You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when the media got wind of West Ham wanting Martin O'Neill. Once that was made public, MoNs was not a happy man and flounced off to Sunderland eventually. If you're an unemployed manager, it shouldn't really matter who's courting you. However, I can understand if you're a manager of a club and you don't want it publicly known that you're interested in the Liverpool job or that they have spoken to you because it might affect your chances elsewhere or your position with the club you currently manage. West Ham eventually went with Fat Sam and only last week got them promoted back to the Premier League. Maybe Roberto Martinez is leaving (hence this alleged press conference) but that doesn't necessarily mean he's coming here.

Just a question: but how many of you would be disappointed if Martinez turned us down?

Disappointed in as much as the whole affair seemed badly handled, largely on Whelan's side, but to some extent from Liverpool's side.

Happy for Martinez AND for Liverpool. Both sides would be in for a hell of a bashing which neither deserve.

Guest San Don
Just a question: but how many of you would be disappointed if Martinez turned us down?

I'd be doing fucking cartwheels down walton breck road!

Seriously, we need someone used to fighting at the top end of the league not the bottom.

I'd be happy if he turned us down. I'd probably be even more unhappy at their 2nd choice though.

There were lots of people happy when benitez got canned but I think we all now realize there are two sides to the equation.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We must be gold to the papers always giving them plenty to write about. I wont believe anything until I see someone holding up a scarf.

If I see Martinez holding up the scarf, I'm fairly sure that I still won't be able to believe it.

I'd be very happy, but I'd also be worried; someone like Martinez should be jumping at the chance of joining a team like Liverpool, if he turns down that chance it could only be because of the terms being offered. If FSG want someone they or a director of football can control they may have to look at someone with even less experience than Martinez.

I'd not be surprised if he said no to Liverpool, and but decided to leave Wigan.

By Xmas some other club will have ditched their manager. Villa looks far more troubled than Liverpool, so can't see him going there.

It's only a matter of time before Wigan slip up and go down, and for Martinez, surely it's a good time to quit (whilst ahead)?

If Martinez has doubts and needs time to think it over, those doubts won't go away, they'll only dwell on his mind.

I'd not be surprised if he said no to Liverpool, and but decided to leave Wigan.

By Xmas some other club will have ditched their manager. Villa looks far more troubled than Liverpool, so can't see him going there.

It's only a matter of time before Wigan slip up and go down, and for Martinez, surely it's a good time to quit (whilst ahead)?

If Martinez has doubts and needs time to think it over, those doubts won't go away, they'll only dwell on his mind.

Very little chance Martinez would turn Liverpool down, despite our rapid decline it's still one of the big European clubs and an opportunity to manage a club several times the scale of anything that has gone before for him and might well not come up again.

For a (so called) up and coming manager like Martinez there really is nothing to lose here. Worst case scenario is he makes a complete mess of it. It would just be viewed as too much too soon for him and he'd pick up a job in the lower half of the Premiership or a club challenging for promotion in the Championship.

For an established top flight manager I can understand that we'd be perceived as a real risk at the moment.

Short of the restrictions being placed on Martinez by FSG being so draconian he'd take the job, he's already effectively had his position at Wigan utterly compromised. Same goes for Rodgers.

Very little chance Martinez would turn Liverpool down, despite our rapid decline it's still one of the big European clubs and an opportunity to manage a club several times the scale of anything that has gone before for him and might well not come up again.

For a (so called) up and coming manager like Martinez there really is nothing to lose here. Worst case scenario is he makes a complete mess of it. It would just be viewed as too much too soon for him and he'd pick up a job in the lower half of the Premiership or a club challenging for promotion in the Championship.

For an established top flight manager I can understand that we'd be perceived as a real risk at the moment.

Short of the restrictions being placed on Martinez by FSG being so draconian he'd take the job, he's already effectively had his position at Wigan utterly compromised. Same goes for Rodgers.

Normally I'd say absolutely right - but the fans really seem to be against him (or rather the principle of the appointment rather than him personally).

He might well think "do I need 6 months of hell from the fans and media and tarnish my record?").

The club is without doubt a dream club for virtually every manager on the planet (barring 2-3 who are already in brilliant positions) - but it's the 'job' that's offputting I feel.

If I were Martinez, I'd be thinking all the signs from the fans are JUST like they were from Villa fans towards McLeish - and there could only ever be one outcome in the end.

Does he want to put himself and his family through that?

A good post.

We still have a decent squad. Martinez should be able to secure EL football by league qualification which would be the first time it has been done in three years. From there, who knows? You don't have to be THAT good to do better than we have been doing - look at Pardew.

I think that it is a mistake to judge Martinez in Cl/title terms. If he can get us into the top four, he will have done very well.

A good post.

We still have a decent squad. Martinez should be able to secure EL football by league qualification which would be the first time it has been done in three years. From there, who knows? You don't have to be THAT good to do better than we have been doing - look at Pardew.

I think that it is a mistake to judge Martinez in Cl/title terms. If he can get us into the top four, he will have done very well.

That may well change if Martinez is appointed manager.

Normally I'd say absolutely right - but the fans really seem to be against him (or rather the principle of the appointment rather than him personally).

Based on what? The response on the internet forums?

The club is without doubt a dream club for virtually every manager on the planet

More bollocks from you - we're not and have not been 'a dream club' for some considerable time. Please stop talking bollocks.

You cant help feeling that this is one of the most important weeks in the clubs history. It feels like we are standing on the edge of the abys. FSG really need to get this appointment right, anything else would be disasterous.

No one's going to know if the appointment of Martinez will be right appointment - at least not for a year to see how he does in the league with our club.

What I'm worried about is who is advising them and what criteria are they using to judge that Martinez is able?

If it's to get the cheapest available manager then that would be extremely worrying.

Guest San Don

What I dont get in this Martinez \ Wigan press conference on Tuesday is, if he hasnt been offered the job, how come FSG arent coming out saying 'we've interviewed him and he's not for us' blah, blah, blah?

FSG's silence can surely only mean one thing, they have offered it to him and have given him time to 'think it over' even though this leads to the possibility and further poor publicity for the club if \ when he does turn it down.

What I dont get in this Martinez \ Wigan press conference on Tuesday is, if he hasnt been offered the job, how come FSG arent coming out saying 'we've interviewed him and he's not for us' blah, blah, blah?

FSG's silence can surely only mean one thing, they have offered it to him and have given him time to 'think it over' even though this leads to the possibility and further poor publicity for the club if \ when he does turn it down.

I'd assume the interview process just isn't complete. The first interviews are probably little more than an introduction and a sounding out of the new set up.

They probably asked him if he could envisage working under a sporting director who had greater control of transfers, which when leaked back to Whelan gets assumed to be a direct job offer.

They've offered him the job.

He won't turn it down.

Who the hell would stay at Wigan, and a permanent brief of 'avoid relegation'???

He must have ambition. He'll want to succeed where Kenny failed; he'll relish the job, it's a no brainer. He can't really fail can he?? The DoF becomes the fall guy, and if the Kop is on his case after 5 defeats on the trot at the start of next season he can pass the buck.

Guest San Don
I'd assume the interview process just isn't complete. The first interviews are probably little more than an introduction and a sounding out of the new set up.

They probably asked him if he could envisage working under a sporting director who had greater control of transfers' date=' which when leaked back to Whelan gets assumed to be a direct job offer.[/quote']

Yeah and if its 'leaked back' to whelan, where's that come from? certainly not FSG. So you'd think they'd say, fuck that. if you cant keep your gob shut to your current chairman, GTF you aint going to be working for us.

So again, why the silence and WTF are wigan going to be holding a new conference on tuesday? Yeah, I can see it now, Whelan proclaiming to the world 'I told you all Roberto wouldnt go to Liverpool.'

It's fucking rank.