You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You have to wonder how many of our top players will read that letter and think, shit this club has very little ambition.

If you want to keep top players you have to show ambition, you have to show you can at least attempt to compete. Very few players are fans like us, so it's no use saying if they don't wan to be here they can fuck off, because I assure you they will.

How many 'top' players do we actually have?

2 or 3?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't justify them underspending, first and foremost we are a football team and they needed to do what was nessecary to bring in a striker. Getting champions league football is massive to us or anybody who is serious about FFP. We have hamstrung ourselves. FFP you need to show a trend that you are complying or have every intention of doing so at the minute we should be taking advantage not go mental with spending but strengthen the team so that top 4 is a very real possibility, at the minute we are acting like FFP is already strictly in place and it serves only to hinder our progress.

I want the club run the right way but we are doing it too soon we haven't the foundations to build upon. FFP when it kicks in will make it harder for those outside the top 4 to ever get back in it because the revenue streams of those clubs in it will piss all over those outside of it. It just seems so short sighted and we are following a familiar path of being our own biggest downfall.

This bit is key. FFP allows a window of several years for owners to invest their own money in the club without having to get it back, essentially for it to live beyond its means.

If FFP really is a consideration for FSG, they need to take this opportunity to spend and get us back into the CL, with the revenue that brings in. Because if and when FFP comes into full effect, they won't be able to, and if we're still shut out of the CL places and have a weaker squad than our rivals, we're going to be in serious shit.

If FFP is a consideration then we have to make sure we don't spend what money we do have on shit, like we have done for the past 5 years!

All I can hear from fans is 'give us more money, and more money, and more money' If we stopped buying shit, we wouldn't need money and more money and more money. We have a £20m winger who looks a better left back, a £15m midfielder who Fulham didn't want to swap for a £6m midfielder, a £35m striker who nobody wanted and an £8m midfielder who we got £4m for. Within one year!

Add to that we have a crock of shit earning £6m a year, for the next 3 years a £20m pound midfielder that we had to pay to fuck off, and god knows how much we paid to get rid of Paulson, Konchesky, the Greek, and Hodgson, oh and a Robbie Keane who we managed to lose millions on within a matter of months!

Liverpool lost tens of millions last year, on top of the spending spree, one more year like last year and we will be in serious shit.

Just give us more money so we can keep on squandering it.

Very slick.

FSG, this is embarrassing.

"Any player that I believe can improve the squad, I will look at – there is absolutely no question about that," he said.

"We have got a very small group here. There were 19 players training [on Saturday] with some very young players among them. I cannot say no to anything. I have to look at ways to change the group. We need a reinforcement, that's obvious." Owen's age is "something that would have to be discussed."

"There is no doubt that the finances here had to be changed. That was the reality," Rodgers said of the Carroll loan deal. "But we can't do anything about it. The players have gone out. We have lost nine players. We have brought in three. From the business side, the club has done well. What we need to look after now is the football side."

Guest davelfc
If FFP is a consideration then we have to make sure we don't spend what money we do have on shit, like we have done for the past 5 years!

All I can hear from fans is 'give us more money, and more money, and more money' If we stopped buying shit, we wouldn't need money and more money and more money. We have a £20m winger who looks a better left back, a £15m midfielder who Fulham didn't want to swap for a £6m midfielder, a £35m striker who nobody wanted and an £8m midfielder who we got £4m for. Within one year!

Add to that we have a crock of shit earning £6m a year, for the next 3 years a £20m pound midfielder that we had to pay to fuck off, and god knows how much we paid to get rid of Paulson, Konchesky, the Greek, and Hodgson, oh and a Robbie Keane who we managed to lose millions on within a matter of months!

Liverpool lost tens of millions last year, on top of the spending spree, one more year like last year and we will be in serious shit.

I disagree with none of that, I doubt many do. But not buying a striker and the farce behind it, is what most of us are angry about.

Of course we have to stop spending money on shit. But we've got to spend it in the first place.

Do you think Allen, Borini, Assaidi and Sahin are all shit?

Of course we have to stop spending money on shit. But we've got to spend it in the first place.

Do you think Allen, Borini, Assaidi and Sahin are all shit?

Not at the moment!

But why do we have to spend in the first place? We spent £100m last year? Even accounting for what was brought back in (which every club does), they sanctioned spending £100m which people seem to have just dismissed as nothing, and are now calling for them to embark on another one!

Fans want them to write off £30m and sanction another spending spree, it isn't viable and it isn't healthy. We are paying the price for the shit signed last year, not for the lack of ambition of the owners.

They fucked up signing two players, they didn't deny we needed them.

I should add: This is just my opinion, not saying you are wrong but I don't agree with you at this moment.

...No, a few million for Dempsey wouldn't have broken the structure but it sounds like they've drawn a line in the sand that they're not going to cross. None of us have crystal balls and nobody's sure 100% that what they're doing strategically will work or not. What is clear is that if we'd carried on doing what we were doing even up to a year ago we were well and truly fucked...

I welcome the timely response to fans' cancerns that we're falling further behind yet hitting new lows when we should've been improving under the new ownereship cum coaching regime. All commendable as well sticking to their principles to put us on a sustainable footing for the long term, but shouldn't be achieved at the expense of room for flexibility. Those couple of millions they were looking to save with regard to Dempsey could well end up being the difference between us finishing fourth or mid-table once again. Henry's letter has also dashed any hope of getting anyone on a free till window reopens in January. No good!

His mission is accomplished now. We played a game at his beloved Fenway Park, and he could show his family and friends in USA what fantastic team he was the owner of. With the likes of Joe Cole, Danny Wilson and Charlie Adam.

Why would we complain? We got Assaidi and Yesil! Two players no one ever heard about. But i'm sure John Henry watches both the Dutch League and German reserve league. Cause he's not just a fantastic business man, he's a scout, professional liar, football expert and insider as well.

Not at the moment!

But why do we have to spend in the first place? We spent £100m last year? Even accounting for what was brought back in (which every club does), they sanctioned spending £100m which people seem to have just dismissed as nothing, and are now calling for them to embark on another one!

Fans want them to write off £30m and sanction another spending spree, it isn't viable and it isn't healthy. We are paying the price for the shit signed last year, not for the lack of ambition of the owners.

They fucked up signing two players, they didn't deny we needed them.

I should add: This is just my opinion, not saying you are wrong but I don't agree with you at this moment.

You assume that if FSG spend their own money, it'll be wasted on shit. The reason I know you assume this is because you keep going on about last year's wasted spending in response to people demanding that FSG invest.

You're happy to trust Rodgers with spending the club's own money own players, but you think that if FSG give him some of their own cash he'll spontaneously have a brain meltdown and spunk it all on overpriced shite.

Just cos you spent money and it didnt work you dont then just stop

thats not football and it never will be

its not an exact science, football transfers, some come off, some dont, you take the hit and you move on

to close the cheque book just cos it backfired is a joke

And yet there are an extraordinary number of people on this site who take precisely that outlook.

If you have confidence in a manager, you trust him to spend money whether it's the club's or your own. If you're concerned about risking your own money, you appoint football people who know their stuff to oversee the spending and query the manager if they think he's making a big mistake.

If I started a new job and I was expected to rescue a failing project or business, if I knew an injection of money was needed to do it, if I knew the people who appointed me had the money available, and if they then said to me you can't have it because the last bloke fucked up - I'd walk pretty fucking sharpish.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 at a push

I'd say we have more in the fact they would bring in a decent price because of their name and not their form. We would be in the shit if even two of them wanted out and we continue to go down the cheap and promising route.

Players who would command a decent transfer fee.

Reina.

GJ

Skrtel.

Agger.

Suarez.

Gerrard.

Lucas.