You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

Why is the market fucked?

It's not so much that it's fucked but it is a "seller's market" in January really. Clubs have to blow others away with an offer for one of their players in the middle of the season. Then you have a few clubs like Man City who are more than capable and willing to pay their outcast players not to play for other teams at this time rather than sell them and see them potentially come back and bite them in the ass.

The usual mid-table to bottom-level clubs want to keep their better players to either fight off relegation or ensure they don't end up in a relegation battle. With a few of those aspiring for a Europa League spot.

It also seems most players prefer to move in the summer probably because they have a full pre-season that way to get settled in with their new club, even the ones who's off-season is now, and the clubs are happy to oblige that idea generally for whatever reason.

Morrison is not the type of person Manchester United, a company with image conscious American owners, want to be associated. United’s fastest growing revenue stream is through sponsorship. Multi-national sponsors want their name attached to a world-wide brand noted for success and glory, with players who are stars and role models. The club will do more background checks on future signings because they don’t want skeletons in cupboards damaging the United ‘brand.’

Honestly this made me laugh, so a player who very publicly sleeps with prostitutes behind his pregnant wifes back whilst threatening to leave unless he receives £200k a week is exactly the sort of image they are looking for?

How about another well established player who has an affair with his brothers partner and then attempts to use the legal system to cover his tracks?

There's a big difference between balanced journalism and writing a press release. I've no doubt that Morrison might well be a nut job but if he was good enough I doubt they'd be offloading him.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Honestly this made me laugh, so a player who very publicly sleeps with prostitutes behind his pregnant wifes back whilst threatening to leave unless he receives £200k a week is exactly the sort of image they are looking for?

How about another well established player who has an affair with his brothers partner and then attempts to use the legal system to cover his tracks?

There's a big difference between balanced journalism and writing a press release. I've no doubt that Morrison might well be a nut job but if he was good enough I doubt they'd be offloading him.

I think that's what the youngsters are called 'pwnage'.

It's not so much that it's fucked but it is a "seller's market" in January really. Clubs have to blow others away with an offer for one of their players in the middle of the season. Then you have a few clubs like Man City who are more than capable and willing to pay their outcast players not to play for other teams at this time rather than sell them and see them potentially come back and bite them in the ass.

The usual mid-table to bottom-level clubs want to keep their better players to either fight off relegation or ensure they don't end up in a relegation battle. With a few of those aspiring for a Europa League spot.

It also seems most players prefer to move in the summer probably because they have a full pre-season that way to get settled in with their new club, even the ones who's off-season is now, and the clubs are happy to oblige that idea generally for whatever reason.

Someone posted on here the other day a list of players we have bought in recent times during the Jan window, most of which were good value. I see what your saying but I think it's a bit of a falesy that you can't get players in during this window.

You will always overpay for players with teams like City around now, just look how we overpaid for Henderson and Downing, both of which were during the summer, then you look at Suarez last January, a bargain.

Carrolls deal was a freak due to the lateness of the deal and fact Newcastle knew we were getting a wedge.

So the Italian window is closed, which means Tevez isn't going there. Anyone else fancy him on loan til the end of the season?

It'd be worth it just to have himself and Suarez line up against the cunts at Old Trafford in a few weeks!

That's the line I'd be feeding City if we're interested.

Liverpool told ESPNsoccernet two hours before the close of the transfer window that they were not bidding for Jermain Defoe.

With Defoe left out of the Tottenham team by Harry Redknapp on Tuesday, rumours spread that Defoe was a transfer target of Kenny Dalglish. But an Anfield official told ESPNsoccernet: "No, nothing in that, there is no bid for Jermain Defoe."

In addition, Phil Smith, the agent who represents Redknapp, told ESPNsoccernet: "I cannot believe that Harry would sell Defoe, so discount a move to Liverpool."

ESPN