You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nuri Sahin

WhiskeyJar

Shelvey would walk 20 minutes into that game. Straight red.

Depends; it's altogether possible he's learned something from last time. Do we keep him wrapped up in cotton wool for the rest of his career just in case? The game is just as likely to completely pass Sahin by, so in that case we would be down to ten anyway.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Wasnt happy to be taken off yesterday that's for sure.

I'm not surprised, he was playing well the first half, then we started playing a more direct style and the pressure was then on our midfield. When Shelvey went on he was trying to force things, but leaving. Ofmassive gaps. That was, in my opinion, a bit of a mistake by Rodgers. We needed to keep possession but having Shelvey on for Nuri put us under pressure.

Depends; it's altogether possible he's learned something from last time. Do we keep him wrapped up in cotton wool for the rest of his career just in case? The game is just as likely to completely pass Sahin by, so in that case we would be down to ten anyway.

I love him but if I am Rodgers I would pick my spots. It is going to be the usual melee for the first 30 minutes at least and he could get loose very early. Certainly you don't want to discourage him from playing his game.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No he isnt.

Sahin' date=' the Turkish international, Bundesliga winning captain on loan from Real Madrid is a better player.[/quote']

I'm not sure Sil much appreciates players like Sahin.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Sahin is a better player than Shelvey' date=' but at the moment Shelvey is a better player for us.

There, that wasn't too hard to resolve.[/quote']

Better how? I like the baldy beauty, but I just don't agree with that at all.

I would say that is arguable. Sahin scored 3 in 2 games for us 3 weeks ago.

He did, against Norwich and Udinese, where he had more time and space on the ball, but against Stoke and Reading he didn't seem up to the physical side of the game and it largely passed him by. He was also blowing by the hour mark. There are games when I would definitely prefer him in the side, but not against Everton at Goodison and not for certain other league games which have a more physical component. Those are games where, in my opinion, Shelvey is much more suited. As Sahin adjusts there may come a point where that is no longer the case, hence my post saying he's a better player but not better for us right now.

While I'd play Shelvey against Everton, it would be in our interest to make a player with Sahin's qualities work for us. He was immense against Norwich when they gave him a bit of space but struggles in tighter games, a situation not dissimilar to Alonso when he first arrived here. It's not unreasonable to assume a footballer with his range of skills will improve with experience in this league.

Better how? I like the baldy beauty, but I just don't agree with that at all.

See my post below yours. Shelvey is up to speed in this league, but Sahin is not yet. I think Sahin will probably end up the better player for us before the end of the season as he gets acclimatised, but that time has not come yet.

Sahin has been hot and cold so far but the quality is evident. I just have a feeling Rodgers is not yet playing him to his strengths, likewise with Gerrard.

Personally I would prefer Lucas (when he's fit) in the 3 alongside Gerrard and Allen. Where that leaves Sahin I don't know.