You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Doesn't this contradict what BR was saying the other day about trying to get a few players in?

If this story is remotely true, then this summer will be FSG's last without the natives getting restless.

They can't cling on to spending a decent amount in their first season. Football is dynamic, and refuses to stand still to make us feel better about ourselves.

Adam and Spearing will go because they are surplus to requirements, and probably worth a good £10m. But, they won't be buying Clint Dempsey for £10m.

I think we will get two more players in, probably a DM and a forward. Sahin could the bit of luck we have been missing, but that seems to good to be true so it probably isn't going to happen.

I think had an offer come in for Caroll that was over £15m it would have been taken seriously.

Adam and Spearing will go because they are surplus to requirements, and probably worth a good £10m. But, they won't be buying Clint Dempsey for £10m.

I think we will get two more players in, probably a DM and a forward. Sahin could the bit of luck we have been missing, but that seems to good to be true so it probably isn't going to happen.

I think had an offer come in for Caroll that was over £15m it would have been taken seriously.

I don't think they're worth £10m at all, but I appreciate player valuation isn't an exact science. I think Dempsey will be closer to £10m than £5m.

I really hope we get a striker in,we are so short of a quality finisher.

Look at how little the barcodes ended up paying for both Ba and Cisse.

We have such a history of going one great striker to the next,why can't we find a reliable player to do the job.Im not talking about a Cavani or Falcao as that's not happening but there must be a good finisher we could pick up.

Keegan-Toshack

Kenny-Rush

Rush-Fowler

Fowler-Collymore

Poisonous little judas jockey

Torres

Suarez is a great second striker but he needs a partner.

I really hope we get a striker in,we are so short of a quality finisher.

Look at how little the barcodes ended up paying for both Ba and Cisse.

We have such a history of going one great striker to the next,why can't we find a reliable player to do the job.Im not talking about a Cavani or Falcao as that's not happening but there must be a good finisher we could pick up.

Keegan-Toshack

Kenny-Rush

Rush-Fowler

Fowler-Collymore

Poisonous little judas jockey

Torres-Gerrard

Suarez-Gerrard

From his press conference earlier.

“I need a minimum of three strikers. Once the window shuts, that is it until January.

“I have got Luis Suarez, Fabio Borini and Andy Carroll.

“I would need to be a nut case to even consider at this moment to let Andy Carroll go out, unless there are other solutions for that. At the moment there isn’t.

“It is all speculation. I would be here all night if I was to answer questions on speculation, but we have got a very small squad as it is.

“We have lost a lot of players this summer and I hope we will be able to bring some in. I had a target list of players I wanted.

“That was always conditional because of the monies that had been paid out here.

“The club is working very hard behind the scenes to manage that process to allow us to get some players in, but in terms of depth, it’s nowhere near where I would want it to be.

“I can’t wave a magic wand to bring players in and get players out.

“There is still a wee bit of time left and hopefully come the end of August we will be ready to go on with the group that we want.”

Pretty shit, that.

Paper-thin squad. Struggling to offload players to fund new signings. Stuck with a player(s) the manager doesn't fancy.

To be fair though, it's what everyone, bar the über optimistic, suspected.

To offer a glint of sunlight in the face of a morass of depressing conjecture, I was encouraged to hear the manager's response to Newcastle's offer to take Carroll on loan.

Same here, thought it was really good. Particularly the bit certainly not to Newcastle, it is about time we started fighting back a bit.

odd though isn't it, that he was prepared to loan him to West Ham? and that he encouraged it all

Not really. One was an offer of loan, with a view to a permanent £18m transfer if they avoid relegation (no grey areas) with all wages paid by West Ham. Newcastle wanted a loan with a view to a £12m loan (lots of grey areas) and we pay half his wages!

Well they are allowed to offer what they want! we are the ones that have hawked him about with his knickers down for all to see... bit rich now for us to say they are taking liberties..

No it isn't.

They are taking the piss. As you well know, a loan and we pay his wages and they might pay £12m for a player they sold for £35m! It is a piss take. We made him available. They took the piss.

Grey areas you say?

Not as grey as the Sahin deal surely.

I was referring to the Aquilani scenario e.g. 25 games of 30 mins or more and the loan automatically becomes permanent! We stay up we buy is quite straight forward, Newcastle offered no such assurances just they may buy him after a year for £12m if they feel like it!

Which we know would mean, using Caroll as cover for a year then fucking him off next season after another bout of taking the piss out of us. They, more than any other club should pay.

Well they are allowed to offer what they want! we are the ones that have hawked him about with his knickers down for all to see... bit rich now for us to say they are taking liberties..

Offering £12m for a player they sold for £23m more just 18 months ago, a player still only in his early twenties who had just won plaudits at the Euros, that's not taking liberties, that's taking the piss.

Set of cunts, pure and simple, the cackling cunts. We should just buy the club and dismantle it.

Offering £12m for a player they sold for £23m more just 18 months ago, a player still only in his early twenties who had just won plaudits at the Euros, that's not taking liberties, that's taking the piss.

It's a reflection of the general view out there among other clubs of our business acumen. A pretty fair one, looking at dealings over the last four years.

I was referring to the Aquilani scenario e.g. 25 games of 30 mins or more and the loan automatically becomes permanent! We stay up we buy is quite straight forward, Newcastle offered no such assurances just they may buy him after a year for £12m if they feel like it!

Which we know would mean, using Caroll as cover for a year then fucking him off next season after another bout of taking the piss out of us. They, more than any other club should pay.

I see your point.

But loan deals are actually beneficial to players that are not in the first team and could use the experience playing in teams that can actually use them.

We use loans as the means to get players off our books, which is something other teams have clocked on and are using as a tactic, aka Newcastle.

I guess you could be right but i do think if they implement the FFP rules as they were intended according to the principles they set up, i think that would be fair. Clubs to live within their means. The problem is i dont think they have the guts to go through with it, as it would mean a bunch of the powerhouse clubs would be kicked out of Europe, thus basically inflate their own competitions.

Well the likes of Anzi, PSG, Chelsea and Man City are certainly making hay while the sun shines!

But I think you're right, they don't have the man power to enforce this and if they crack down too hard the big clubs will take their toys elsewhere.

This leads me to a question more personal to us all.

If FFP does turn out to be a white elephant what will FSG do.

Without this to protect them for having to compete financially with richer clubs LFC will not be on an equal footing. They will have to pump in their own cash consistantly, especially if we are not in the CL. Can't see them doing that.

Well we shouldn't of hawked him about then should we?

Yes we should because he is not good enough and cost far too much to sit on our bench.

Had he scored more than 4 league goals last season, and offered more than two months of decent form he wouldn't need to be hawked around.

The fact that there is not a queue of Managers desperate to sign him for £20m tells you all you need to know, the fact that he only wants to return to the bosom of the Geordie Fish bowl tells you all you need to know about his desire as well.

I'd sell the limited messiah to anybody else for £15m or above, making it clear that Newcastle pay £20m or fuck off.

It's a reflection of the general view out there among other clubs of our business acumen. A pretty fair one, looking at dealings over the last four years.

Other clubs buzz off our business acumen.

Exactly!

So why is he being criticised for making a stand over Caroll? Newcastle obviously think this is the way to do it because AC Milan did it over Aquilani and we tend to give away our shit. I know you both are not doing that by the way, I am talking about those who are.

Jesus, we had Steve Bruce slagging us off in the press for trying to get Kenwyne Jones on loan, and there was a lot of fans who supported him! Newcastle do it, and they have every right.

Yes we should because he is not good enough and cost far too much to sit on our bench.

Had he scored more than 4 league goals last season, and offered more than two months of decent form he wouldn't need to be hawked around.

The fact that there is not a queue of Managers desperate to sign him for £20m tells you all you need to know, the fact that he only wants to return to the bosom of the Geordie Fish bowl tells you all you need to know about his desire as well.

Hang on...

How many Premier League managers are in a position to play £20m for a player? Not many I'd fancy.

Newcastle: European football > West Ham: Potential relegation battle