You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Super Sub

I was thinking 2 and a half days myself, the Aussies aren't set up to bat for time with patience, they'll come out fighting and going for their shots. If we have a 250 lead which is more than likely now they could easily crumble again, if not they'd probably leave us with shit loads of time to knock off 100 runs if that. Only one winner from here on in imo.

The thing is though If England really wanted to spank the Aussies they would declare at close of play today which would give them an opportunity to get the Aussies all out tomorrow and win it in two days. The problem is though the people who have bought tickets and the TV viewers, these will have an impact on England's decision making and will mean England will play it a bit conservatively and probably bat until at least lunch tomorrow if not more to ensure it at least goes into the third day.

The problem is though the people who have bought tickets and the TV viewers, these will have an impact on England's decision making and will mean England will play it a bit conservatively and probably bat until at least lunch tomorrow if not more to ensure it at least goes into the third day.

As pathetic as this is, it's probably correct.

Guest Pistonbroke

With so much time left and decent weather forecast I'd just bat until they bowled us out and keep them in the field all day tomorrow if possible and declare with about 15 overs left in the day. We are dry bumming them here, might as well rub their noses in the shit. 

It's being spoken about as one of the worst days of Test cricket in Australian history. It's hard to disagree. Had they followed up the shocking first innings by dismissing England for under 200 you could point to a bit of fight to stay in the game. But no.

The decision to throw out the balance of the team by giving the batsmen an extra crutch will be hammered and rightly so. Warner bowling around the 50 over mark would suggest the team is a bowler short.

Sometimes you keep it going further not just to demoralise your opponents, but to give one or two on your side a chance to bat their way into form or by posting a good total to give them confidence for test matches ahead.

As I write that, the one who I was referring to has just got out. Still a decent knock from Bairstow although it could be argued that he rode his luck a little bit in this innings.

269/4. I think a lead of 250 will probably be enough for Cook to declare because it leaves the Aussies in a position where they either have to see out almost 4 days or try and post a slender lead that England ought to rattle off with ease to clinch the series. I doubt the weather will come into play in this test.

Sometimes you keep it going further not just to demoralise your opponents, but to give one or two on your side a chance to bat their way into form or by posting a good total to give them confidence for test matches ahead.

As I write that, the one who I was referring to has just got out. Still a decent knock from Bairstow although it could be argued that he rode his luck a little bit in this innings.

269/4. I think a lead of 250 will probably be enough for Cook to declare because it leaves the Aussies in a position where they either have to see out almost 4 days or try and post a slender lead that England ought to rattle off with ease to clinch the series. I doubt the weather will come into play in this test.

They've only got 4 bowlers, keep them in the field as long as possible. Weather looks good and there are four days left. Try and set the largest lead possible after the 1st innings. Seeing Australia having to score 400 just to force England to bat again would be entertaining for us and demoralising for Australia. 

Guest Super Sub

What if they had a good second innings and left us 150 plus to chase? We'd be under pressure for absolutely no reason whatsoever. It's day 1 for goodness sake.

True we haven't won yet and I do take your point about putting us under pressure. Surely though there must be an element of wanting to really stick it to your opponent to reinforce their first innings bowling which the England team would like instead of taking the game away from the Aussies and playing safe if you like.

Guest Pistonbroke

A great day of Test cricket that, unless you are a dry bummed Aussie that is. 

Bat for as long as it takes tomorrow, if we can't bowl these lot out in 2 and a half -3 days I#d be gob smacked, beat them by an innings and......