You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson - what are you?

silverlining

Hard to summarise Henderson's performance last night.

As has been said, he was almost entirely hopeless in the first half, especially the first 30 minutes or so.

Another weakness was that a lot of their best attacks came down his side. A few reasons for that - Baines and Pienaar are their best players and they kept going down that side; Henderson constantly gave the ball away in the first half and was then out of position and left Kelly exposed; and later he still seemed to be the only man in the ground who couldn't see the Baines, inside, back to Baines on the overlap - triangle that they kept working, meaning Jordan was always a yard behind him.

He does seem to have an eye for a through ball right enough, especially a first-time one.

Having said that, Downing has an eye for a great cross every now and then, but not often enough and we never seem to score from them, hence the lack of assists.

Henderson definitely improved as the game went on, he did some good things as opposed to his brutal early stuff, but it was still no shock when Dirk replaced him.

Which game were you watching ? because last night he was fucking diabolical in the first half. it was half an hour before he completed a pass, before that, every single thing he did went wrong.

He was ok second half, granted. Excellent ??????? ffs.

For a lad who didn't complete a pass he Certainly gave a good impression of it as he put kelly and Suarez through on goal with defence splitting passes before HT, making a cuppa then were we?

I think he may have been nervous in the first 20 minuntes or so because he did miss place some passes and you could see him getting frustrated. I dont necessarily believe the 'if your good enough your old enough' adage as each individual is different. You could have all the attributes to be a top player but may not be up to it mentally. I believe Henderson is up to it and a little more experience of big nights like last night will see him gain that confidence and become an important player for LFC.

He's got all the tools to be top class. Just needs to believe in himself more.

Not sure why anyone wants any of the u18's given a chance, when you see how little patience afforded to the England u21 captain.

He's Lucas mk2. Only this time, his quality is even more obvious.

My feeling since the beginning, to be honest.

It is staggering how polar people are when it comes to judging a player on a game-by-game basis.

I won't be judging him on Everton at Anfield. I'll be judging him on Stoke on Sunday, on QPR away, on Wigan at Anfield, and the rest of the games in April and May. Together, as a collective, those games will indicate whether or not he is going to be a success at this club.

Let's just calm the fuck down shall we.

I thought he was almost excellent last night. Almost. Unfortunately, he looked like he had precious little self-belief and that was holding him back. There were times when there was a reasonable chance of him beating his man, playing the killer pass or getting a shot away. However, he kept holding back and going for a safer option instead.

I hope someone's getting into his ear today and telling him to sack up, because that small change in confidence could have turned last night into an absolute massacre.

100% correct.

I've said it before, Henderson needs to get himself out on the piss with Doctor Troy. A bar fight or 3 would do him the world of good.

I'm with you on this one!

Played well, on the right also. He can be Gerrard's replacement, with Adam coming off the bench for the last half hour.

You are seriously having a giraffe aren't you ?

The kid has a decent game, plays a few nice passes and puts a shift in and you're saying he can be the replacement for (possibly) the greatest player to ever wear the Red shirt ?!

Negged.

I didn't really want to be arsed saying it to be honest but that first half hour he was absolutely abysmal - he could have cost us two goals and it could have all been very different.

I feel a bit sorry for him really - he's trying hard and he gives a fuck and he's playing out of position a lot of the time but I think there are enough signs that he will become a decent player here.

It is staggering how polar people are when it comes to judging a player on a game-by-game basis.

I won't be judging him on Everton at Anfield. I'll be judging him on Stoke on Sunday, on QPR away, on Wigan at Anfield, and the rest of the games in April and May. Together, as a collective, those games will indicate whether or not he is going to be a success at this club.

Let's just calm the fuck down shall we.

I don't think we'll know for a while after that tbh, although the signs are good There was little indication that Lucas was going to make it after his first season here. There's a difference between potential and reality. Lots of players fail at turning one into the other - christ knows we've had a few here. For what it's worth, his initial performances have been significantly better that Lucas's, so if he can improve at the same rate and to the same degree, we'll have a decent player on our books in a few years.

You are seriously having a giraffe aren't you ?

The kid has a decent game, plays a few nice passes and puts a shift in and you're saying he can be the replacement for (possibly) the greatest player to ever wear the Red shirt ?!

Negged.

Wind your neck in nugget.

The operative word is can! He can, didn't say he can be as good as Gerrard, nor did I say he can be better, I said he can be his replacement i.e. when Gerrard isn't playing, he can be his replacement.

Before you go on your pathetic little negging spree, try taking a little time to actually find out what people say. Because this may come as a surprise to you but people don't all agree with you, you are not the oracle.

You not even Wikipedia, your just some bloke.

Wind your neck in nugget.

The operative word is can! He can, didn't say he can be as good as Gerrard, nor did I say he can be better, I said he can be his replacement i.e. when Gerrard isn't playing, he can be his replacement.

Before you go on your pathetic little negging spree, try taking a little time to actually find out what people say. Because this may come as a surprise to you but people don't all agree with you, you are not the oracle.

You not even Wikipedia, your just some bloke.

Ouch ! The neg didn't go down too well then ?!

I thought it was interesting that he made a near identical run to the one Gerrard did for the 2nd goal, albeit a couple of seconds sooner than Gerrard.

In the end, it opened up the space for Stevie, but I think it shows that Henderson does have something about him. The only reason he is playing on right mid is to give him experience, before surely he is moved into the middle, as he will never be a wide midfielder.

Gerrard used to be played at right back for the same reason.

The problems is that our left midfielder offers fuck all at the minute so we're paying the price for blooding Henderson. Personally, I'd rather have been playing Henderson in the middle ahead of Adam and get Dirk/Maxi on the flank. Also, Henderson nes to learn how to tackle and he ain't going to do that on the wing.

Jordan played his part in the opener and the second goal. He played a number of exciting passes to exploit the space vacated by the marauding Baines - very intelligent. A good performance, and a glint into the future of what this immensely promissing individual brings to dalglish's Reds. Splendid.

He had a decent game after an opening 25 minutes of utter shite. But I'm afraid that "decent games" have been unfortunately rare this season from him.

And while I may go OTT in my criticism of poor little Hendo, your praise is equally wince-inducing, even if you are doing it on purpose, and also don't really mean it.