You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Raheem Sterling called up to the full England squad

DanDanShaw

Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling, Southampton captain Adam Lallana and Tottenham midfielder Jake Livermore have been added to the England squad for the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine on Tuesday after Theo Walcott was forced to withdraw due to illness.

The call-up is 24-year-old Lallana's first for the senior England squad, while 17-year-old Sterling has made just five Premier League appearances for Liverpool.

"It was a good opportunity to invite some young players to come in and be part of the atmosphere," said Hodgson.

"We still have enough good players to be able to deal with the game, but it's always good when you have the chance to invite these players to come in and see how things are."

He added: "With Raheem I met him at Liverpool and he played a bit in Monchengladbach. In the last two years he’s come on leaps and bounds.

"He’s been very good so this was an opportunity to bring him into the group. I will make it clear that it’s not necessarily to play him now but there might be a time in the future that he will play as a sub or even break in to the team."

The Anfield winger has been one of the standout Liverpool performers this season but his club manager Brendan Rodgers last week warned the FA not to rush the youngster following an impressive debut for England under-19s.

"I think, with young players, you have to be careful," he said. "They can be elevated above their station too quickly. It is all about individual needs.

"It might look great on the back pages that he is involved in the under-21s but the reality is that this is a kid who has made great strides over the last few weeks.

"He was absolutely fantastic through pre-season. You have seen his quality, courage and attitude in games – it has been fantastic. But, for the moment, let’s just stay calm."

Hope his feet stay on the ground, but i'm made up for the lad!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it's about time we had some arrogant bastards in the team though moof. Too many shrinking violets over the recent years.

Amen to that. His confidence in his own ability - which is evident in bucketloads - is brilliant and something we desperately need.

As for his age and him being a regular, I don't see a problem in that if he's putting in the performances, play him. Obviously the amount of games he plays needs to be managed, but I think he's already looking like an important player for us and one that other teams are scared of.

As for England: if he gets brought on does this mean Yohan Blake will not be his yardie mate anymore? Boooo!

Not sure if true but apparently Roy thought Dyer at Swansea was Welsh hence he never got the callup, doubt it's true but you know Roy.

We’ve just been discussing this in the office, all these saying “A manager of Roy Hodgson’s calibre wouldn’t be that stupid” I had to assure them of two things, he isn’t a manager of any calibre and he most certainly could.

On the call up, apparently the FA rate Sterling very highly, so just like has been suggested on here it’s probably to stop him playing for Jamaica when he turns out to be one of the greatest footballers around.

i know sterlings old P.E teacher and he said he isnt the brightest bulb but he believes that will hep him as he isn't, or wasn't aware of the pressure and expectations surrounding him.

Also said he a very nice kid, think he only said that because sterling gave him a few pairs of brand new adidas boots.

I know this is slightly off topic, but, does anyone know who Kenny was having a dig at in the Mirror regarding taking credit for Sterling's development? I got the impression that it was Rodgers, but not sure.

Here's the bit I'm talking about.

Inter Milan and Sporting Lisbon have both appointed coaches who were in charge of their NextGen sides, and the competition is one of the reasons why Liverpool’s teenager Raheem Sterling has made such a lot of progress.

It’s funny the amount of people who are jumping on the bandwagon and claiming credit for his development now after they’ve worked with him for a couple of months.

The people who deserve the credit are the people who worked with him at QPR, Rafa Benitez, who brought him to Liverpool, and the people in the academy at Liverpool who have furthered his football education.

John Henry likes this, at this rate we can sell him in Jan to buy a striker after he asks for a pay rise.

If he continues to progress I can see Chelsea making a big money offer for him, and with him being a London boy, It wouldn't shock me if he does head back down south at some point unfortunately.

Sterling is the kind of player Henry dreams of though. Nothing to do with football ability but 'resale value'. Was it 600K we paid for him? Surely even we can't lose money on this one?

If he continues to progress I can see Chelsea making a big money offer for him' date=' and with him being a London boy, It wouldn't shock me if he does head back down south at some point unfortunately.

Sterling is the kind of player Henry dreams of though. Nothing to do with football ability but 'resale value'. Was it 600K we paid for him? Surely even we can't lose money on this one?[/quote']

Deal could rise to £5m with add ons