You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Some greats get the deserved fairytale ending like Kallis, Warne and McGrath, but some don't, like Ponting and Smith. To be fair to Smith, if you'd asked him who is the last Australian bowler he wanted to be In form come this tour, it was Johnson, who has troubled him his whole career. And it's been a brilliant career from him.

Dave's Warner is also in some stupidly good form. I love watching him bat but I just wish he'd tone it down a little off the pitch. Fair enough if he wants to be aggressive during the game, not sure he needs to be saying some of the stuff he does between games though. Nice to see Clarke pull him up on it too.

Onto one of his topics of 'discussion', does anyone think the bowling team should be allowed to do whatever the fuck they want with the ball, provided outside agents are not applied to it? If they want to scuff it, they should be allowed to. If it brings a skill such as reverse swing into the game, why the fuck not? I'd say they can forget about a ball change due to loss of shape though, until 80 overs anyway. Outside of that, go nuts.

Seriously, bats are far better, pitches are better, protective equipment is better and boundaries are smaller than ever before. Yet if a bowler dares apply a fucking fingernail to the ball, heaven help him. What a joke. This series has been great to see batsmen genuinely shitting themselves as Johnson, Steyn and Morkel have hammered them. Administrators need to remember that people love good bowling as much as good batting.

This, from the Cricinfo chat, made me laugh:

"Talking about taking kids to watch the cricket - snuck off work early yesterday to take my 4 year old lad to watch the evening session where he witnessed Dale being felled by a Mitch bouncer. When we got back home for some backyard cricket he instructed me to "bowl at his head" and then told his 2 year old sister she could be the person who first runs on to check if he's OK and then bring him another helmet so that he can carry on batting."

Some greats get the deserved fairytale ending like Kallis, Warne and McGrath, but some don't, like Ponting and Smith. To be fair to Smith, if you'd asked him who is the last Australian bowler he wanted to be In form come this tour, it was Johnson, who has troubled him his whole career. And it's been a brilliant career from him.

Dave's Warner is also in some stupidly good form. I love watching him bat but I just wish he'd tone it down a little off the pitch. Fair enough if he wants to be aggressive during the game, not sure he needs to be saying some of the stuff he does between games though. Nice to see Clarke pull him up on it too.

Onto one of his topics of 'discussion', does anyone think the bowling team should be allowed to do whatever the fuck they want with the ball, provided outside agents are not applied to it? If they want to scuff it, they should be allowed to. If it brings a skill such as reverse swing into the game, why the fuck not? I'd say they can forget about a ball change due to loss of shape though, until 80 overs anyway. Outside of that, go nuts.

Seriously, bats are far better, pitches are better, protective equipment is better and boundaries are smaller than ever before. Yet if a bowler dares apply a fucking fingernail to the ball, heaven help him. What a joke. This series has been great to see batsmen genuinely shitting themselves as Johnson, Steyn and Morkel have hammered them. Administrators need to remember that people love good bowling as much as good batting.

In my nearly 35-odd years of going to Tests, I've generally always preferred watching Australia bowl.

There were exceptions, like watching my home state hero, David Boon. And then there was Gilchrist.

And for the opposition, of course, Viv Richards.

But to see Lillee, Thomson, Hogg, McGrath, Warne and Johnson in the groove over the years has been great.

A note on Warner, heard Robin Jackman say last night that when you're playing like he is, you can say what you want.

Funny, when he's scoring 100s I don't really take any notice of what he's mouthing off about.

Mind you, he'll have to take the good with the bad criticism when he goes through a bad patch.

Nothing like a few ducks to stop you quacking.

Been distracted by the Asia Cup - just looked at the Aussies vs SA score - wow that is going to be a crushing defeat for SA

Where is Siddle - injured?

Didn't realise MJ is 32 - probably only got 1 - 2 years at this level before he deteriorates. 

I reckon he will get to 400 wickets if he gets the chance though - needs to play a few of the Asian teams in Australia to do that

Just to say - Afghanistan are actually a decent team, and certainly bowl better than Ireland and Bangladesh. I would laugh if England came up against them in the Sub-continent

Never rated Smith - completely overshadowed by Kallis and now AB/Amla - Good player but not a great

Been distracted by the Asia Cup - just looked at the Aussies vs SA score - wow that is going to be a crushing defeat for SA

Where is Siddle - injured?

Didn't realise MJ is 32 - probably only got 1 - 2 years at this level before he deteriorates. 

I reckon he will get to 400 wickets if he gets the chance though - needs to play a few of the Asian teams in Australia to do that

Just to say - Afghanistan are actually a decent team, and certainly bowl better than Ireland and Bangladesh. I would laugh if England came up against them in the Sub-continent

Never rated Smith - completely overshadowed by Kallis and now AB/Amla - Good player but not a great

Disagree on that, the guy is a genuine great of the game. He took the South African captaincy in the wake of the Cronje era and all the scandal that came with that. It was also a transitional period for SA, so placing all that on the shoulders of a 22 year old who had only played 8 Tests was a huge ask. That his team has regularly been amongst if not the best in the world (like now) under Smith's watch is testament to his leadership.

And all that without touching on his batting record. 27 centuries scored, NONE in a losing Test. Incredible record. Over 9000 runs scored at an average of over 48 is a brilliant record for an opening batsman, who generally have the hardest gig in cricket, seeing off fresh fast bowlers bowling a nice shiny new ball. He was part of 4 x 300+ opening partnerships. Handy slipper too.

• Upvote 1

Disagree on that, the guy is a genuine great of the game. He took the South African captaincy in the wake of the Cronje era and all the scandal that came with that. It was also a transitional period for SA, so placing all that on the shoulders of a 22 year old who had only played 8 Tests was a huge ask. That his team has regularly been amongst if not the best in the world (like now) under Smith's watch is testament to his leadership. And all that without touching on his batting record. 27 centuries scored, NONE in a losing Test. Incredible record. Over 9000 runs scored at an average of over 48 is a brilliant record for an opening batsman, who generally have the hardest gig in cricket, seeing off fresh fast bowlers bowling a nice shiny new ball. He was part of 4 x 300+ opening partnerships. Handy slipper too.

Great post. Completely agree, Smith has been a fantastic player to watch over the years.

Totally dodgy. 

Snicko clearly shows he gloves it.

The back-hand thing is a total technicality, must have been a centimetre in it, and I'm sure that's not why Philander reviewed it.

DRS does not exist for that type of pedantry.

I thought it was brought in to iron out clear umpiring mistakes, not completely line-ball and subjective calls like that one.

I hate it.

That was DEFINITELY too close to call, and enough for the original umpire's decision to stand.

Could cost Australia the Series win.

In fact, think it will now.

Right and wrong decision really. I do believe his hand was off the bat when he hit it, very surprised that they overturned it though as they've been notoriously cautious with the DRS.

I think it's a blatant example of everything that's wrong with the system.

Before the days of DRS, the batsman would have walked away quietly, with no questions asked, with everyone safe in the knowledge he'd hit it and was out.

Nowadays, it a speculative and hopeful review simply because they can, and the decision gets judged by technology on a totally different, new and subjective pretext.

And yes, you're right. Makes a mockery of the usual conservative DRS call of protecting the integrity and intention of the standing umpire, perfectly showcasing the uncertainty and inconsistency of the system.

Rubbish for mine.

Utter rubbish.

The thing is that is was questionable on the replay so you would think it would go to the original umpires decision which was out right? Apparently not and I have a feeling that has saved the test match for them. Disappointing because we have dominated this game.

It's poetic injustice, isn't it?

A side that's completely dominated the game, missing out on the win because of the total randomness and inconsistency of a technology-based, post-rational decision-making process.

Kind of fitting these days, I guess.

Imagine if DRS were around at Edgbaston in 2005?

Might be a whole bunch of cricketers walking around without OBEs now.

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Harris you fucking beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!