You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

No you got it wrong.

They wont accept it had anyone else did not make a bid.

Once another club did make a bid, that means the player is up for grabs.

Once that happens then Liverpool can bid 15million for him, which then activates the clause on the players contract.

Let me break it down:

IF: (Arsenal, Chelsea + Spurs) bid,

THEN: (ACTIVATE Liverpool Bid)

IF: (Liverpool) bid => 15million, SELL

ELSE IF: (Liverpool) bid <=15million, sell to (Arsenal, Chelsea + Spurs)

END IF STATEMENT

END QUERY

[YOUTUBE]IRsPheErBj8[/YOUTUBE]

Guest davelfc
It is alarming that of the 4 players we bid for this summer 3 of them played for him at Swansea and the other is Clint Dempsey, not exactly thinking outside the box is it.

And it's not like he's american, you know for shirt sales and marketing. Oh hang on.

(not that I'm suggesting he doesn't score goals, because he scores more than our strikers)

All managers do that when they first go to a club, though. He's basically starting to build the squad that he wants so the first players he's going to bring in are ones that he trusts and knows very well. Less of a risk that way.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
All managers do that when they first go to a club, though. He's basically starting to build the squad that he wants so the first players he's going to bring in are ones that he trusts and knows very well. Less of a risk that way.

Yeah. It's likely we could end up with Allen as the only Swansea player, and a Roma player who was loaned out for a short time. I don't see the big deal. It's not like we're signing Paul Konchesky, he's a top prospect.

That's all well and good. Problem is, we've got a championship manager buying players he knows.

That's all well and good. Problem is, we've got a championship manager buying players he knows.

Yawn

Edit: in fact, I'm sick of your agenda driven bile. Allen is one of the most highly rated young players in the country and Borini is the next big Italian striking prospect. How do they equate to championship level players?

I suspect you're the type of person who wouldn't be happy unless we signed a few players for 30 million.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He scored well from midfield the season before, too. He's clearly an attacking player with drive. It all depends what role he is supposed till, how much he costs, and if we'll even get him.

Spot on. Allen understands instinctively what Rodgers demands, can hit the ground running and lead by example to those who are learning the system. This is a big attraction to a manager.

However, I think we will need better DM cover for Lucas than Jay this season and that's before addressing the need for an attacking wide midfielder other than Downing. Unless Allen will fill that role because it won't be Gerrard Henderson Aquilani Adam or Shelvey. And can't see Cole having the legs to be more than a bit part player this season.

Guest davelfc

I get that, usually they have a more experienced career and can cast their net out further. I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm concerned a little but I'm also optimistic that he knows these players and trusts them to do well here. Could have done with that kind of insight in previous seasons.

Believe me, that's the first time I've used 'optimistic' to describe anything to do with the club since they sacked Kenny.

to be honest the more I think about this one the less convinced I am about it, he is a very good player but at the same time I can't see him changing us from a Europa to Champions League team and its 15million out of the budget when we desperately need wingers (plus a striker if Carroll goes) and possibly even left back if Jose doesn't sort himself out and already have 25 centre mids, including 2 very promising ones of a similar age to Allen

He scored well from midfield the season before, too. He's clearly an attacking player with drive. It all depends what role he is supposed till, how much he costs, and if we'll even get him.

I agree Hank. I've only seen the You Tube vids but on them he looks quite pacy, powerful and direct. Goes past oppo players with the ball quite easily. He seems ideal for switching very quickly from defence to attack. This was an attribute clearly lacking from us last season. For those reasons, it's a thumbs up from me.

can someone describe what sort of player allen is for me by comparing him with another player past or present.

I've seen him play once against us at anfield but to be honest I can't remember anything other than their whole midfield looked like midgets.