You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When are we likely to get definitive stadium news?

Nathanzx

• 3 weeks later...

Liverpool have chosen the construction firm Carillion to oversee the Main Stand redevelopment.

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2014/07/02/liverpool-pick-carillion-for-75m-anfield-expansion/

Liverpool pick Carillion for £75m Anfield expansion

Carillion has been appointed preferred bidder by Liverpool Football Club for its £75m Main Stand Expansion.

Work at Anfield is expected to start later this year subject to planning consent.

Construction is expected to take approximately 20 months and will see the capacity of a new Main Stand rise by approximately 8,300, taking the overall capacity of Anfield to around 54,000.

An innovative construction programme will mitigate the impact of building work by maintaining as much as possible of the existing main stand in operation throughout the contract.

Carillion Chief Executive, Richard Howson, said: “I believe that being selected for this prestigious project reflects Carillion’s reputation for high standards of quality, Health and Safety and sustainability.

“We look forward to working closely with Liverpool Football Club to create new world-class facilities at its famous Anfield Stadium.”

The Main Stand work will be the first phase in Liverpool’s £150m stadium expansion plan.

Former Olympic Stadium project manager Tom Doyle will manage the scheme which will also see the expansion of the Anfield Road Stand.

Future work on the Anfield Road stand will see an increase in its capacity of around 4,800 seats, taking the total stadium capacity to 58,800.

So that'll be the Suarez money accounted for.

Joking aside so we are looking at 2016 for this to be completed. Well it's progress but Christ we have been speaking of this issue since what 2001?

I still feel the expansion is too small and while I do understand the wider issues of going above 60k I think we could have got more if we had moved to a new stadium although I do love the fact that we will still be at anfield.

• Upvote 1

It's great that we're staying at Anfield, but 60k is nowhere near enough. We could easily get 75-80 k with the support that we have in Britain and around the world. There must be a few thousand Irish coming over each home game alone, let alone the Norwegians, Dutch, etc. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and we play in a league where attendances aren't dropping like in Serie A.

I'd personally like to see a much bigger stadium, with a specific amount of tickets set aside for locals at far reduced rates, especially from the Anfield area. It would be great if local families got to watch the team and with a bigger stadium, we would be in a position to take the lead for the rest of the country in this respect. I know this won't happen as money talks, but it would be terrific if it did.

From a structural point of view, I think the Kop needs to be ultimately expanded to make it the most important and imposing stand in the ground and the centenary should be the same quality as the main stand. It might take over 20 years for both of these things to happen, but that's what the club needs to aspire to do. We can take a leaf out of the Manc's book in this regard. They have continued to build Old Toilet up and it pains me to give the wankers credit for this, but they do deserve it.

• 4 weeks later...

It's great that we're staying at Anfield, but 60k is nowhere near enough. We could easily get 75-80 k with the support that we have in Britain and around the world. There must be a few thousand Irish coming over each home game alone, let alone the Norwegians, Dutch, etc. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and we play in a league where attendances aren't dropping like in Serie A.

I'd personally like to see a much bigger stadium, with a specific amount of tickets set aside for locals at far reduced rates, especially from the Anfield area. It would be great if local families got to watch the team and with a bigger stadium, we would be in a position to take the lead for the rest of the country in this respect. I know this won't happen as money talks, but it would be terrific if it did.

From a structural point of view, I think the Kop needs to be ultimately expanded to make it the most important and imposing stand in the ground and the centenary should be the same quality as the main stand. It might take over 20 years for both of these things to happen, but that's what the club needs to aspire to do. We can take a leaf out of the Manc's book in this regard. They have continued to build Old Toilet up and it pains me to give the wankers credit for this, but they do deserve it.

But you're hampered by space, and there's a cost vs benefit crossover point somewhere.

Let's assume you could get 75 to 80K (which is still an assumption, but happy to go with), then if it's going to cost you 200 million to grab those extra fans, is it worth it?

There will be other knock on effects too... extra policing, and safety restrictions that go well beyond cramming fans into the stadium. All the emergency planning people at the council start laying down new restrictions and procedures to handle the extra numbers.

FSG are probably getting it about right in expanding, seeing where that leaves you, then looking at it again further down the line. If you're conquering Europe again, I'm sure they'll expand again (space permitting).

I think most fans of any club would say "go for it, let's have the biggest crowds", and Liverpool are one of the most likely clubs to be able to notch up those sorts of attendances, but as an owner, it's probably pushing the boat out a touch too far.

Jut out of curiousity... how much is the cheapest ticket for a top category game at Liverpool? (I mean a one off game, no season ticket). It's kicking off a bit at City due to some ticket price hikes, so curious to get a comparison?...

And... do you have any stupid scam where you have to 'sign up' in order to get a ticket, and have to pay 30 quid or so just to be eligible to buy one?

But you're hampered by space, and there's a cost vs benefit crossover point somewhere.

Let's assume you could get 75 to 80K (which is still an assumption, but happy to go with), then if it's going to cost you 200 million to grab those extra fans, is it worth it?

There will be other knock on effects too... extra policing, and safety restrictions that go well beyond cramming fans into the stadium. All the emergency planning people at the council start laying down new restrictions and procedures to handle the extra numbers.

FSG are probably getting it about right in expanding, seeing where that leaves you, then looking at it again further down the line. If you're conquering Europe again, I'm sure they'll expand again (space permitting).

I think most fans of any club would say "go for it, let's have the biggest crowds", and Liverpool are one of the most likely clubs to be able to notch up those sorts of attendances, but as an owner, it's probably pushing the boat out a touch too far.

Jut out of curiousity... how much is the cheapest ticket for a top category game at Liverpool? (I mean a one off game, no season ticket). It's kicking off a bit at City due to some ticket price hikes, so curious to get a comparison?...

And... do you have any stupid scam where you have to 'sign up' in order to get a ticket, and have to pay 30 quid or so just to be eligible to buy one?

It's fairly obvious that one of the key ideas behind staying at Anfield is that expanding to 60,000 means the ability to sell out pretty much every game.  The price for tickets will go up, people will be required to become members in order to get in the queue to buy any tickets for the odd few games, and the demand helps to create a brand.

It's what they did with the Red Sox instead of moving to a new stadium there and they've had sell outs for every game for 6 years straight or something.

Most of the old fans are happy because we're in our traditional home, new fans can rarely get to a game, unless they go through official packages (good for revenue).  Liverpool doesn't have the same corporate opportunities as London so the best way to maximise money intake is to up the price of all the tickets and keep demand at just the right level to support that.

There's not a lot of value in expanding for regular fans. This expansion now is focused on the delivery of corporate seats, if that is a success and can then fund the road end we may do that. 80k seats built in this country would be unlikely to make a significant enough return on investment. The money now is TV and sponsorship, with every passing season the gate money is less and less significant.

Cheapest cat A ticket is £46

There is no doubt that FSG have gone for the safe option.

Whether we are destined to regularly compete in the CL ,and compete for the PL title, remains to be seen.

The New Anfield option delivered on several fronts. A new stadium and facilities which could have kept us going for another fifty years, scope to expand in situ, no stadium disruption, and commercial revenue from Anfield Plaza. It would also have been a statement of intent. We are still the second best supported club in England by historic home average attendance, and the most underperforming of all the clubs in the North West, in all divisions, since the inception of the PL when it comes to improving attendances.

Our half new/half old option, is just that, with further expansion as problematic as the current one, it will be a physical compromise, and take some years to complete with some disruption inevitable. We will fill it, and if we slip out of the top four, it will not break us.

Cheapest cat A ticket is £46

Cheers,.. I assume that's the adult price?

That's not too bad (in the grand scheme). City are charging £57 (adult) as the lowest price against Liverpool, and if you're a first timer, you have to sign up for some daft 'scheme' to get a ticket which costs another 35!!!   hence there's a bit of unrest.

It's no wonder the game is turning very middle class and you can't find a parking space for 4x4s

There is no doubt that FSG have gone for the safe option.

Whether we are destined to regularly compete in the CL ,and compete for the PL title, remains to be seen.

The New Anfield option delivered on several fronts. A new stadium and facilities which could have kept us going for another fifty years, scope to expand in situ, no stadium disruption, and commercial revenue from Anfield Plaza. It would also have been a statement of intent. We are still the second best supported club in England by historic home average attendance, and the most underperforming of all the clubs in the North West, in all divisions, since the inception of the PL when it comes to improving attendances.

Our half new/half old option, is just that, with further expansion as problematic as the current one, it will be a physical compromise, and take some years to complete with some disruption inevitable. We will fill it, and if we slip out of the top four, it will not break us.

City have gone half now, half later too... works's well underway on the first half, but the site's a lot easier to work on than Anfield. I think City need to test the water for demand more than Liverpool do though.

Taken from SSC.

image.jpg

If Liverpool did nothing more than THAT it's an improvement for the area.

I'm not knocking Anfield, the area, just that it's precisely what needs to happen. 

LFC's been held back for years by the area, now it has a chance to rescue the area. I know not everybody's a Liverpool fan around there, or even a football fan, but LFC are the best hope that place has of improvement. Should have happened donkeys years ago.

If Liverpool did nothing more than THAT it's an improvement for the area.

I'm not knocking Anfield, the area, just that it's precisely what needs to happen. 

LFC's been held back for years by the area, now it has a chance to rescue the area. I know not everybody's a Liverpool fan around there, or even a football fan, but LFC are the best hope that place has of improvement. Should have happened donkeys years ago.

An extra 13,500 seats , and two more imposing stands wont make much difference to the area at all.

The surrounding area, in part, has been blighted by the club's piecemeal acquisition policy. The part renovation of the stadium will also blight the area during construction for a longer period than a new stadium would have done.

There has been no commitment to invest beyond the stadium, whereas a New Anfield would have delivered Anfield Plaza.

A two stand rebuild does not rescue the area. We are no saviours. It will require more Council cash to do that, and more than would have been needed if a New Anfield had been built.

• Downvote 1

City have gone half now, half later too... works's well underway on the first half, but the site's a lot easier to work on than Anfield. I think City need to test the water for demand more than Liverpool do though.

Really? What's the attendance like now? They don't even sell out champions league games do they?