You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FA Cup: Mansfield (h) match thread

aRdja

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its amazing that a player who is an absolute model professional away from the pitch is treated like dirt while others,including the captains of two recent European Champions, use racist abuse thats openly caught on a microphone and avoid drugs tests and yet a word is hardly mentioned on the subject.

Good old multi cultural Britain at the forefront of ridding the world of xenophobia and racism.

Gawd bless 'em.

Its amazing that a player who is an absolute model professional away from the pitch is treated like dirt while others,including the captains of two recent European Champions, use racist abuse thats openly caught on a microphone and avoid drugs tests and yet a word is hardly mentioned on the subject.

Good old multi cultural Britain at the forefront of ridding the world of xenophobia and racism.

Gawd bless 'em.

Erm, the last time I looked, Ferdinand was black.

Xenophobia towards Suarez and racism from the England Captain.

Ferdinand missed drug tests,as I mentioned.

Surely, if England was at the forefront of racism, Ferdinand wouldn't have been been captain in the first place?

Saying that, the treatment of players like Ronaldo and, now, Suarez in the press is pretty shocking while characters such as Cole and Terry appear to get a free ride. I agree with that side of your argument. The racism side of it falls a little flat for me, though!

Erm, the last time I looked, Ferdinand was black.

Since when couldn't a black person be racist?

in fact out of all the racism in football dramas recently, the only one we have any concrete proof of the offence for is Ferdinand and the choc-ice tweet yet he has got away with that scott free

Surely, if England was at the forefront of racism, Ferdinand wouldn't have been been captain in the first place?

Saying that, the treatment of players like Ronaldo and, now, Suarez in the press is pretty shocking while characters such as Cole and Terry appear to get a free ride. I agree with that side of your argument. The racism side of it falls a little flat for me, though!

You failed to see the sarcasm in my post.

Exactly. Goes right back to the hand of god era and beyond. South American footballers were regularly negatively portrayed in this country throughout my childhood.

I remember wearing my Arg shirt to a local pub during one of their games at Germany '06. The landlord was stylishly dressed in full England kit, including socks and cap, and along with his pals at the bar brayed at me aggressively non-stop. His triumphant key piece was "What did your father ever do to you to make you turn out like that"?

"Taught me to read widely, opened my eyes through travel, and encouraged me to think for myself. Presumably yours just gave you some crayons and an absurd deference to Royalty"? There was a fucking Sun World Cup wallchart up alongside a framed picture of Lady Di, while he claimed Bobby Moore was a better player than Diego.

Fair do's, perhaps I brought in on myself and can see why many would see it as asking for trouble. Suarez on the other hand has just come over here as one of the best footballers in the world, and played his natural game - which would be acceptable I would suggest in almost any other country. As someone else said, his mental strength must be made of girders - he's taking the full force of the bear pit week in week out. Immense individual and fuck them. All of them.

Brilliant. Best Post anywhere in a while. I had an Argentina shirt as well.

The lad is playing his natural game. In S America that means win at all cost, and thats what he does. Nothing wrong with that.

you inferred that Ferdinand couldn't be racist because he was black, at least thats how it came across

Not even close.

But it doesn't matter. Suarez gets a ridiculously hard time here and, I agree with Vlad, it is driven by xenophobia among the footballing press.

But, if England has a racism problem as he was intimating, it pales in comparison to the vast majority of other countries. Doesn't make it right, mind.

from the Mirror

Rodgers admitted it was a handball, but insisted there wouldn’t be much of a fuss about it, had not Suarez been involved.

“It hit Luis’s hand, there is no question about that, but it wasn’t deliberate, that’s the feeling I got when I saw it,” he added.

“Straight away I asked the fourth official if it was handball and he said ‘it was, but it wasn’t deliberate’.

“I don’t think it is a discussion. It is not his job to say it was handball. Would you ask the same if it was any other footballer if it wasn’t Luis Suarez? If it was someone else we probably wouldn’t be discussing it, because the officials clearly felt it wasn’t deliberate, which it wasn’t. When you see the replays you can see it pops up and hits him.

“But that is something the guy has to put up with. I am not sure what people want him to do in that position. I’d only say he’s got thick skin, he’s comfortable with his life in this country as a football player, and it’s part of his life. People are beginning to recognise what a brilliant talent he is.”

Guest San Don

alan marriott, mansfield keeper accues Suarez of 'laughing' when he scored after handling the ball. Really? Have a fucking word with yourself, lad.

alan marriott, mansfield keeper accues Suarez of 'laughing' when he scored after handling the ball. Really? Have a fucking word with yourself, lad.

sounds very different to what he has been tweeting

Alan Marriott‏@Mazza_78

Got a lot of time for Suarez though and to constantly call him a cheat is poor IMO! #worldclassplayer

I dearly hope it was a full on "Mwuhahahahahahahahahah!" while twinging the corner of his well-waxed moustache.