You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fabio Borini

moof

Know fuck all about the lad, therefor I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do and hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'd much rather take a chance on a kid like this than paying double for some British no mark like Darren Bent who we'd probably have went for in the past couple of seasons. I'll trust the managers judgement, and havin worked with him twice before he will know him more than most and know if the lad is cut out for it.

This for me. I'm looking forward to the season more with signings like these than I would with 20m+ fees that we would be paying for the likes of Bent.

I think most are positive or at least hopeful. I can't recall anyone saying he's going to a failure, if they have they're in a very small minority and not really worth commenting on.

Gary Mcallister is a shit comparison as he was a seasoned pro, one of the best around for a number of years and it's probably before the time of some here ha!

Edit: oh you're on about Deuce. He's average really. A decent player and will be ok for a season, not top four material. Marketing? Yeah I see fucking loads of Fulham and USA Dempsey shirts. Nonsense.

For an average player he has as good a scoring record (or better) as any of our forwards over the last 5 years or so bar Torres, and he was playing under Woy for some of that. Yup he's that average...

And as for marketing, the yanks will want a yank player to increase interest. Last time I checked Fulham was owned by Al Fayad, not yanks? so your point is, well pointless.

Decent write up on Borini from The Mirror here. He seems to be a player half Inzaghi and half Kuyt from that. Let's hope Rodgers can make him display the good sides of those two players and not the bad, for a player with the first touch of an african warlord on a rape rampage who constantly moans, dives and is offside would be enough to make any fan top himself.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-target-fabio-borini-what-1139607

A team player and model pro: What Liverpool can expect from Fabio Borini by Italian football expert Mina Rzouki

He's still a boy off the pitch but can be the man for Brendan Rodgers on it, says our Serie A ace

The Fab forward: Borini in action for Roma

Getty

Off the pitch it is evident that Liverpool target Fabio Borini is still a very young man. Reserved and softly spoken, his mannerisms regularly betray him revealing a nervous edge. Looking away as he answers his questions, his personal life guarded with ferociousness.

Fab deal: Liverpool agree £12m fee with Roma for Fabio Borini

On the field however, we see the other side of the hungry striker. "I like his anger," Carlo Ancelotti grinned as he described the young Italian he used to manage at Chelsea. "His meanness, and his desire to always be the first on the ball."

As a player, Borini is the poster child for dedication and commitment. For him, football is simply not a game to enjoy but rather a profession to master. It is this precise determination to succeed that has seen Borini establish himself both at club and international level. Perhaps the precise reason why, as a youngster, he often deliberated over his decision to be a footballer. How much will he have to sacrifice to be the very best?

Born into a family of athletes, Borini knew he had to be a sportsman. His father Roberto ran the 400 metres races at an amateur level, his sister Gloria was a long jumper whilst his mother Cynthia regularly partook in marathons. Sport was the answer and Fabio entered the world of football becoming a youth product of Bologna, the football club he and his family supported.

Fabio Borini: he's got a point

Getty

Determined but rarely spectacular, Borini always played alongside someone who appeared to be better than him. Yet despite his relative mediocrity, it was difficult to ignore his predatory nature and his instinct for goal. So much so that Chelsea came knocking.

Leaving his country and his family behind, Borini came to England and the sacrifices for his profession had begun. He often spoke of loneliness, of the difficulty in settling into a country he felt to be so different to his own but gradually he began to enjoy it. He took up cooking lessons, trained heavily and quickly became the first choice striker for the Chelsea reserve team before scoring 10 goals in 11 games the next year to finish as top scorer.

Borini's eye for a goal and his great finishing demanded attention. "At Chelsea, Ancelotti defined me as a nuisance like [Filippo] Inzaghi," he recalls. Displaying the same hunger for goal and the same lethality in the box, Borini was a little Inzaghi but to describe his as just a goal scorer is simply an injustice.

Tactically flexible, the ex-Chelsea player can play any position in attack, on the left, through the middle or on the right. He can play as the centre forward or as a second striker as he can exploit his pace and willingness to uncover space when deployed in a more withdrawn role. Additionally, his sacrificial nature sees him eager to provide for the side when out of possession whilst statistically, he produced more tackles than any other attacking player for Roma last season.

Can Borini tackle Liverpool's league form?

Getty

His overall game combined with his intensity intrigued Ancelotti, who offered him the chance to form part of Chelsea's Champions League squad. The Italian Coach always smiled when he recalled the boy, explaining to la Gazzetta dello Sport how the 17-year-old ordered his teammates to turn off the stereo that was pumping rap music, as it always did before every game. "I need silence to concentrate!"

It's perhaps interesting to note than when asked what was the most important lesson he learned as a young footballer, Borini replied: "In the locker room, the newcomer should always be quiet. In the beginning I used to just say what I thought."

The striker was loaned out to Swansea where he scored six goals in 12 matches, Parma than decided to bring Borini back to Italy in the summer of 2011 before loaning him out to Roma, who had just embarked on a new project with Luis Enrique at the helm.

Under the Spaniard, Borini developed his game even further and, despite fierce competition from Roma's vast array of attacking talent, the young striker grabbed the many chances he was offered to exhibit his talent. His undeniable technique, his work off the ball and his pressing game proved invaluable for Roma and his devastating performances against Claudio Ranieri's Inter side and Palermo allowed his team to accumulate much needed points at a time in which they were fighting for a spot in Europe.

So what can he bring to Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool side? Fiercely competitive and eager to impose himself, Borini is curiously calm under pressure and hardly ever intimidated regardless of the amount of stars he has played alongside. Aware of his quality, his insatiable right foot and the ability to score goals, he finished last season as Roma's second highest goal-scorer.

Despite his many qualities, though, Borini is very much a boy whose talents require refinement. The easiest Roma player to be dispossessed, he struggles for control at times and his natural inclination to always play the ball to feet makes has seen him fail in his attempts to provide crosses to the middle. Curiously Liverpool were statistically the most successful side in the Premier League last season in terms of crossing ability but Rodgers' Swansea side were one of the poorest.

What Liverpool can expect, should they manage to complete the deal, is a team player and a model professional. Borini may be reserved off the pitch and uninterested in joining his teammates on nights out but on the pitch, he will do all he can to provide them with what they need to drive their team forward.

[hrIGHT][/hrIGHT]

Borini's young and could develope into a proper player. I've no problem with that type of signing.

Dempsey's average shit and only going to get worse once he hits 30 this season.

So you expect Stevie Gerrard to be stit this season? Just beacause he's over 30? Sorry mate but that's a bit of a silly statement to make these days, players have far more technology assisting them to extend their careers. Lot's of players play at the highest level well into their 30's - Lampard, Drogba, Giggs, Scholes off the top of my head and many many more.

Here's an idea. Instead of turning over the squad and flogging five average ones with five average in, why not spend the money on some quality. It might just stop us from sitting here next year, wondering why we've not moved forwards.

Lets discuss what we have got, not what we might have according to Goal.Com. We have got Borini - we were woefully short of forwards last year so this is a definite improvement. We've let Kuyt go, Even if Adam Morgan steps up from the reserves that will be an improvent.

Why not wait until we get something concrete (another Kuyt) before we make a judgement on what might be?

Sad times when spurs are moving further ahead of us and they're not even in the top four clubs in the league.

Spurs business for the season isn't done yet - there's still talk of them losing some key players before the start. Again - let's wait and see.

I'll send you a PM to tell you how to do the multiple quote thing.

Calm down, will you? Borini seem to be a steal at that price, but we haven`t signed him yet,and now AC Milan need a new striker.

I will celebrate when it is official, not a second earlier.

What'sa matta you, hey Gotta no respect, whatta you think you do Why you looka so sad? It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a place Ah, shaddap you face

Read it again fella - I wasn't comparing them, I was using them as examples of players age.

Yeah, drawing parallels between their situations to make a point (almost like a comparison!!), poor examples because of the gulf in quality. Considering BBB's point was based on Dempsey being average BEFORE decline sets in (which is an overstatement as I think he's a bit better than that) using top drawer players as examples doesn't help your case.

Murphy would be a better example, but then Murphy at Fulham played regularly (which helps maintaining the right condition) in a system that supported what he was good at while working hard to cover his weaknesses. Even then Fulham were a weak midfield proposition most of the time. Maintaining a career at the same level beyond 30/32 is certainly as possible as ever with modern training methods and technology, but more often than not doesn't happen and when it does it's often a matter of perspective (Murphy would not have been as good for so long playing sporadically for us where the focus is much more on faciliating other better players) in terms of looking at the system they are playing in.

In my opinion signing Dempsey is like signing another Maxi or Joe Cole, yeah he might be cheaper, but he brings nothing to the table that they don't (apart from cache in the US) and has the risk of decline with reduced minutes and more work when on the field (which is what fucked Adam up as well).

Yeah, drawing parallels between their situations to make a point (almost like a comparison!!)

Almost, but not. Not a comparison at all.

poor examples because of the gulf in quality.

Why does an example showing age have to take into acount quality when quality is NOT the issue being discussed? That seems wierd to me.

Considering BBB's point was based on Dempsey being average BEFORE decline sets in

I disagree, the post I replied to was him saying he will go downhill as he will be 30 before the end of the season - nothing to do with his quality.

(which is an overstatement as I think he's a bit better than that) using top drawer players as examples doesn't help your case.

I wasn't using "top drawer" players as an example - I was using players who played on into their mid (and beyond) players.

Murphy would be a better example

If you want to use Murphy as an example then feel free to do so - the same point remains, and that is that 30 is not always an indication of the end of a career for footballers these days.

The rest of that wasn't relevant to the post I made so I ignored it - I suggest you find someone who is arguing against those points to pick it up with them.

I understand that you may have misunderstood my original post but now that I've explained it to you further posts on this from you will really be a little silly. I've told you what the aim of my post was so carrying on to tell me I'm wrong about an element that was never there in the first place is not my problem.

Pidge is right. I do expect Dempsey to start declining from here on in. And yes I expect Gerrard to keep declining with age as well.

Difference being Gerrard at 29 was amazing. Dempsey at 29 is a mid table player, he'll soon be an ageing mid table player with no resale value.

You're entitled to an opinion. I'm entitled not to agree with you.

The step up in class that Rodgers is making demands better quality players to play the kind of football he wants. Borinin sounds a skilled player who'll also graft and who'll fit into the system without needing it to be built around him.

How many good players like that are actually out there? Rodgers knows him and how he'll fit in. Welcome to Liverpool.

I'd love for us to finally get a bargain after last summers fees, I'd love to get Dempsey for 4 million or around that mark. He's a proven player who scores goals in a position we lacked in last year, Borini is another good signing for us. I do worry about Carroll after hearing the praise for Henderson and Maxi compared to the 'we'll see' element when mentioning him. He'll be back after a good run at the Euros and could come into some form, it's a very big decision by BR to make. I just hope it's the right one.