You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sci-fi conventions

Remmie

Fuck me it was worse than I thought. I was visiting a friend at her Uni and I decided it can't be as bad as I imagine maybe I'll enjoy it, she was going so it was either sit outside for 2 hours or go. 9 bastard quid that cringey virgin filled shit cost me. I like Red Dwarf and some of the cast were there, but after queuing for ages it emerged the robbing cunts wanted £10 for picture/autograph, now I enjoyed the show but it was 15 fucking years ago.

The worst thing was the cringey man on stage doing patter with Daleks. Who is Sophie Aldred by the way? I know she was on Dr Who but I never watched it yet know her name, can't figure out why.

Some proper freaks and stereotypes there I tell thee.

• 1 year later...

Been to a couple of conventions myself, usually internet subculture, they are fucking awful. I don't usually tell people about them. I've always gone with people who are not mental though and meet some decent people. I went to a comic/sci-fi one in London yeaaars ago, that was awfully wonderful. In the US last year I went to a MLP one in Vegas and it was the most surreal thing I have ever seen, just so much autism and horror. But I did make a very special friend there (a guy I'd met online only but we met up in Vegas) and I got to meet the lass who voices my avatar so I won't forget that.

I'm reading this all back to myself and wondering where my life went wrong. The only thing I'd suggest about going to any sort of convention is... don't tell anyone and avoid anyone who dresses up. They are mostly fucking insane.

Probably have to be fair,especially considering my username.

If like to point out I have not dressed up as a superhero since my mum threw my Superman pyjamas out last week.

I think he was suggesting we all spend our time talking about a shared past time on the internet before getting dressed up in matching red shirts etc etc etc...

Guest ShoePiss

Trying everything once can be fulfilling but there's no way I'd be anywhere near one of these things. Going to see Revenge of the sith on opening night was enough to realise how bad these things could be. Grown men dressed up in starwars clobber having pretend sword fights with inflatables at the front of the theatre before the film started.

I'm a Doctor Who fan. Done a few cons over the years. Somebody - I forget who - once said that fandom brings you into contact with the best of humanity and the worst of humanity. I'd go along with that. Normally I go with a couple of like minded mates, have a few beers, get what I want out of the event and enjoy the facilities of the hotel.

Oh and I don't tell people I go. Too many stereotypes.