You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas has not improved.

Guest simon

He's what I'm going to label a sideways S player. He comes with a biggish reputation so his stock is high. People see almost nothing from him so his stock rapidly falls. He then starts to show a little of something, so his stock rises ridiculously, partly because of the savaging he received in the down-term. In the long run though, he's just average and fan's opinion will slowly gravitate towards that.

Lucas - average, painfully average. Not good enough if we want to be contenders. Combine him with Adam though and you've got nothing more in CM than Villa, probably worse than Everton and nothing on fucking Spurs.

Call me a cunt if you like but i'd say that lucas and adam are 'probably' better than fucking rodwell and neville.

Of course he has improved. Lucas himself said he has.

The man was starting a brand new position, he said himself he needed time to adapt to the defensive role because he never played in the position before and he was originally more of an attacking midfielder.

At the time i thought it was a shite move by rafa because lucas was struggling a lot to adapt. but it seems rafa pulled of a genius move and now we are reaping the benefits of the decision rafa made.

I hope people admit their mistakes, like i did.

Edited by stevensr123

Can someone explain to me what makes Lucas "brilliant"? What are his standout attributes? Is he a brilliant passer, brilliant shot, brilliant tackler? I would think to be a brilliant player you need to be brilliant at something. One attribute or another. I have a feeling the word brilliant is being confused with the word good, or solid.

It’s stupid to say he has not improved as he quite clearly has. However, he had become a decent player a lot earlier then people were giving him credit for. I’d say it was a full season and a half before people started realising he was actually quite good. He was still getting blind, stupid, lazy abuse well after he’d stepped up his game.

As others have said, he’s not top notch, and possibly never will be, but he’s still bloody good. If we were to put him up for sale there would be no shortage of very good teams making offers.

Certainly why I like him so much, and many others are the same I think, is his attitude. He just got the head down and worked his bolox off and didn’t let any of it get him down. Normal people started giving him a chance once he stopped making really bad errors time and time again. Since then his game has much improved and it continues to. He’s even getting forward a wee bit now, something I think Kenny will ask him to do a bit more. He gets steadily better, and given he is now already a pretty good player, that only bodes well for us.

If you work hard and try at this club you will normally be given a chance. Crouch is a very good example. Carroll is the example of someone perceived not be trying so people are getting pissed off with him. However, in his last game, while yet again showing a pretty inept front man performance outside of that header off the woodwork, the fact he put in a shift in defence and midfield had virtually everyone saying that he was much better on Saturday.

Lucas is an excellent example to any young footballer out there of the benefits of hard work.

Lucas has definitely improved but him and Adam isn't strong enough in a 4-4-2.

Lucas is great at breaking up play and often shines when we play strong teams, his passing vision is dire. So you might say that Adam complements him as he can't tackle but has the range.. However, you need players who can do everything pretty well and then excel at certain aspects. Our problem is that whilst Adam and Lucas might excel at certain aspects, other parts of their game are genuinely weak.

Lucas is a better player than Masch. Great little terrier Masch, but ultimately a one trick pony. Lucas adds way more to the team.

Lucas is great defensively, covering lots of ground. Not as strong in the tackle but also does not run himself out of the play. Less likely to get sent off. Finally, a class above in terms of distribution.

Have to agree about Alonso being a class above. However, Adam is far better in the final third. In every other way he is inferior to Xabi. Most importantly defending.

And you wonder why everyone thinks you're a gigantic fucking mongoloid.

While not all agree with my posts, those with a mind of their own and an ounce of intelligence can see that I put forward a considered opinion which will occasionally deviate from the general norm. I see no point in echoing the masses like the many mindless drones that frequent this forum. This is a discussion forum, I see no point in posting unless I can offer a valid alternative or interesting view, hence my low post total.

Unfortunately, you have become a parody of yourself; and you started off as an idiot to begin with. A parody of an idiot is not something amusing or, indeed, something to be mocked, but something to be pitied.

You are like a blind three legged dog, barking at nothing. People think you are angry or crazy, barking always barking. But you're not barking in anger, you're barking because you're scared and lonely. "Notice me, love me." That's what you're saying. Well I notice you little doggy, and I love you too. :(

The only thing mascherano has over lucas is "raw" tackling ability, and probably speed.

But lucas has a whole different style of tackling and breaking up play, He doesn't use much speed or aggressive tackling and work rate, He just knows were the ball is going and makes the tackling.

I would say lucas is better at passing the ball and holding onto it as well.

Both are shite in terms of attacking though.

Put it this way, in 3 years time lucas will be a better player than mascherano ever was.

The only thing mascherano has over lucas is "raw" tackling ability, and probably speed.

But lucas has a whole different style of tackling and breaking up play, He doesn't use much speed or aggressive tackling and work rate, He just knows were the ball is going and makes the tackling.

I would say lucas is better at passing the ball and holding onto it as well.

Both are shite in terms of attacking though.

Put it this way, in 3 years time lucas will be a better player than mascherano ever was.

No he won't. But if he's still in our first taem in three years, I will fucking cry

His short passing and reading of the game are excellent. Same for his temperament and decision making. These are the qualities a holding mid needs. Mikel has them too, but he also has a more physical presence.

It was funny reading silverlinings posts over the summer. The increasing desperation as it became apparent we wouldn't be signing generic French holding player . Hah.

His short passing and reading of the game are excellent. Same for his temperament and decision making. These are the qualities a holding mid needs. Mikel has them too, but he also has a more physical presence.

It was funny reading silverlinings posts over the summer. The increasing desperation as it became apparent we wouldn't be signing generic French holding player . Hah.

Yes, it's hilarious. Where you laughing as hard watching Scott Parker piss all over him at Spurs the other weekend? Like he also did when we lost to West Ham last season?

It's really funny watching average Liverpool midfielders getting bypassed with ease isn't it?

Both games where we ended up playing a one man central midfield.

He had his arse handed to him from the first minute to the last.

But then, it's not really surprising as he is simply a poor footballer whose biggest attribute is one-paced scurrying and he'd struggle to get a game in most Premiership sides, apart from maybe Wolves and West Brom.

He had his arse handed to him from the first minute to the last.

But then, it's not really surprising as he is simply a poor footballer whose biggest attribute is one-paced scurrying and he'd struggle to get a game in most Premiership sides, apart from maybe Wolves and West Brom.

But then he starts for Brazil. They're quite good I've heard.

But the last two managers picked Lucas, not Sandro. In the same way our last three managers have picked him.

Brazil aren't shit are they? Not really. The Copa America is no competition to judge them, they've never given a shit about it.

At the absolute worst they'll get to the semis of the next World Cup, with Lucas playing every single game.

I find it odd that anyone would have much of a problem with Lucas, when we start most games with five or six players worse than him.

Barry seems to be performing his role at City well, shows what can happen when you have top quality around you.

We are not losing or drawing games because of Lucas, it all seems a rather moot point.

I think peoples frustration is as much at the role that Lucas plays in the team rather than his ability.

I think peoples frustration is as much at the role that Lucas plays rather than his ability.

Not really. One of my favourite Liverpool players of recent times was Didi Hamann. He played the same role.

Difference is, he was fucking brilliant and Lucas isn't.

Look at some Liverpool midfielders we've had in the last 20-30 years:

McMahon, Gerrard, Souness, Hamann, Molby, Alonso, Mascherano, Gary Mac.

Then look at Lucas.