You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2012/2013 a new beginning

A.V.B.

It might just be me but I'm highly optimistic that Liverpool Football Club are about to change, and for the better.

There are worries but I don't think they are as big as people make them out to be. Let's start there though and with Pepe Reina who is reportedly being tracked by AC Milan and others but if they want him they will have to pay and pay big because the Spaniard is contracted till 2016 to the tune of 80k a week. While losing Pepe Reina would be the biggest loss to this club in years, we would be compensated for our loss unlike in previous years where we've allowed players to walk. We've got decent back up keepers in Jones (gets far too much stick and is a good back up) and Doni (not a fan but he's not horrible). Gulacsi is one to watch definitely.

Skrtel and Agger are next on the list but again, how much would we really miss either or both? Skrtel is contracted to 2014 and the same can be said of Agger. I like both, I'd rather keep both but given past history neither can be described as irreplacable. Skrtel was rightfully our player of the season and has come on to be an excellent cb and when fit Daniel Agger is second to very few in the world. The good news is that it seems both are looking to stay anyway and while neither are irreplacable until you have a definitive replacement it is obviously better to keep both! Both players have spoken of contract extensions recently and Agger especially seems to be looking forward to this new era under Brendan Rodgers.

Jose Enrique and Glen Johnson are both extremely talented footballers, though both are prone to horrendous defensive lapses, not exactly what you want from your full backs. Enrique perhaps was just having problems settling in and his form at Newcastle before we bought him would suggest exactly that. He is one of the most underrated left backs in the world for my money and will be more than at home under Rodger's style of play.

One seemingly overlooked part of England's "triumph over adversity" (if you believe the media) was Glen Johnson. If he can bring back the same defensive ability he showed in the Euros where he was hard to get past and constantly covering for other players then it would be like signing a world class RB only on a free. As with Enrique the talent is there for either or both to be very special players indeed, in fact our back four in its current guise if it stays together with the young replacements we have to come through like Robinson, Wisdom, Sama, Wilson and Flannagan and that's before I mention Martin Kelly who is clearly the best of the lot at this time and Sebastian Coates.

Onto midfield and given how I believe Rodgers will setup (3 man midfield) we will need first of all a positionally clever player who is able to break up the play, keep it simple and be the first part of turning defence into attack. In Lucas we have one of the best in the world at doing this. Anyone who wants to get rid of him or talk about how limited he is should stop trying to analyse football now because you just don't get it. I'd like to see another player brought in who can do the same job when Lucas is suspended or injured because it's a massively important role. We all live in hope that this is a role that Connor Coady can find his way into in the near future.

The second part of the midfield has to be a player that can control the tempo of the game. This player needs an engine, they need to be willing and able to put a foot in in the middle of the park and they need to be intelligent enough to know when to pass the ball short, long and as a bonus they can chip in with the odd goal. Step forward Steven Gerrard. When fit this position is his, it's not even debatable. Who comes in when he's not fit though? Well I believe Jordan Henderson could make this role his own in years to come. Henderson has all the tools other than he needs to battle more in the midfield but I'm not as worried as others because the same could be said early in his career of Bastian "I'm not a right winger either" Schweinsteiger. Like Schweinsteiger, Henderson is a very intelligent player who needs to work on the defensive aspects of his game and like Schweinsteiger if we persevere and take into account the natural abilities he has to play this position we will be smiling in the long run. Jonjo Shelvey should also excel in Rodger's style of play and potentially could fight with Henderson also for this place. Of the reserves keep an eye on Jack Roddan who has all the attributes to make it to the first team if he keeps his head down and keeps going the way he is.

The third part is a player Liverpool have searched for for years but never found or at least never been able to incorporate into the side. It's the role of the cultured attacking midfielder who plays that "Xavi" role, they get the ball, they keep the ball, they wait for the perfect pass and then they play it. Look at any great side in world football and they all have them. Germany have Ozil (who again speaking of persistence started at Stuttgart in the centre of midfield and was often berated for his lack of tackling ability!), Spain obviously have Xavi, Real are also soon to have Modric and like Modric there will be another young player somewhere who is yet to be found but will be hiding in some lesser known club just waiting to be found. Gerrard can play this role it goes without saying but at this moment in time IF we are to sign Sigurdsson then I'd rather see him in the role with Gerrard behind. Of course having Gerrard, Sigurdsson and Henderson to rotate in these roles would be a fantastic luxury and it's also worth noting that Sigurdsson can play on the right as well (watch him go to Spurs now!). In the reserves we have a player who must be jumping for joy about the new manager's appointment and his name is Suso. Another who only recently arrived himself Joao Teixeira is also massively suited to the role and again gives us a brighter outlook for the future.

Okay time to get the biggest question out of the way, will Andy Carroll stay? Well again it's not the worst position to be in. Apparently a few German clubs and Italian clubs were impressed with his showing in the Euros and they might be making a bid. Should we keep him? Of course we should. His potential is through the roof. If you doubt what he is capable of just take a look at his showing against the champions of this country Manchester City (wow that feels weird saying that) and tell me he's not got world class ability when he wants to know. Everything about him has improved and will continue to improve and while he isn't the most mobile of strikers he's capable of getting goals. Some people would have you believe that you have to be Falcao to play in Brendan Rodgers system but it's simply not true. Swansea scored a lot of headed goals or from balls into the box from out wide and with better service I believe Andy Carroll is more than capable. He's still only young and as with most centre forwards of his build he still has a lot of learning to do. Take a look at Drogba's stats if you don't believe me when he was the same age! He's a diamond but he's as rough as they come. Like with Henderson we could ignore the quality there is and throw him away like some kind of cashmygold trade in but like that we'd be losing out massively. Carroll should stay, he should start every game or as close to and he should have a player on the bench who can relieve some of the pressure for him but who is not considered first choice. While I think we should sign a backup I also think Adam Morgan should be given a chance to show what he can or can't do.

Luis Suarez is the closest thing to irreplaceable we have, even more so than Pepe in my opinion and with him already contracted to 2016 and speaking about extending that contract we're either going to get a lot of money or a world class player for a good few years, preferably the prior! The role he employs is one of "support striker" and if we are to sign Gaston Ramirez (which I sincerely hope we do) then we will have two players who have skill, are unpredictable, can score and make goals and will improve as well as no doubt being able to play well with each other. Gaston Ramirez is everything we lacked when Suarez was out and everything we lacked on one side of the pitch when he was back, he's like a Suarez clone almost and carries the same steely determination and mercurial ability that would leave us in awe just as Luis does.

With young players like Adorjan and Sterling also ready to add that unpredictablity and element of the spectacular I again believe we're in a better position than people think we are.

And where are all these players plying their trade? Here. The youth setup that Guardiola declared was second only to La Masia

How about the even more long term future? Well Vilyan Bijev is apparently very highly regarded along with Nacho and Marco Bueno is one of the highest rated players in the world and already has one foot in the door at Anfield.

Then there are the "also rans/ out the doors". Bellamy, Maxi, Aquilani, Joe Cole, Spearing, Carragher (sorry but it's true), Downing, Adam anyone I've missed?

Perhaps maybe, just maybe things arn't as bad as they seem and maybe a deep breath and a look at what we have not what we haven't might show that we're still a much better club than our 8th place finish dictates.

It won't happen over night but there is more than enough for this club to build on to take us forward and that's all we can really ask.

Interesting read and some very good points lad but more importantly, are you going to spurs? and if so, will you fuck off trying to take sigurdsson?

I can't divulge that information at this time.

On the interesting note, Twitter decided to go a bit mad while I was writing this and this is springing up everywhere now.

Gazzetta dello Sport and Sky Italia are running stories confirming Liverpool have made a bid of £15m for Bologna's Gaston Ramirez #LFC 1 hour ago

Guest ShoePiss
I wonder if it will be a new beginning on here too?

No more Rafa debates?

No more slating of Henderson/Adam/Downing?

If Kenny couldn't unify the fan base I don't think anything can. I was hopeful the King coming back would have done the trick but we have far too many supporters that weren't around the first time he was here or just can't put it all behind them and move forward.

My optimism has faded and now I'm left pondering the fact we finished 8th sacked a legend and employed swanseas manager, a man whose team just passed it around their own midfield and back 4 for 90 minutes focusing solely on keeping possession and doing absolutely fuck all with it.

What I find weird is the PR job the club has done on itself, we have actually accepted the fact we are mediocre and mediocre will be fine next season. I don't like FSG they said judge us by our actions well fuck all sums them up for me, they want to spend fuck all, they will achieve fuck all and all the while convince us fuck all is a successful season. Speculate you fucks. I'm going to the shop. I'm aware my boredom is fueling an unnecessary whine and it's early days.

At this stage I don't think I could be any less optimistic if I tried. To be honest I don't even know if I care anymore. As things stand fed up with the club, fed up with most of the players and generally think the club I loved doesn't exist now. That is the short description of what is a really big rant that is in my head that I've held back on thus far.

It might just be me but I'm highly optimistic that Liverpool Football Club are about to change, and for the better.

There are worries but I don't think they are as big as people make them out to be.

So you're optimistic even though you think we might lose Reina, Skrts and Agger...........................?

I have gone past the pain barrier. I am always optimistic. A club ran by owners who visit on day trips, a shirt salesman MD and a manager with one years PL experience might cause some to worry.

On the other hand they might just be a blinding success BECAUSE they don't know what they are doing. I hope so.

So you're optimistic even though you think we might lose Reina, Skrts and Agger...........................?

I have gone past the pain barrier. I am always optimistic. A club ran by owners who visit on day trips, a shirt salesman MD and a manager with one years PL experience might cause some to worry.

On the other hand they might just be a blinding success BECAUSE they don't know what they are doing. I hope so.

We could lose them but if we did as I stated (and it's unlikely we will) we'd be handsomely compensated.

Our owners are a lot better than people on here give them credit for, I'd hate to think where we'd be without them as well!

All managing directors are there to make money, if they think they're there for anything else they're kidding themselves.

On years experience? How many years experience did Rafa have in the prem or Mourinho? What about in general how many years was Rijkaard managing for before he took the Barca job, or Rijkaard.

I wish people would stop with the scare mongering and doom and gloom and have a bit of faith in these people! (Not Ayre, he's just there to do a job and seeing Rodgers put him firmly in his place made me more confident).

There are worries but I don't think they are as big as people make them out to be. Let's start there though and with Pepe Reina who is reportedly being tracked by AC Milan and others but if they want him they will have to pay and pay big because the Spaniard is contracted till 2016 to the tune of 80k a week. While losing Pepe Reina would be the biggest loss to this club in years, we would be compensated for our loss unlike in previous years where we've allowed players to walk. We've got decent back up keepers in Jones (gets far too much stick and is a good back up) and Doni (not a fan but he's not horrible). Gulacsi is one to watch definitely.

Skrtel and Agger are next on the list but again, how much would we really miss either or both? Skrtel is contracted to 2014 and the same can be said of Agger. I like both, I'd rather keep both but given past history neither can be described as irreplacable. Skrtel was rightfully our player of the season and has come on to be an excellent cb and when fit Daniel Agger is second to very few in the world. The good news is that it seems both are looking to stay anyway and while neither are irreplacable until you have a definitive replacement it is obviously better to keep both! Both players have spoken of contract extensions recently and Agger especially seems to be looking forward to this new era under Brendan Rodgers.

Jose Enrique and Glen Johnson are both extremely talented footballers, though both are prone to horrendous defensive lapses, not exactly what you want from your full backs. Enrique perhaps was just having problems settling in and his form at Newcastle before we bought him would suggest exactly that. He is one of the most underrated left backs in the world for my money and will be more than at home under Rodger's style of play.

One seemingly overlooked part of England's "triumph over adversity" (if you believe the media) was Glen Johnson. If he can bring back the same defensive ability he showed in the Euros where he was hard to get past and constantly covering for other players then it would be like signing a world class RB only on a free. As with Enrique the talent is there for either or both to be very special players indeed, in fact our back four in its current guise if it stays together with the young replacements we have to come through like Robinson, Wisdom, Sama, Wilson and Flannagan and that's before I mention Martin Kelly who is clearly the best of the lot at this time and Sebastian Coates.

Onto midfield and given how I believe Rodgers will setup (3 man midfield) we will need first of all a positionally clever player who is able to break up the play, keep it simple and be the first part of turning defence into attack. In Lucas we have one of the best in the world at doing this. Anyone who wants to get rid of him or talk about how limited he is should stop trying to analyse football now because you just don't get it. I'd like to see another player brought in who can do the same job when Lucas is suspended or injured because it's a massively important role. We all live in hope that this is a role that Connor Coady can find his way into in the near future.

The second part of the midfield has to be a player that can control the tempo of the game. This player needs an engine, they need to be willing and able to put a foot in in the middle of the park and they need to be intelligent enough to know when to pass the ball short, long and as a bonus they can chip in with the odd goal. Step forward Steven Gerrard. When fit this position is his, it's not even debatable. Who comes in when he's not fit though? Well I believe Jordan Henderson could make this role his own in years to come. Henderson has all the tools other than he needs to battle more in the midfield but I'm not as worried as others because the same could be said early in his career of Bastian "I'm not a right winger either" Schweinsteiger. Like Schweinsteiger, Henderson is a very intelligent player who needs to work on the defensive aspects of his game and like Schweinsteiger if we persevere and take into account the natural abilities he has to play this position we will be smiling in the long run. Jonjo Shelvey should also excel in Rodger's style of play and potentially could fight with Henderson also for this place. Of the reserves keep an eye on Jack Roddan who has all the attributes to make it to the first team if he keeps his head down and keeps going the way he is.

The third part is a player Liverpool have searched for for years but never found or at least never been able to incorporate into the side. It's the role of the cultured attacking midfielder who plays that "Xavi" role, they get the ball, they keep the ball, they wait for the perfect pass and then they play it. Look at any great side in world football and they all have them. Germany have Ozil (who again speaking of persistence started at Stuttgart in the centre of midfield and was often berated for his lack of tackling ability!), Spain obviously have Xavi, Real are also soon to have Modric and like Modric there will be another young player somewhere who is yet to be found but will be hiding in some lesser known club just waiting to be found. Gerrard can play this role it goes without saying but at this moment in time IF we are to sign Sigurdsson then I'd rather see him in the role with Gerrard behind. Of course having Gerrard, Sigurdsson and Henderson to rotate in these roles would be a fantastic luxury and it's also worth noting that Sigurdsson can play on the right as well (watch him go to Spurs now!). In the reserves we have a player who must be jumping for joy about the new manager's appointment and his name is Suso. Another who only recently arrived himself Joao Teixeira is also massively suited to the role and again gives us a brighter outlook for the future.

Okay time to get the biggest question out of the way, will Andy Carroll stay? Well again it's not the worst position to be in. Apparently a few German clubs and Italian clubs were impressed with his showing in the Euros and they might be making a bid. Should we keep him? Of course we should. His potential is through the roof. If you doubt what he is capable of just take a look at his showing against the champions of this country Manchester City (wow that feels weird saying that) and tell me he's not got world class ability when he wants to know. Everything about him has improved and will continue to improve and while he isn't the most mobile of strikers he's capable of getting goals. Some people would have you believe that you have to be Falcao to play in Brendan Rodgers system but it's simply not true. Swansea scored a lot of headed goals or from balls into the box from out wide and with better service I believe Andy Carroll is more than capable. He's still only young and as with most centre forwards of his build he still has a lot of learning to do. Take a look at Drogba's stats if you don't believe me when he was the same age! He's a diamond but he's as rough as they come. Like with Henderson we could ignore the quality there is and throw him away like some kind of cashmygold trade in but like that we'd be losing out massively. Carroll should stay, he should start every game or as close to and he should have a player on the bench who can relieve some of the pressure for him but who is not considered first choice. While I think we should sign a backup I also think Adam Morgan should be given a chance to show what he can or can't do.

Luis Suarez is the closest thing to irreplaceable we have, even more so than Pepe in my opinion and with him already contracted to 2016 and speaking about extending that contract we're either going to get a lot of money or a world class player for a good few years, preferably the prior! The role he employs is one of "support striker" and if we are to sign Gaston Ramirez (which I sincerely hope we do) then we will have two players who have skill, are unpredictable, can score and make goals and will improve as well as no doubt being able to play well with each other. Gaston Ramirez is everything we lacked when Suarez was out and everything we lacked on one side of the pitch when he was back, he's like a Suarez clone almost and carries the same steely determination and mercurial ability that would leave us in awe just as Luis does.

With young players like Adorjan and Sterling also ready to add that unpredictablity and element of the spectacular I again believe we're in a better position than people think we are.

And where are all these players plying their trade? Here. The youth setup that Guardiola declared was second only to La Masia

How about the even more long term future? Well Vilyan Bijev is apparently very highly regarded along with Nacho and Marco Bueno is one of the highest rated players in the world and already has one foot in the door at Anfield.

Then there are the "also rans/ out the doors". Bellamy, Maxi, Aquilani, Joe Cole, Spearing, Carragher (sorry but it's true), Downing, Adam anyone I've missed?

Perhaps maybe, just maybe things arn't as bad as they seem and maybe a deep breath and a look at what we have not what we haven't might show that we're still a much better club than our 8th place finish dictates.

It won't happen over night but there is more than enough for this club to build on to take us forward and that's all we can really ask.

Good stuff AVB. All of those reasons are why I'll be every bit optimistic and excited come August. Here is hoping we can get a have a decent transfer window to build upon.

If Kenny couldn't unify the fan base I don't think anything can. I was hopeful the King coming back would have done the trick but we have far too many supporters that weren't around the first time he was here or just can't put it all behind them and move forward.

You're confusing forum fans with actual fans. Its a shame as a forum should be an extension of the pub with decent debate that can be had with people who are knowledgeable on the subject. However, theirs too many loud nobs, who if they were in the pub would be ridiculed/twatted. I really hope that people don't think LFC is what is on forums. I don't read other clubs forums but I imagine the same goes for them. Maybe the bigger the club you are the worse it is.

If they pull their fingers out of their bums and start actually playing like Liverpool players they won't be slated.

Simples.

I don't think it's a lack of effort with these two, far from it. They are both fairly reasonable players but lack the mentality to be a success here. Henderson in particular looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights when he plays for us.

A very optimistic thread, perhaps over optimistic?

We really didn't do too much wrong last season yet everyone finished with heads down and the King being sacked.

I believe in our GK and the back 4 almost certainly picks itself with upcoming youth ready to stand in to hopefully avoid complacency.

The return of Lucas will feel like a new player (similar to when Vidic returns for mancs).

A front 2 of Suarez and Carroll do bring hope (chelsea at anfield in May - say no more).

My concerns are with our wide players, Maxi and Bellamy can do a job, but not 50 games a season. Downing? Id rather he left.

This season is huge for Steven Gerrard, we really need our captain and leader, we need him fit. Gerrard and Lucas could be our revised Alonso and Mascherano. - All we need is the next Gerrard, if only Henderson had the guts & balls as Shelvey!

I'd say way too optimistic. Our squad last season was closer in quality to the sides that went down than it was to the sides that challenged for the title, and the only notable change so far has been getting rid of Kuyt on a glorified free transfer. Oh, and we sacked a Premier League winning manager and replaced him with a manager whose side was one of the handful of teams that contrived to score fewer goals than us.

A very optimistic thread, perhaps over optimistic?

We really didn't do too much wrong last season yet everyone finished with heads down and the King being sacked.

I believe in our GK and the back 4 almost certainly picks itself with upcoming youth ready to stand in to hopefully avoid complacency.

The return of Lucas will feel like a new player (similar to when Vidic returns for mancs).

A front 2 of Suarez and Carroll do bring hope (chelsea at anfield in May - say no more).

My concerns are with our wide players, Maxi and Bellamy can do a job, but not 50 games a season. Downing? Id rather he left.

This season is huge for Steven Gerrard, we really need our captain and leader, we need him fit. Gerrard and Lucas could be our revised Alonso and Mascherano. - All we need is the next Gerrard, if only Henderson had the guts & balls as Shelvey!

Yep as always we are relying on him this season , possibly more than ever.

Hopefully he can have a great injury free season , if not i can see it being a struggle again.

At this stage I don't think I could be any less optimistic if I tried. To be honest I don't even know if I care anymore. As things stand fed up with the club, fed up with most of the players and generally think the club I loved doesn't exist now. That is the short description of what is a really big rant that is in my head that I've held back on thus far.

Don't hold back! I think it could be quite an interesting rant.

My optimism has faded and now I'm left pondering the fact we finished 8th sacked a legend and employed swanseas manager, a man whose team just passed it around their own midfield and back 4 for 90 minutes focusing solely on keeping possession and doing absolutely fuck all with it.

So like the Liverpool team of the late seventies/early eighties? Keeping the ball would be a fuking blessing. With a bit more ability up front hopefully we can do 'something' with it.

You're confusing forum fans with actual fans. Its a shame as a forum should be an extension of the pub with decent debate that can be had with people who are knowledgeable on the subject. However, theirs too many loud nobs, who if they were in the pub would be ridiculed/twatted. I really hope that people don't think LFC is what is on forums. I don't read other clubs forums but I imagine the same goes for them. Maybe the bigger the club you are the worse it is.

This.

Speaking to mates on other teams forums, they're just the same.