You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rise of the far right in Europe.

Sugar Ape

Do you think it was necessary for the news media to use the words "Punish A Muslim Day"?

Of course it was. It would be ridiculous self-censorship if they didn't report it. You make it sound like the very fact of mentioning it is tantamount to an endorsement.

Do you think it was necessary for the news media to use the words "Punish A Muslim Day"?

The word "punish" reinforces the racist idea that there is something inherently wrong with being Muslim - like the right-wing narrative that Muslims are anti-British terrorist-sympathisers - and attaches it to a direct call to commit acts of violence. And in their reporting of this, the media are publicising it far more effectively than the cunts who wrote the letter ever could have hoped. That is dangerously irresponsible.

It's what the thing is called by the organisers.  It's like saying that every time you mention English Defence League you are reinforcing the stereotype that England is in need of defending and that EDL members are the ones defending it, or that Britain First puts Britain before everything else so you are effectively inviting all people who feel first and foremost British to join them.

I don't think there is much chance of people who don't think Muslims need punishing for being Muslims would be attracted to that concept because of this media report.

It's what the thing is called by the organisers. It's like saying that every time you mention English Defence League you are reinforcing the stereotype that England is in need of defending and that EDL members are the ones defending it, or that Britain First puts Britain before everything else so you are effectively inviting all people who feel first and foremost British to join them.

I don't think there is much chance of people who don't think Muslims need punishing for being Muslims would be attracted to that concept because of this media report.

There is a serious risk that cunts who otherwise would have stayed at home, grumbling to themselves about how much they hate Muslims will be encouraged to assault innocent people on that day, because the media have chosen to broadcast a call to arms, rather than follow the usual line of reporting racist threats and abuse without actually repeating them.

Then again, you, me and Stronts aren't Muslims, so why should we give a fuck?

I give a fuck. My ancestors have been forced to flee countries on numerous occasions because of this type of organised violence against minorities. However I still don't think that the mere act of reporting on it does anything to perpetuate it.

I give a fuck. My ancestors have been forced to flee countries on numerous occasions because of this type of organised violence against minorities. However I still don't think that the mere act of reporting on it does anything to perpetuate it.

You don't see the difference between reporting it ("some cunts have been sending threatening racist letters") and promoting it ("Punish A Muslim - 3rd April")?

• 2 weeks later...