallowed the goal, but Luis has done nothing at all wrong in this instance.

I really think Suarez is an idiot though. I mean, rightly or wrongly, he is viewed as a cheat in this country and he had a great chance to remove that label off of himself today but he missed it completely and now the repercussions are going to extend a lot further for him.

Yes I believe he is being unfairly targeted and he is by no means the only player who has 'cheated' during a game as it happens week in and week out in the league but the fact is the spotlight has been on him for a while. I understand his desire to win and that during a game when your so pumped up it would be hard to admit something that will impact your team negatively. However, he really did have a great chance to put himself in the good books today but stuffed up.

Good luck to him getting another penalty this season.

Still, along with Agger, he is becoming my all time favourite Liverpool player. Their commitment and desire for the shirt is unrivalled.

You my friend, are an utter quim.

Crawl up your own hoop and disappear.

The irony of what's happening with Suarez is that it actually has its roots in racism, there's no way he'd be subjected to what he is if he wasn't an outsider. He's portrayed as some kind of cheating south american savage.

Suarez has been publically degraded by people like commentators, journalists and mangers and fans have essentially been 'given permission' to talk about him however they want, it knocks me sick and makes me unbelievably mad.

Amen. Watching what's been done to Suarez from across the Atlantic has been sickening/fascinating. A witch-hunt, from start to finish.

And watching Terry walk away un-touched--if not openly excused--by the English press, just re-inforces that fact.

average performance on a terrible pitch.

Glad for Sturridge getting his first goal. He could/should have scored at least another one.

There is something strange with Shelvey. He's got all the attributes to become a world class player except shooting/finishing. His awareness, passing, movement, speed are top class. His finishing and shooting is still chapmpionship level.

Rodgers need to work on Shelvey's weaknesses urgently.

PD posted this on twwitter earlier (paraphrased) "Nazi suarez kills magic of FA Cup"

The problem for me is that everyone is implying that Luis needs to come clean and be honest about the fact that he hand balled the ball. Where as a hand ball is exactly the same as pulling someones shirt. It is a foul, a foul is a foul. No fouls is greater than that of another foul, so even if he meant it, it was just a foul. A foul that the ref missed and his assistant. Just like many other fouls that happen daily in football a mistake was made not by the alledged offender but by the officials placed in charge of the game. But then no one in football makes fouls so there is no need for officials are there? However has the offical/s come out publicly and stated that this was their mistake for missing the foul, if indeed it was a foul? No so why is the population of illiterate arm chair fans banging on about it, not to mention the bitter blue nosed muppets that seem to have forgotten Nevilles hand ball on the line in the Derby! was he hailed as a cheat or a hero? For anyone who missed that or any blue nose that has forgotten about this incident, here you go!

Muchos love to you all!

Guest San Don

LOL! Sturridge plays his first game in about 6, 7 weeks maybe with his new team mates and scores after 7 minutes. But then someone expects him to be banging in all his chances on a shitty pitch first time of asking.

Weird, but I remember one striker who cost 50m who took 14 games to score his first goal for his new club.

Think on.

As a neutral' date=' that incident was a fantastic example of sportsmanship. As a West Ham fan, I would have been fucking fuming that he didn't put the ball in the net.

The final responsibility for today's incident is with the referee. Suarez is a winner and he tries to win by any means neccessary. A few more in our sqaud with an attitude like that and we might not need to worry about how Stoke get on any more.[/quote']

he couldn't of scored from that position that is why he caught it

I remember wearing my Arg shirt to a local pub during one of their games at Germany '06. The landlord was stylishly dressed in full England kit, including socks and cap, and along with his pals at the bar brayed at me aggressively non-stop. His triumphant key piece was "What did your father ever do to you to make you turn out like that"?

A bloke had the shite kicked out of him in the town I was living at the time for daring to walk past a pub of nice decent Ingerlund fans wearing an Argentina shirt. A few days later an Argentina shirt was one of the prizes in a raffle in my local. The bloke who won it took it outside and burned it.

Yorkshire.

Bet this thread would be over 20 pages if we had lost.

At least some of our fans would have been happy that Luis would have made a geasture to the referee to cancel his goal leading the game to Extra Time and our consequent loss on penalties.

But hey ho at least Luis and threw club gained some much needed points in the eyes of the media and other clubs.

A bloke had the shite kicked out of him in the town I was living at the time for daring to walk past a pub of nice decent Ingerlund fans wearing an Argentina shirt. A few days later an Argentina shirt was one of the prizes in a raffle in my local. The bloke who won it took it outside and burned it.

Yorkshire.

This lad wasn't involved, was he?

[YOUTUBE]PL1jDcAHkc8[/YOUTUBE]

Guest ShoePiss
Having scoured the thread I'm now starting to grow concerned... is... is xerxes back from the match yet?

Class.

He went though because he made a point of saying he was setting off early.