You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Have a rant thread

Sugar Ape

If you're getting paid £170 for 4 hours work as a mere canvasser for this product, then I suspect the customers are getting well and truly ripped off. That's not meant as a slight on you, more about how the system is seeing good money go after bad. Whatever monetary benefits the customer 'might' gain from investing in this product, they are paying through the nose from the get-go because of how much money is being thrown around during the whole process of getting a lead to installation of the product. 

I dont get paid only on performance, I get a 50 pound Attendance, 60 pa 50 ps. Everyone gets paid on performance, I made 2 leads immediates and 1 sale yesterday, today i made 4 for this week. It's not a hard product to sell, No one is being robbed and the government are paying the system twice over minimum over 20 years plus your electric cuts in half. It's a absolute no brainer in my honest opinion. Its a national company that boast Sharp Panels which are the best, Thats fact. No one is being robbed and its all way above board, You have good days and some bad. Make enough leads and some sell.

I dont get paid only on performance, I get a 50 pound Attendance, 60 pa 50 ps. Everyone gets paid on performance, I made 2 leads immediates and 1 sale yesterday, today i made 4 for this week. It's not a hard product to sell, No one is being robbed and the government are paying the system twice over minimum over 20 years plus your electric cuts in half. It's a absolute no brainer in my honest opinion. Its a national company that boast Sharp Panels which are the best, Thats fact. No one is being robbed and its all way above board, You have good days and some bad. Make enough leads and some sell.

The arguments got more holes than a tea bag, but let's leave it there eh? Anglian, Everest, mark group, or a shade greener, whichever company you are working for, are making a very good profit out of solar the majority of panels cost in the region of £100-£150 each, the inverter is around £500, then it's just the cabling, roof mounting and labour, the true cost of a 4kw system is around 3-4k max, but they are being charged out at around 7-8k.

Due to the fit, which is slowly being reduced, and will end up being non existent ( as it is in Germany) the income generated by a householder currently outweighs this cost, which is why companies can continue to sell at such high margins, and pay canvassers good money until the tariffs are reduced to Nil, the cost will reduce again.

Solar is a good product, if you don't mind having panels on the roof (which some people still object to), and can help reduce your bills. However, homeowners as business alike are paying for this, regardless, every commercial electric contract has a Fit charge, this is what pays householders, the government aren't footing a penny of this - it's is being paid by us all.

For example, If a pubs electric bills goes up, so does the cost of its drinks snacks etc, to cover, who buys that? You and I, hence why there has been pressure to reduce government levy's on energy bills, but this can only go so far, as the government has a 20yr obligation to pay this, this Fit tariff is built into a householders cost.

Oh, and the major problem with any door stop selling is that the majority of sales men (and women) are paid purely on commission. They have a sliding scale, so the higher then price they charge the more commission they earn, on average solar commission is around 10%. So if someone buys one of your systems for 8k, £800 goes to the salesman, has he really earned £800 for what was around 2-3 hours work (max), unless he is a highbrow barrister, he is unlikely to get £800 for 3 hours work anywhere else.

Where ever you look,at it, there is an element that the customer is getting ripped off, caveat emptor as they say, just because you can earn a return of 8-10% doesn't mean that you don't get ripped off on your initial investment.

• Upvote 1

Is like that for anything take restaurans for instance theres over 70% profit. How you talk about paying it though is LEVI Tax 15% of electricity bills goes to Renewable Energy with the government giving up on wind power its all going to solar your right about it stopping though they reckon 2 years time I never quote that though as i dont think thats the main benefit of it.

Fucking hate cold callers. I've got a sign up and the odd smarmy bastard still tries it on. Next one I swear I'll set my cats on them. To be fair I do occasionally listen to their spiel, lead them on like a Choirboy in a Rectory and then say '' no thanks ''

Yep id sugest that, nothing worse than thinking you got a lead and you dont get it.

Shins!!! Fucking cunts they are why the fuck we have them i dont know a slight tap your in absolute agony i walked into a toe bar at a snails pace by accident today and the pain was excruciating. I hate them so bad.

Tell that to Oscar Pistorious. He wouldn't have to go shooting his nearest and dearest if his lack of shins hadn't given him an anger problem.

• Upvote 1

The BBC.

Went for a 'talent pool' interview about 18 months ago. It was sold as a way of getting casual shifts if you had experience. I got accepted and the woman who interviewed me said she 'had a remit' for 'people like me'. After being accepted and trained I never got a shift. So I contacted her and she bemoaned the fact the beeb only wants people with experience of working there already (?) but that they needed 'good working class people like me', that one of their news chiefs was moaning because all his staff were from London and middle class and 'all lived the same life', that good journalism came from 'real lives' and that one of his best journos was 'the son of a docker'.

Undeterred I applied for a second talent pool, she told me to 'not be ashamed of my working class roots' when I went for my interview. Bloke interviewing me couldn't even remember what paper I'd come from and clearly wasn't arsed about any of the shit she'd been spouting, he just wanted someone who could come in and do shifts straight away which, again, wasn't me (and not what the talent pools had been advertised  as).

Recently they announced a journalism trainee scheme and I decided to go to the open day and see where the bears shat in the buckwheat where I saw this woman again, who gave a speech to the assembled crowd (virtually all young middle class types in Ramones t-shirts straight from media college) saying the BBC 'needed good working class people' and one of the news chiefs was fed up with his staff as they'd come from London and 'all had the same life', that good journalism 'came from real lives' and that one of his best journalists 'was the son of a docker', My heart sank. She also said that one of the reasons working class people didn't get far in the media was because they couldn't 'defer gratification' and that she'd worked on five day contracts and that was just the way it was. Well no, how about you advertise jobs, select the best people and give them a reasonable contract and wage like everyone else does? Cunts.

I left and decided not to apply for it, but sent in a Freedom of Information request instead, asking how many people from their talent pools had ever gotten a shift, how many had been employed, how many northerners had got jobs at Salford since they moved north, and whether or not they had someone assigned to find 'northern' or 'working class' people to work there. I did it with a view to doing a story about my experiences there.

A day later a mate of mine who's a BBC freelancer got an email asking for all his details, P60, passport etc. He was freaked out and said he'd never been asked for them. Looks like every freelancer has got the same request.

Couple of days later some senior manager emailed me asking me to go for a new talent pool which 'wouldn't be like the others'. I didn't reply, the next day this other woman from before emailed me saying I'd been pencilled in for an interview this week (basically, whether I liked it or not), I noticed she now had a job title (she hadn't before) of 'social mobility executive'. I replied to her politely declining and saying I'll give it a miss.

Fucking bizarre, joke of a place. From people conducting interviews while lying on couches (seriously), munching crisps through a microphone while you're doing a written test as if to say 'look how wacky and casual we are', to the general parody appearance of all their young managers - just think of every cliché and it's right there. Even the way they call a broadcast journalist 'a BJ' with a totally straight face pisses me off. They throw it at you and wait for you to smirk 'we're always looking for good BJs', then they look at you as if to say 'what are you laughing at?', when they actually know full well.

I know some seriously talented people who never got a sniff of these talent pools which were rolled out when they moved north, not a sniff, and I suspect the talent pools were only set up in part to cover possible strike action there.

The whole setup is 'bobbins'. I imagine the BBC is like the Soviet Union. If you're at the top you're drinking pink Champagne and munching on Cadbury Cream Eggs which have been smuggled in inside a Scud Missile, but if you're anyone else you're queuing up for bread. Fuck'em.

• Upvote 1

Aaaaahhhh.....

We have a new IT/Data lad in our work. Fresh out of Uni, thinks he is clever as fuck because he is from Berkshire or some cunting place. I clocked him for the dickhead he is on his first day when he butted into a conversation about football questioning me when I said a lot of Man Utd fans don’t really give a fuck about England. I’d never spoke to the prick before and he just piped up saying Utd’s squad have had loads of England players over the last 10 years. I told him that was irrelevant and mentioned the ronaldo song they sung about him making England look crap and he went and fucking googled it to check I wasn’t lying. Subsequently transpired that he likes rugby anyway and doesn’t care much for football. He is just one of them people who likes to trip people up.

Anyway knowing he was a prick I have done my best to ignore him however seeing as that was two weeks ago I thought I would give him a very small chance this morning. Pai mei style. I responded to an email he sent me last night with some figures i’d asked for so I replied to the email saying ‘Cheers Andy’. Nothing more nothing less. A miniscule olive branch.

What happens next? I just walked past his desk and he piped up:

“Erm Damien”

“Yeah?”

“I just wanted to make you aware that I don’t actually like being called Andy, Andrew is fine”

“Are you taking the piss?”

“Well no, I don’t like Andy”

“Grow up Andy you tit”

Just walked away from him shaking my head , got to my desk, looked back at him and he is bright red twatting away at his keyboard hopefully sending my boss an email and not me because he won’t like the reaction he gets from me.

The cunt is only about 23 as well. Has a picture of his bird on his desk. She isn’t that bad, 6/10 I guess. If he carries on he will come in one morning to see the picture covered in jizz with a little white flag above it.

Carries on after that and i’ll get Lewis to snapchat her. 

Sky News.  Fucking hell, talk about not waiting to check a story is true!  Latest one is this 'hijacked' plane which turns out to be a pisshead taking advantage of the free booze today.  Horrible gutter press for the telly it is.  They were probably banking on that to get them through today. That pilot who done the re-enactment for the missing MH370 was rubbing his hands together for another gig.

Last week they were advertising the Oscar Pistorius trial and used the word 'highlights' about 15 times. 

Aaaaahhhh.....

We have a new IT/Data lad in our work. Fresh out of Uni, thinks he is clever as fuck because he is from Berkshire or some cunting place. I clocked him for the dickhead he is on his first day when he butted into a conversation about football questioning me when I said a lot of Man Utd fans don’t really give a fuck about England. I’d never spoke to the prick before and he just piped up saying Utd’s squad have had loads of England players over the last 10 years. I told him that was irrelevant and mentioned the ronaldo song they sung about him making England look crap and he went and fucking googled it to check I wasn’t lying. Subsequently transpired that he likes rugby anyway and doesn’t care much for football. He is just one of them people who likes to trip people up.

Anyway knowing he was a prick I have done my best to ignore him however seeing as that was two weeks ago I thought I would give him a very small chance this morning. Pai mei style. I responded to an email he sent me last night with some figures i’d asked for so I replied to the email saying ‘Cheers Andy’. Nothing more nothing less. A miniscule olive branch.

What happens next? I just walked past his desk and he piped up:

“Erm Damien”

“Yeah?”

“I just wanted to make you aware that I don’t actually like being called Andy, Andrew is fine”

“Are you taking the piss?”

“Well no, I don’t like Andy”

“Grow up Andy you tit”

Just walked away from him shaking my head , got to my desk, looked back at him and he is bright red twatting away at his keyboard hopefully sending my boss an email and not me because he won’t like the reaction he gets from me.

The cunt is only about 23 as well. Has a picture of his bird on his desk. She isn’t that bad, 6/10 I guess. If he carries on he will come in one morning to see the picture covered in jizz with a little white flag above it.

Carries on after that and i’ll get Lewis to snapchat her.

Damo,

Chill the fuck out kimosabe, we are IT, we don't have the opportunity or personality of you sparkly sales folk, but you are fucked without us. Treat us with respect or we'll send everyone the snapchat pictures of you and stringy, with turdseye's ma.

Capiche motherfucker?

And don't call me fucking Andy.

• Upvote 3

Damo,

Chill the fuck out kimosabe, we are IT, we don't have the opportunity or personality of you sparkly sales folk, but you are fucked without us. Treat us with respect or we'll send everyone the snapchat pictures of you and stringy, with turdseye's ma.

Capiche motherfucker?

And don't call me fucking Andy.

Why dont you get your lazy spotty arse off world of warcraft and go and find a mouse-mat or something you crusty BO bastard 

People when talking about a group of things describe it as "a bunch of" or a "whole bunch of"

"Theres a whole bunch of people that......"

Radio presenters " we've got a bunch of things on todays show"

If you're an American, fair enough. If not, FUCK OFF

• Upvote 2

People asking you what would be a more convenient time to call back and then dont.

Maybe I am a bit fragile today but this bloke, Tony, he says his name is, calls me on my phone out of the blue this morning to 'talk to me about the offers that are available to me on my phone upgrade.' Well, I was planning to look into this tomorrow so I indicate my interest but explain that as I'm busy could he phone back later. Yes, of course, he can and we agree a time. So I jiggle the rest of my plans so as to be at home when he calls. Has the beggar called? No, of course he hasn't. What is the point of saying you're going to call someone at a certain time and then not being arsed to remember, if he was ever going to call in the first place? And now I'm left wondering what these 'extra' deals he had available might have been.