You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Chelsea get CL and get a top manager in they'll be able to compete with the Manc teams, Barca and Real for the best players in Europe. Big transfer budget, big wages, great players already there, London location - if they can land the likes of Cavani, Hazard, Martinez etc they'll be title contenders. It'll be very difficult for us to overhaul them.

Spurs also have London and a few world-class players to dangle in front of potential signings if they get CL. Don't underestimate the attraction of playing alongside other top players when deciding who to sign for. A lot will depend on who their manager is as well of course.

Of the three teams going for 4th, Newcastle are the one who, all things being equal, are least likely to sign the calibre of players that will make their squad significantly stronger than ours. I also think they're the one most likely to get a nosebleed next season and buckle under increased expectations.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in Newcastle, them getting in the Champions League is pretty disturbing. The relegation-altered mindset seems to have evaporated again. They're already comparing Ben Arfa to Messi and talking about trips to the Nou Camp.

I know it doesn't sit well, but if Newcastle get that fourth spot, then they would have earned it. They've got an infrastructure in place where the team is run properly financially. Yes, the calibre of players aren't up there with the likes of the Agueros and the Van Persies but this year, they've shown that you can find players for a fraction of the cost of those big names, who work well together and can compete with the best in England, which, looking at how English teams have performed in Europe, isn't really saying much. Look at how far Chelsea have gotten in the CL and then look at their opposition.

Tottenham look like they're sliding. Chelsea have a tough couple of weeks ahead. Newcastle's last run of games will be a real test though.

Guest The Big Green Bastard
I know it doesn't sit well, but if Newcastle get that fourth spot, then they would have earned it. They've got an infrastructure in place where the team is run properly financially. Yes, the calibre of players aren't up there with the likes of the Agueros and the Van Persies but this year, they've shown that you can find players for a fraction of the cost of those big names, who work well together and can compete with the best in England, which, looking at how English teams have performed in Europe, isn't really saying much. Look at how far Chelsea have gotten in the CL and then look at their opposition.

Tottenham look like they're sliding. Chelsea have a tough couple of weeks ahead. Newcastle's last run of games will be a real test though.

And just you wait and see what Mike Ashley does next year to rip the team apart and sell his best players. I really do hope Newcastle get the CL place as they most certainly won't build on success.

And just you wait and see what Mike Ashley does next year to rip the team apart and sell his best players. I really do hope Newcastle get the CL place as they most certainly won't build on success.

They'll just send their scouts out to buy another Ba, Cabaye, Cisse etc., just as they did last season. I think for the most part, if they make 4th place, players who are already there may want to stay at Newcastle. Where else will they get a chance at playing at the Nou Camp?

I didn't see it, but was there contact on the keeper and was it enough for him to go down?

Dunno mate, me neither. The man watching in the Sky studio said De Gea threw himself to the ground and Caldwell (I think) did nothing, just stood there. He was adamant there was no foul.

Living in Newcastle, them getting in the Champions League is pretty disturbing. The relegation-altered mindset seems to have evaporated again. They're already comparing Ben Arfa to Messi and talking about trips to the Nou Camp.

Ha thats on the front of the Chronicle isn't it?

Maybe we can have an exchange programme where the best of the foreign referees, say, from Spain or Holland, come to England to officiate Premier League matches and we send the best Premier League referees across to... oh wait. We don't have anyone who fits that description.