You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

Because very few of them are anywhere ear good enough to achieve the aims we're setting ourselves over the coming seasons. 10, 20, 50, it doesn't matter; if they're all like Adam, Spearing, Henderson, Shelvey, et al, we're not going to get anywhere.

We need quality, not just quantity. Honestly, people on here - not necessarily you - need to wake up and realise how poor our squad is. Would Adam, Shelvey, Spearing, Henderson, Cole, and their ilk have played any significant amount of games in the Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Sissoko side?

There's a reason why those players got us into the top four with ease and challenged for the title, and there's a reason why we're finishing 6th-8th. It's not hard to work out.

Henderson and Shelvey would definitely get game time... Those four couldn't start every match.

Guest ShoePiss
Because very few of them are anywhere ear good enough to achieve the aims we're setting ourselves over the coming seasons. 10, 20, 50, it doesn't matter; if they're all like Adam, Spearing, Henderson, Shelvey, et al, we're not going to get anywhere.

We need quality, not just quantity. Honestly, people on here - not necessarily you - need to wake up and realise how poor our squad is. Would Adam, Shelvey, Spearing, Henderson, Cole, and their ilk have played any significant amount of games in the Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Sissoko side?

There's a reason why those players got us into the top four with ease and challenged for the title, and there's a reason why we're finishing 6th-8th. It's not hard to work out.

Hanky, our goal is what? Well, I think it's maybe finish 4th (lucky!), maybe. If not 6th will be ok. We don't need anything for that, be happy.

5th! Sweet! We finished ahead of Spurs or maybe Chelsea! We can't ask for more!

Remember when we? Ah fuck it.

"Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Sissoko side"

It hurts to read that. What a midfield. What the f**k happened?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more than a side helping if he rated barry and aquilani over alonso.

allen hasn't looked great for gb for me and although I rate him, anything much above 10 million smacks of henderson territory....

Sod Allen. We should spend the 15m on a decent scout and a top negotiator.

Some of the prices we get quoted when we enquire after relatively unknown/inexperienced players-like Allen/Henderson- are astronomical.

On the flip side, some of our very best players are allowed to go for the same kind of prices. Somebody pointed out that City were weighing up £13m bid for Agger. £13M?? We'd get quoted that if we asked about Robert Huth! They signed Lescott for £24m the cheeky bastards!

The money Spurs will no doubt get for Modric will be well over the odds (albeit he's a good player) because they simply wont budge. If the player sulks they just say tough shit.

Agger and Skrtel are both £20m based on current market value, market value being the ludicrous merry go-round that City themselves created.

Guest San Don

We knocked back city's 'bid' of £13m straight away, didnt we?

Its the manc press trying to make out we're going to sell one of our better, if injury prone, players for that amount. With 2 years left on his deal, there's no way Agger is going anywhere for less than £20m.

I am trying to determine how much a club would pay for someone like Alan Shearer who went for 15million to Newcastle from Blackburn in today's market.

Going by that 15million in 1996 and the 15million is rumored for Fletcher, then I calculate Shearer would go for 34.5 million.

I could be totally wrong though....

I am trying to determine how much a club would pay for someone like Alan Shearer who went for 15million to Newcastle from Blackburn in today's market.

Going by that 15million in 1996 and the 15million is rumored for Fletcher, then I calculate Shearer would go for 34.5 million.

I could be totally wrong though....

Sounds like you are using the UKs actual inflation rate? Football transfer fee inflation has been much higher. Shearer was the World record fee at the time, its now £80m.

Forgetting about the fee anyone seen him a fair bit and think he is a good signing?

His stats (I know) are impressive and they are the good kind of stats like Passing Accuracy and stuff not the Downing kind

I'll be made up if we sign him. Our usage of the ball last season was abysmal at times.

Sounds like you are using the UKs actual inflation rate? Football transfer fee inflation has been much higher. Shearer was the World record fee at the time, its now £80m.

You are right, its more like 48million, was not far though.

GBP_Transfers1.png

Its called the Transfer Price Index.

Also Heskey, 31million....

You are right, its more like 48million, was not far though.

Its called the Transfer Price Index.

Also Heskey, 31million....

Having had a quick read, I would say this TPI still undervalues Shearer now. They have calculated the TPI using all the transfers in each season to get an average, so it is a good approximation to tell the difference between what an average player would have cost at different points (eg what Fletcher would have cost in Shearer's time). The 2 main issues are, without giving it too much thought, that there are more bosmans now than there were around Shearer's time, bringing the average down, but also the price at the top end of the market has increased quicker still than the average price.

Torres, on the back of an injury plagued and somewhat lathargic 6 to 12 months and having only managed to score over 20 league goals in a season once = £50m. Shearer on the back of being top scorer at the Euros, and having scored over 30 league goals in each of the previous 3 seasons = a lot more than £50m.