You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

The scots ratio is 1,07 after making 62 tackles and conceding 58 fouls, dirty.

Thats what it says.

Its a great example of how people who dont understand either stats or footbal should stay well clear of both.

My reading of it is that he won 62 tackles, but on top of the we are not sure how many tackles he went in for and lost fairly, and then also gave away 58 fouls.

So he went in for at least 120 tackles.

Players without confidence come to Liverpool to die. Heck even players with confidence at their previous clubs seem to crumble under the weight of expectation.

I don't think it's a club thing, I think it's a player and manager thing.

Rodgers could get that out of a player I think.

My reading of it is that he won 62 tackles, but on top of the we are not sure how many tackles he went in for and lost fairly, and then also gave away 58 fouls.

Not every foul is a tackle though, so it could be less than 120.

In short, a magazine has linked two unrelated numbers and given almost no context to the figures.

Then you reading need to improve.

Adam made 62 tackles last season, he won 44 and lost 18, no ifs and buts about it.

Stats mean fuck all' date=' Leon Britton most accurate passes last yearned than Xavi and Iniesta, is he better or a better passer ?

Is he fuck.

It's all a load of shite.[/quote']

So what you're saying if we were looking at a striker you wouldn't take into account how many goals he scores? You'd just base your opinion of him and his ability on the games you watch of him?

So what you're saying if we were looking at a striker you wouldn't take into account how many goals he scores? You'd just base your opinion of him and his ability on the games you watch of him?

I think you take a number of things into account, if that was the case based just on stats rather than actually watching a player then Jordan Rhodes would have every team in England after him.

Neither was Eto'o before Barca. Can't spot an underperforming player with stats.

Completely agree with this.

There are just so many aspect that can influence a players performance; mental state, moral, communication with other players, relationship with the manager, talent, will etc etc.

When a player is evaluated for transfer, its suicidal to look at stats alone. You need to be a great judge of character on top of everything else. In the end what does determine if a players makes it at a new club or not?

I say everything. Imagine the conversation between Rafa and Torres when we signed him; what was it about, how did Rafa truly evaluate Torres and his decision to bring him to us?

There are countless of situation like that but I would love to have been a fly on the wall for that meeting.

Neither was Eto'o before Barca. Can't spot an underperforming player with stats.

Twentyman and Paisley would find it an amusing discussion though.

Au contraire. I reviewed our stats for this season just gone and I was able to spot a shit load of underperforming players with stats.

Au contraire. I reviewed our stats for this season just gone and I was able to spot a shit load of underperforming players with stats.

Spotting the under performing players using those stats is the easy part, The hard bit is identifying which under performers will come good next season and i believe that's where good old fashioned judgment comes in.

I'm not against stats full stop i just believe we are in danger over being over reliant and in some cases obsessed with them.

Spotting the under performing players using those stats is the easy part, The hard bit is identifying which under performers will come good next season and i believe that's where good old fashioned judgment comes in.

I'm not against stats full stop i just believe we are in danger over being over reliant and in some cases obsessed with them.

It goes past that, spotting an under performing player, bring him to your club to make him into a world class player.

Again, my point still stands. You can detect under performing players with stats all you like.

Actually detect the problem and turning it around is the life essence of any manager, and one you cannot detect or find with stats.

It goes past that, spotting an under performing player, bring him to your club to make him into a world class player.

Again, my point still stands. You can detect under performing players with stats all you like.

Actually detect the problem and turning it around is the life essence of any manager, and one you cannot detect or find with stats.

I don't know whether i made it clear enough but i AGREE with you!!!

That's a problem that cannot be solved by any one tool. Like all complex problems you need to bring many disciplines to bear. And stats, like psychology, like tactics, like nutrition, like intuition, like money, like competition will all play a part.