You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Premier League: Steven Gerrard could leave Liverpool in summer to further playing career

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard says he will leave Anfield for another club in the summer if he is not offered a new contract.

Gerrard joined the Liverpool academy at the age of nine and has made almost 700 first-team appearances for the Reds but his current deal expires in the summer.

The 34-year-old has played in all of Liverpool’s Premier League and Champions League games so far this season.

But Gerrard has confirmed he would not retire if he is not offered a contract extension in the summer and will sign elsewhere.  

"I can only worry about this season because I'm only contracted until May," Gerrard told the Daily Mail.

"As it stands at the moment, I'm here until the end of the season and want to make the most of it. I certainly won't be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season.

"We will have to wait and see if that's at Liverpool or somewhere else. That's Liverpool's decision. If they don't come then I will see what's out there."

Gerrard also defended Liverpool’s purchase of striker Mario Balotelli, a transfer which was described as a ‘panic buy’ by his former Liverpool team-mate and Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher.

Balotelli has only scored twice in 12 appearances and has failed to score in seven Premier League outings but Gerrard believes it was always going to be difficult to follow Luis Suarez at Anfield and that it will take time for the Italian to settle at the club.

Geoff Shreeves met with Steven Gerrard to talk about the highs and lows of his career with Liverpool
"You have to respect Jamie's opinion,” he said. “He knows football but it's too early to get on Mario's back.

"He just needs time to score the goals he needs to prove to people he is worthy of staying here. I am not going to judge him after 10 games.

"To come in after Suarez was always going to be a big ask and he's not feeling sorry for himself. He is working hard, doing extra shooting sessions.

"I've actually been impressed (with) the way he goes about his work. You hear all kinds of stories and rumours before you meet him, but he does all the work. I like the guy."

This is the whole interview

STEVEN GERRARD INTERVIEW: I've not heard from Liverpool on a new contract... I'm not retiring so next season I will be here or somewhere else
  • Steven Gerrard believes Daniel Sturridge can become Liverpool icon
  • Liverpool captain admits he's had to find solution to being man-marked
  • Gerrard adamant Luis Suarez should be considered for Ballon d'Or
  • Reds midfielder refuses to 'judge Mario Balotelli after 10 games'
  • Balotelli has struggled to make an impact since summer move
  • Cristiano Ronaldo's Anfield goal was unstoppable, claims Gerrard 

By Ian Ladyman for the Daily Mail

Published: 23:00, 30 October 2014 | Updated: 09:53, 31 October 2014 

On the training pitches of Melwood and in Brendan Rodgers’s office, Steven Gerrard is busy trying to reinvent the wheels of his career yet again.

Shorn of Luis Suarez, this is a different Liverpool this season. So far, it’s a flawed version.

It’s a different Gerrard too. It has to be. After the success of last season’s step backwards towards a holding-midfield role, the Liverpool captain has found himself hunted quarry this time and, as he looks to prolong his Anfield career, it has been time for a rethink.

1414704476080_wps_67_Steve_Gerrard_featu

‘It’s been different this season,’ said Gerrard. ‘A couple of teams have set up to man-mark me and stifle me. Against Villa (Gabriel) Agbonlahor wasn’t remotely interested in the ball or the game, only in following me. The other one was at West Ham, but Sam Allardyce has always done that with me.

‘In those two games I found it hard to influence things so I’ve had loads of chats with Brendan about how to counter that if it happens, whether it’s by moving out of position or moving further forward into a ‘10’ position.

‘We did that in a recent game and it worked really well and my form has actually been a lot better since people started to try and stifle me.

‘I think you will see changes in my game. Brendan and I have worked some things out.’

Playing for Liverpool is hard. The really big clubs — Manchester United, Barcelona, Bayern Munich — don’t suit everybody and Liverpool sit firmly in that group.

Gerrard — in his 17th season at Anfield now — told Sportsmail: ‘We have a huge following all over the world. People watch us. The pressure is on us to perform all the time, every single game. We are on the TV every three days, not once a month like most. You can’t hide, being a Liverpool player.

‘We are being judged all the time and you have to accept it and embrace it and enjoy the pressure. That’s what I have learned to do ever since I was 19. I had to. There is no hiding place. People will point fingers.’ 

There is a point to this part of the conversation. The point is called Mario Balotelli.

The Barclays Premier League’s latest enfant terrible is back for his second stint in England and is trying to find a home at Anfield.

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher — a friend of Gerrard’s — watched Balotelli toil in the recent home defeat by Real Madrid and subsequently told TV audiences he was a ‘panic buy’ who may be sold in January.

Gerrard is having none of that but, equally, as captain of his football club he knows what Balotelli must do if he is to succeed. I ask him if he feels the No 9 shirt — metaphorically speaking — weighs heavy at Anfield, given those who have passed before.

Jamie Carragher (above) believes Liverpool's £16million move for Balotelli was a 'panic buy'

1414702772245_Image_galleryImage_LIVERPO

The Italian striker celebrates scoring his first Liverpool goal against Ludogorets in the Champions League

‘Yes it does,’ was the blunt reply.

‘That shirt does weigh heavy. But so does (my) No 8. So do most of the numbers. With social media and the way the general media has gone there is so much criticism and opinion out there that if the No 9 weighed heavy 10 years ago it weighs even heavier now.’

Balotelli — who actually wears No 45 — has certainly felt that weight, even if he did score his second Liverpool goal in Tuesday’s 2-1 win over Swansea in the Capital One Cup. At half-time that night, Kenny Dalglish and Robbie Fowler were on the field. Ian Rush was in the directors’ box. It’s hard to escape the past at Anfield. 

Balotelli struggled to make an impact during Liverpool's 3-0 Champions League defeat against Real Madrid

‘I like Balotelli…he likes being the main man up front. If he wants that at Liverpool you have to score goals. He will know that.’ 

‘To be a main striker at Liverpool you have to expect the pressure and the responsibility and embrace it,’ added Gerrard. ‘Our fans have seen so many quality forwards over the years they expect new ones to be quality in every game. Above everything else you will have to score goals and score them regularly.

‘Look at the ones I have played with — Fowler, Owen, Suarez, Torres. They have always been consistent with goals and that’s what has made them the superstars they are. You have to respect Jamie’s opinion. He knows football but it’s too early to get on Mario’s back.

‘He just needs time to score the goals he needs to prove to people he is worthy of staying here. I am not gonna judge him after 10 games. To come in after Suarez was always going to be a big ask and he’s not feeling sorry for himself. He is working hard, doing extra shooting sessions.

Gerrard admits that Balotelli has a tough task following the likes of Fernando Torres (left) and Luis Suarez

‘I’ve actually been impressed the way he goes about his work. You hear all kinds of stories and rumours before you meet him, but he does all the work. I like the guy.

‘Yes, it seems he likes the attention, he likes being the main man up front. He loves the social media and loves talking to supporters and if he wants that at Liverpool you have to score goals. He will know that. And if he didn’t know it coming in then he will know it now.’ 

1414703147941_wps_46_Luis_Suarez_scores_

The Reds skipper 'can't believe' that former Liverpool striker Suarez isn't on the Ballon d'Or shortlist

‘Suarez scored 31 goals and was voted best player in the hardest league in the world. So you tell me how he’s not on the Ballon D’Or list. Incredible.’

Rodgers admitted recently that he built his team around Suarez last season and Gerrard (below) doesn’t disagree.

He thinks it was ridiculous that his former team-mate wasn’t included on the shortlist for this year’s World Footballer of the Year. ‘I can’t believe it but that’s politics in football isn’t it?’ he said.

‘He scored 31 goals and was voted best player in the hardest league in the world. So you tell me how he’s not on the Ballon d’Or list. Incredible. He should be fighting Cristiano Ronaldo for it. That’s a fact.’ 

Suarez should be Cristiano Ronaldo's (above) closest challenger for this year's Ballon d'Or, claims Gerrard

Gerrard made his debut for Liverpool in November 1998. He played 39 times during last season’s buccaneering campaign but, as peculiar as it sounds, this one could be his last.

Out of contract next summer, Gerrard would like to stay but has yet to be approached for talks by the club. ‘I can only worry about this season 'cos I’m only contracted until May,’ he said candidly.

‘As it stands at the moment, I’m here until the end of the season and want to make the most of it. I certainly won’t be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season. We will have to wait and see if that’s at Liverpool or somewhere else. That’s Liverpool’s decision. If they don’t come then I will see what’s out there.’

A young Gerrard making his Liverpool debut against Blackburn Rovers in November 1998

What is clear is that Gerrard feels he has unfinished business at his one and only club. After last season’s crushing disappointment, it’s hard to blame him. Liverpool looked set to win the Premier League until they lost to Chelsea at Anfield. Fast forward a few months and those chants and songs follow him wherever he goes.

‘Do I hear it?’ he asked with a wry smile. ‘Of course. There are thousands of them singing it!

‘Does it affect me? No, it drives me on to perform better. It has taken time to recover from last season, of course. For players and supporters. It was a huge setback when we fell short. It hit me hard.

‘I’m not looking for excuses but there are collective reasons for our stuttering start this time. We lost a key player, we’ve had a key player injured and other Premier League sides have improved.

GERRARD: MY FITNESS REGIME

If I am playing Saturday to Saturday, managing my workload during the week is key.

When I’m training off the pitch I normally do three weight sessions each day to improve my upper-body strength and one working on my lower body to improve leg strength. I also do two core or Pilates sessions to increase my flexibility because that is crucial for all aspects of my game.

On the pitch I train for an hour-and-a-half each day. That includes drills, ball work, cardio and a lot of running.

On a match day, diet and hydration is so important. They are key to your preparation because at this level now, with the speed of the game, it’s all about being focused for long periods of time. That’s why it’s so important to stay hydrated and make sure your diet is correct.

My diet is heavy with protein and carbohydrates on a match day to provide energy. That means lots of chicken, fish and eggs for the protein and pasta, rice and potatoes for the carbs. I also eat yoghurts.

Physically your diet has to be right to help you cover the ground but for the brain to function and stay focused, hydration is key. You’ve got to make sure you get the right amount of sports drinks on match day to keep your energy levels up because being hydrated is such an important part of the game.

In the morning I make sure I have plenty of fluids, so water and Lucozade Sport for the electrolytes and sometimes I’ll have another bottle before kick-off.

The Anfield icon has a very specific fitness regime to keep himself in shape throughout the season

‘That’s why we’re not sitting top of the league with everything rosy.’

Gerrard’s admiration for Suarez is ongoing. Interestingly, though, he feels the Uruguayan’s natural heir is already at the club.

‘For me, when you talk about potential in this country, Daniel Sturridge is the player with the most,’ he said.

‘Ability-wise he is possibly the No 1 (English) striker I’ve played with, when you talk about speed, sharpness and skill and different types of goals. Some of the things he does in training blow me away. He could go as far as he wants to go. 

Liverpool looked set to win the Premier League until they lost 2-0 against Chelsea at Anfield last season

1414743735137_wps_2_Close_up_of_error_by

Gerrard slips to let in Chelsea's Demba Ba and opposition fans have not let him forget it

1414703592924_Image_galleryImage_Liverpo

Gerrard has named Daniel Sturridge (right) as 'possibly the No 1' English striker he has played with

‘Last year he was in Luis’s shadow and now he is not there it’s for Daniel to be Liverpool’s iconic No 9 for many years. We need him at the moment. We need him back from injury as soon as possible.’

Sturridge will not be back for Saturday’s game at Newcastle, nor for a forthcoming meeting with Chelsea. Gerrard and Liverpool must simply hope to defend better.

Conceding goals was a problem last season and it has continued this time. Their captain has been publicly critical at times, calling his team-mates ‘soft’ on TV after a Champions League defeat at Basle. ‘We were soft in Basle,’ he said without blinking. ‘No-one (on the team) has addressed it with me so I presume they agree.

‘I think when you are captain and you’re asked a question in front of the cameras you have to be honest, or what is the point in speaking? Players who say the wrong thing, or lie, or twist what is really happening out there . . . what is the point? I’d rather not go and speak. Basle was an honest appraisal.

‘To get into the top four we have to stop conceding stupid goals. But that is something Brendan is addressing and I can assure all the Liverpool fans out there we will improve and we will get better.’

Sturridge wheels away in celebration after giving Liverpool a 2-1 lead against Southampton in August

1414744107213_Image_galleryImage_Liverpo

The former England captain is hoping Sturridge can become Liverpool's next iconic No 9

1414705483129_Image_galleryImage_Steven_

Gerrard admitted his team were 'soft' during their 1-0 Champions League defeat against Basle

Saturday brings a trip to Newcastle but next week it’s Real Madrid and the Champions League. Liverpool’s 3-0 home defeat by the European champions nine days ago was chastening and Gerrard won’t hide from it. Nor will he attempt to play down the enduring genius of Ronaldo.

‘Coaches have always said to me there are times no tactics, or anything you can do, will stop quality football,’ he reflected. 

‘That first Madrid goal (at Anfield), very few in the world can finish that. I applaud that goal, a magical goal by a magical player. 

1414703931920_wps_63_LIVERPOOL_V_REAL_MA

Ronaldo scored Real Madrid's first goal against Liverpool - which Gerrard admits was unstoppable

Ronaldo celebrates giving Madrid a 1-0 lead at Anfield in the Champions League Group B clash

'I think Ronaldo has changed from being an individual player out wide – a showman who sometimes did skill that didn’t always hurt you – to being more direct and lethal.’

‘The first I saw Ronaldo was in a friendly against Manchester United, for Sporting Lisbon. He tore the back out of John O’Shea. I felt sorry for him. It’s been interesting to see him progress, improving year by year. I think he has changed from being an individual player out wide — a showman who sometimes did skill that didn’t always hurt you — to being more direct and lethal.

‘In the old days he could be stopped.I saw Ashley Cole mark him out of the game. John Arne Riise used to do well against him.

‘Now he does all his work around the box, between the lines where you can’t pick him. I’ve never seen a player improve year by year so quickly.’

As odd as it sounds, it will soon be 10 years since Gerrard led Liverpool to that remarkable Champions League victory in Istanbul in 2005. From 3-0 down to a ‘hands on the trophy’ moment and all kick-started by a Gerrard header.

‘It doesn’t seem that long, does it?’ he smiled. I ask if he gets sentimental and he says the right thing.

‘Football works in cycles,’ he said. ‘You can’t get close to Champions League finals every single year, it just doesn’t happen.

Gerrard insists his main focus is on being successful with Liverpool over the next seven months

‘There have been times since then when we have fallen short and I expected us to do better and it’s been unfortunate. But the past is the past and we move forward.

‘As I stand I have seven months left and I want that to be successful. That’s my focus, not what could have been 10 years ago. I don’t look back.’

But, I ask, do you ever reflect and wonder just how you did it that night in Istanbul?

‘Yep,’ he admits. ‘Most days, most days.'

1414744448553_wps_3_Liverpool_s_Steven_G

Gerrard heads Liverpool's opening goal against Milan in 2005 and sparks that remarkable comeback

1414704314621_wps_66_Liverpool_captain_S

Gerrard admits he still wonders 'most days' about how Liverpool won the Champions League in 2005

And it was a shit ball from sakho.

If there is an issue, it likely centres around Stevie's desire to play in every minute of every game, and the increasing difficulty of granting that.  Ideally he shouldn't be doing so, certainly not 3 times a week, but there's no-one of his stature who can realistically cover for him in the CL just now, and his reaction were he to be rested for either those or Premiership games is unlikely to be favourable in respect of staying on further. 

I'm pretty sure he's previously made noises similar to these regarding the prospect of not being first-choice, so it's a delicate one for Brendan really.  For the various talk we'd be better off, similar was had about Carra in the years before he retired, and many of us would have given our right arm for him to still be here last season.

We'll miss him when he's gone, even this reduced version, because you lose so much more than a player.  For me it's more about using him sparingly and thus effectively, but it may well be an all or nothing option from Gerrard himself, even if not explicitly stated.  Expect some eye-opening names to come in for him if we do let him go, and to be watching him play imperiously somewhere else next season while we again struggle to re-adjust. 

I don't think he should be anywhere near the first team anymore, he's not only a bit of a passenger himself but we lost other players who are forced to babysit him.

That being said, somebody said if he stayed he couldn't expect the same wage he's on now.  That's nonsense, Liverpool is the only place he can expect that wage.  He's a commercial power house.  He's on what, £150,000 p/w (£7m per year)?  I'd guess that his shirt sales and merchandise alone generate north of £10m each season.

• Upvote 2

It's a very difficult situation in any walk of life. Someone has been the main man and has given their all for years, but clearly they are past their best, but they still have something to offer, so how do you manage all that? 

It's a thankless task for Brendan. 

As things stand I think we are more prone to getting overrun in the middle with Stevie in the side. This may have an adverse affect on the defenders, as they are not as protected as they might be. (I know we don't play with an out and out defensive midfielder, but my point is that Stevie doesn't offer all that much on that front). 

However...

Without Stevie in the side we lose an awful lot of quality on the ball. His passing and his range of passing is imperious. And we also miss his dead ball delivery. 

It's a difficult situation to manage. I half wonder if this should be Stevie's last season as something else needs some space to emerge. If he would accept a lesser role next season i.e. not a guaranteed fixture in the side, then that would be for the best, but if he expects to play each game, it might be best to let him go.

Good luck Brendan!  

I don't think he should be anywhere near the first team anymore, he's not only a bit of a passenger himself but we lost other players who are forced to babysit him.

The suggestion that Gerrard is being babysat by anyone in the team let alone a passenger is utterly ludicrous.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It's a very difficult situation in any walk of life. Someone has been the main man and has given their all for years, but clearly they are past their best, but they still have something to offer, so how do you manage all that? 

It's a thankless task for Brendan. 

As things stand I think we are more prone to getting overrun in the middle with Stevie in the side. This may have an adverse affect on the defenders, as they are not as protected as they might be. (I know we don't play with an out and out defensive midfielder, but my point is that Stevie doesn't offer all that much on that front). 

However...

Without Stevie in the side we lose an awful lot of quality on the ball. His passing and his range of passing is imperious. And we also miss his dead ball delivery. 

It's a difficult situation to manage. I half wonder if this should be Stevie's last season as something else needs some space to emerge. If he would accept a lesser role next season i.e. not a guaranteed fixture in the side, then that would be for the best, but if he expects to play each game, it might be best to let him go.

Good luck Brendan!  

Its all very well people saying Gerrard should be moved on or not worth his place in the side but you only have to look at the defence since Carragher retired.

Its not just what they do, its the experience, the organisation and yes, even other players looking to them for inspiration.

I sometimes think Gerrard would have been better served had he left the club after number 5. Some people would still have moaned about him but at least he could have gone out on a high.and proved himself in Spain or Germany.

Why? Rodgers is unlikely to not select him. A few more people who are on his case all the time might be a bit more vocal but so what? Empty vessels and all that.

Well, things are hadlry going well on the pitch are they? We've got a big week comming up where we play a resurgent side, the European Champions and the League leaders.

We've already got the Mario & Sterling circus' to contend with each week putting added pressure on us from the outside and this just adds to it a bit ahead of our next few games.

FWIW, I've got no issue with what he's said. If the club believe him surplus to requirements (personally, I don't) and he wants to keep on playing and then I wish him all the best in his future endevours - however, I bet he doesn't drop down to play for a mid-table club here, I bet one of the top 4 challengers go for him, like City and Lampard or a decent European side.

I just think the comments could have been better timed. Would it have killed him to hold off making these comments during the international break? I can't help it's him making comments in his best interests (ie I want to stay, hurry the fuck up about it) rather than the team/club as whole.

To be fair, the comments were part of a wider interview. I dont have a problem with what he's said because he's also said the team isnt playing well. And Ive never understood why players should only say certain things when a team is playing well.

Im not sure he'd go to another English side but surely if one of the top four did come in for him, that kind of cocks a snoot at those saying he's finished or needs a 'babysitter.' I think he'd go to Spain or Germany, cant see him going to Italy but you never know!