You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bettison retiring

GUS

West Yorkshire's Chief Constable Sir Norman Bettison is to retire in the wake of the Hillsborough report.

He announced he planned to leave the service on 31 March 2013.

Last month Sir Norman was referred to the police watchdog, the IPCC, over his conduct following the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

At that time of the tragedy he was a South Yorkshire Police inspector who attended the match as a spectator and later took part in an internal inquiry.

In a statement Sir Norman said: "Recent weeks have caused me to reflect on what is best for the future of policing in West Yorkshire and I have now decided to set a firm date for my retirement."

'Nothing to hide'

He added: "I hope [my departure] will enable the Independent Police Complaints Commission to fully investigate allegations that have been raised about my integrity.

"They need to be fairly and fully investigated and I welcome this independent and formal scrutiny."

Anne Williams, whose 15-year-old son Kevin died on the Leppings Lane terrace, said the findings of the recent report left Sir Norman with no choice but to retire.

She said: "I think the whole lot of them who have been involved for these 23 years should all go for the hurt that they have caused us for 23 years.

Ninety-six Liverpool football fans died after a crush at Sheffield Wednesday's ground on 15 April 1989

"I don't think he would have retired if it wasn't for the Hillsborough report."

Sir Norman's current contract with West Yorkshire Police was due to end in 2014.

His referral to the IPCC came after complaints from members of the public following the release of previously unseen government papers about the disaster at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium on 15 April 1989.

A crush during the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest resulted in the deaths of 96 people.

The complaints alleged Sir Norman had been "involved in the production and supply of misleading information for the various inquiries that have been undertaken into the Hillsborough disaster".

Sir Norman previously defended his role in the aftermath of the disaster, saying: "I never altered a statement nor asked for one to be altered."

He also said: "I really welcome the disclosure of all the facts that can be known about the Hillsborough tragedy because I have absolutely nothing to hide."

Before he is pushed? Strip him of his pension.

• 3 weeks later...

West Yorkshire Police Authority’s special committee to meet today as Norman Bettison's career hangs in balance

David Bartlett

Oct 24 2012

EMBATTLED police chief Sir Norman Bettison’s career today hangs by a thread as he faces calls to resign from his former boss over Hillsborough cover-up allegations.

His position will come under further pressure as West Yorkshire Police Authority’s special committee meets at lunch time to discuss his future.

Cllr Mark Burns-Williamson was his his boss until a fortnight ago and said the chief constable should resign now in light of allegations made by Liverpool MP Maria Eagle.

Ms Eagle used Monday’s parliamentary debate to claim that Mr Bettison, former Merseyside chief constabley, had revealed just weeks after the 1989 disaster that he had been asked to help “concoct” a story that drunken fans were to blame for the tragedy.

She used parliamentary privilege to make the allegations which were based on new evidence from witness John Barry who discussed the disaster with Mr Bettison.

Ms Eagle, a Merseyside MP, alleged Sir Norman was behind a “black propaganda” campaign.

Mr Burns-Williamson, who is now Labour’s candidate to become West Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner, said: “In light of the new evidence given in Parliament yesterday I feel Sir Norman Bettison should stand down now in the best interests of West Yorkshire Police.”

West Yorkshire Police Authority’s special committee will meet today to discuss the future of Mr Bettison.

Committee member Cllr David Kirton said: “All I can at this moment in time is that we have some difficult and serious issues to consider.”

Read More West Yorkshire Police Authority’s special committee to meet today as Norman Bettison's career hangs in balance - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

Drip, drip, drip.

Oh he's resigned!

It doesn't mean anything without any convictions but at least he's not been allowed to determine the date of his own departure. He could have resigned before so the fact he has gone now indicates he has been pushed. Also it's important not to lose sight that plenty of other officers were involved in this cover-up.

West Yorkshire Police Authority Announces Chief Constable’s Resignation (24 October 2012)

West Yorkshire Police Authority has announced today that it has accepted Sir Norman Bettison’s resignation with immediate effect.

The Chief Constable’s resignation was tendered this morning, before a meeting of the Authority’s Special Committee to consider matters arising out of the Hillsborough Independent Panel Report.

Vice-Chair of the Police Authority, Councillor Les Carter said: “I can confirm that the Police Authority has accepted Sir Norman’s resignation with immediate effect. The media attention and Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation is proving to be a huge distraction for the Force, at a time when it is trying to maintain performance and make savings of £100million. We therefore believe that his decision is in the best interest of the communities of West Yorkshire.

“Sir Norman has been West Yorkshire’s Chief Constable since 2006. It should be recognised that Sir Norman has served West Yorkshire well. He has reduced crime, increased confidence in policing and made a huge contribution to neighbourhood policing. On behalf of the Police Authority, I would like to thank him for what he has achieved here and wish him the best for the future.

“The continued leadership of the Force is of paramount importance and I have asked the Deputy Chief Constable, John Parkinson to take up the role of acting Chief Constable, subject to the formal approval of the Full Authority.”

Sir Norman said: ”I wish to make four points, and hope that each will be fairly reported.

“First, and foremost, the Hillsborough tragedy, 23 years ago, left 96 families bereaved and countless others injured and affected by it. I have always felt the deepest compassion and sympathy for the families, and I recognise their longing to understand exactly what happened on that April afternoon. I have never blamed the fans for causing the tragedy.

“Secondly, I refute the report of a conversation 23 years ago. The suggestion that I would say to a passing acquaintance that I was deployed as part of a team tasked to ‘concoct a false story of what happened’, is both incredible and wrong. That isn’t what I was tasked to do, and I did not say that.

“Thirdly, there is a due process to deal with any allegation through the IPCC and the criminal law. I remain consistent in my desire to assist those enquiries to the full, both now and in the future. These processes should help to separate facts from speculation.

“Fourthly, I sought to remain in post to address those allegations. It now appears that that will take some time. The Police Authority, and some of the candidates in the forthcoming PCC elections, have made it clear that they wish me to go sooner. I do so, not because of any allegations about the past, but because I share the view that this has become a distraction to policing in West Yorkshire now and in the future.

“I have therefore agreed to retire within the statutory notice period. It has been a privilege to serve the public as a Police Officer for more than 40 years and I wish the Force and the Police Service every success for the future.”

“Secondly, I refute the report of a conversation 23 years ago. The suggestion that I would say to a passing acquaintance that I was deployed as part of a team tasked to ‘concoct a false story of what happened’, is both incredible and wrong. That isn’t what I was tasked to do, and I did not say that."

So why hasn't he launched legal proceedings against this acquaintance for defamation? You would think he knows how the law works.

Not that I'm defending the man - but it is difficult to sue someone over an alledged "unwitnessed" comment made in a pub...... It would never get to a court, as there'd be no evidence -just one mans word against another

That and the fact that he walks away with his pension, notice, etc etc,

The full inquiry will tell its own tale anyway, and out of those 1,444 who were part of a cover up, will be exposed.

Its called Karma - it catches up with you eventually

Not that I'm defending the man - but it is difficult to sue someone over an alledged "unwitnessed" comment made in a pub...... It would never get to a court, as there'd be no evidence -just one mans word against another

That and the fact that he walks away with his pension, notice, etc etc,

The full inquiry will tell its own tale anyway, and out of those 1,444 who were part of a cover up, will be exposed.

Its called Karma - it catches up with you eventually

These words were not said in a pub it was in a office off from the courtroom when the inquest was held when the accidental death verdicts were given. As I understand some of the fammilies did hear the coppers shouting and bawling as well as seeing the coppers drinking wine and larger celebrating the verdict.

It was Maria Eagle in parliament yesterday who said that John Barry sent her a letter regarding a conversation he had in a pub with a middle ranking officer - whilst studying at Sheffield Hallam University

That middle ranking officer was Norman Bettison, who alleged that he had been asked to concoct said cover-up. Unfortunatley, I think he knows full well - as does Maria Eagle, that it would never be able to go any further - but she has been very clever in using parliamentary code in reading that letter out and naming Bettison, otherwise this would never be in the public domain, other than hearsay

It was Maria Eagle in parliament yesterday who said that John Barry sent her a letter regarding a conversation he had in a pub with a middle ranking officer - whilst studying at Sheffield Hallam University

That middle ranking officer was Norman Bettison, who alleged that he had been asked to concoct said cover-up. Unfortunatley, I think he knows full well - as does Maria Eagle, that it would never be able to go any further - but she has been very clever in using parliamentary code in reading that letter out and naming Bettison, otherwise this would never be in the public domain, other than hearsay

Barry repeated the allegations on televised news yesterday.