You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is this the best first XI in the league?

Guest LFD

In every team he's ever managed he's always had a Lucas type player in the first team, so your comment is incredibly inaccurate.

We're about to find out about that. Get back to me when he's started 20 league games in the coming season.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, yeah. I knew you were going to say Ronnie. He certainly did very much "sit" just in front of the back four in his last two seasons.

I'm not saying that it isn't an important role. I adored Didi Hamann.

But Lucas isn't good enough. I want to see more dynamism, stature, power and presence. I want a player who can score at least one or two. Who can create one or two. Who will control games and if he can't control it, fucking snap someone in half.

Lucas is an industrious scurrier. That's it. And there's a hundred players better than him. We won't achieve what we need with him as a starting player.

You could make a case for Nigel Spackman being pretty Lucas-like aswell.

I'm not going to try and change your opinion on Lucas and debate whether he's good enough for us, as you seem pretty set in your ways. Saying Lucas isn't good enough is totally different to saying Kenny wouldn't want him because he doesn't like the type of 'limited' players that play in the 'Lucas' role.

Even if you don't think Lucas is good enough for us, I think it's hard to argue with the fact that we'll always have a defensive minded midfielder that will more than likely be 'limited' in attack while Kenny is manager.

We're about to find out about that. Get back to me when he's started 20 league games in the coming season.

He will, unless we buy a new defensive midfielder, which looks highly unlikely judging by the fact Lucas was given a new long term deal and Comolli said we had done most of our transfer dealings.

Spackman was in the side that beat Forest 5-0 in that game, which very few people remember.

I remember Bob Paisley describing him as the sort of player that would carry other players on his back.

Yes, I like and appreciate players like Hamann and Whelan. I think that many people think the opprobrium I hurl at Lucas is based around the fact that his "job" on the pitch is less than glamourous. Untrue. I know every team needs a workhorse. God knows, I've stuck up for Kuyt often enough.

I just know that Lucas isn't good enough for us.

Look at this list of midfield players:

Whelan

Gerrard

Souness

Molby

Mascherano

Alonso

McMahon

McDermott

Now think how fucking far away Lucas is from ever being included anywhere NEAR that list.

That's what we need to win trophies.

Nearly every team in the Premiership has a CM player I'd prefer to Lucas.

Lucas will start because he's one of our best players. People don't realise just how good he is.

Yeah.

It's why nobody ever tries to buy the fucker, apart from Palermo or Stoke, and is also the reason not one team in the top 8 of the Premiership would have him in their team.

And several teams in the bottom half have better central midfielders.

Lucas will not get a regular game this season. Kenny will not to

Vlerate a player who contributes so little.

For the little he has contributed, he was our best player last season and was awarded a contract extension.

For what its worth, you are blinded by Lucas hate. He will ne first name on our team sheet next season, better get used to it....

For the little he has contributed, he was our best player last season and was awarded a contract extension.

For what its worth, you are blinded by Lucas hate. He will ne first name on our team sheet next season, better get used to it....

Yeah, the very first name. Fuck Gerrard, Carragher and Suarez. Lucas every time.

Please do allow yourself a few minutes to indulge in some hysterical quacking.

Yeah.

It's why nobody ever tries to buy the fucker, apart from Palermo or Stoke, and is also the reason not one team in the top 8 of the Premiership would have him in their team.

And several teams in the bottom half have better central midfielders.

So a player is only as good as the times he has been linked to be sold? Sound logic there mate. He is a solid player for us and is a Brazilian international team regular. Dont hate the player cause he is not your type of player, he is King Kennys though and that is all that matters.

Yeah, the very first name. Fuck Gerrard, Carragher and Suarez. Lucas every time.

Please do allow yourself a few minutes to indulge in some hysterical quacking.

Injury free, consistent, solid passing, keeps things simple and effective, great defensive cover and vision, hard working and links up play really well. Other than that what else does he offer?

Please do continue....

We're going to see a lot of 4-4-2 next season IMO, and my gut feeling is that Kenny thinks he can make Gerrard and Adam play together successfully in the middle without another DM.

Big gamble as Adam doesnt have the legs and Gerrard is at his best when he roams around and pops up everywhere. I just cant see how those two can work in 2 man midfield

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Big gamble as Adam doesnt have the legs and Gerrard is at his best when he roams around and pops up everywhere. I just cant see how those two can work in 2 man midfield

It won't happen, so I wouldn't give it too much thought.

No, because Suarez is not a winger, Lucas isn't good enough, and Kelly hasn't proved much of anything yet and, arguably, neither has Carroll.

Let's not start sucking each other off just yet, this is what cripples us every year, deformed expectation on the shoulders of our players.

Let's learn to play together first, then we can discuss if the side is ready to challenge.

Couldnt have said it better myself mate.... I hate to be a pessimist but expect the worst people... but hope for the best....

Lucas will be a regular next season. We need a guy like that to do the dirty work for the rest of the team. Anyone who thinks we're going to line up with Gerrard and Adam in central midfield together without Lucas to back them up is living in cloud cuckoo land.

• 1 month later...
Lucas will not get a regular game this season. Kenny will not tolerate a player who contributes so little.

You're too stubborn to admit you were massively wrong so I guess you're hoping he gets injured as theres no way this lad is getting dropped!