You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No more British players

Sloan

Why do people say this is a wind-up? If Roy signed all these players we'd all be having breakdowns. I've not said these are bad players. They will improve the squad but I just don't think they will take us any higher than what we achieved last season.

Sorry if that opinion offends people, I thought I was at a forum where such opinions could be freely expressed. Obviously I was wrong.

Well, if this is your view, Sloan, you probably should have said so.

Your problem appears to be with the calibre of player not the nationality which renders the title of this thread a bit of a misnomer.

For what it's worth, I am a little apprehensive about these signings and their cost also. Surprisingly I am now most optimistic about Adam and he's the player I was probably railing the most against. I think he might now be an astute buy. But Downing and Henderson for £35-40m? Yikes! But time will tell and I have faith!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TK-421
Why do people say this is a wind-up? If Roy signed all these players we'd all be having breakdowns. I've not said these are bad players. They will improve the squad but I just don't think they will take us any higher than what we achieved last season.

Sorry if that opinion offends people, I thought I was at a forum where such opinions could be freely expressed. Obviously I was wrong.

You did say English and Scottish players are rubbish. The essence of your post was that they are bad players.

Guest simon
Please. The England team are crap for a reason. It's because their players are largely rubbish. And Scotland are even worse.

A midfield of Adam, Henderson and Downing is filling me with dread. Something I'd expect from an Aston Villa or Sunderland. Thankfully we still have one of the better English players in Gerrard.

Hopefully the rest of our shopping will be done abroad where purchases are generally cheaper and of better quality.

More Suarez's, less Downing's please Kenny.

The England team is Crap because of Rivalries between clubs, Ego's, Cant play together, Its not fairly picked i can think of a hundred reason its certainly not because British players are crap.

But Downing and Henderson for £35-40m? Yikes! But time will tell and I have faith!

I think this sums up a lot of people's feelings. We've spent big, we've took a risk, only time will tell if it's good or bad.

Debating whether players will be good or bad is one thing, but saying out right we shouldn't sign Britsh players is not right surely?

I for one believe that everyone we have signed have made us a better sqaud AND team than last year. Sloan, do you think that Downing isn't an improvement on Maxi as a winger? Or Cole?

Guest The Chimp

You said that the best English players are rubbish and the Scots even worse. You then said that a midfield of midfield of Adam, Henderson and Downing fills you with dread - if that's you not rating players as bad, fuck knows what you write about those you really don't rate.

Also we're not talking about players Hodgson bought are we?

"You know that Billy down the road?"

"Yeah"

"He's only trying to split the atom in his garage isn't he?"

"What!?"

"Yeah, he's been down to B&Q and got himself a big hammer and everything. . . "

Is a fair bit different than Ernest Rutherford doing it isn't it? Much the same way that Kenny backing players is a bit different from Roy.

In isolation the players we have signed are above average fairly steady players in terms of the level of their ability and aren't anything to get too excited about. To take them in isolation though is to miss the point as what Kenny does is create a team ethic and the players he signs are the people who will fit into that. Look at the players below he won the league with:

Tim Flowers

Jeff Kenna

Tony Gale

Alan Wright

Tim Sherwood

Colin Hendry

Graeme Le Saux

Stuart Ripley

Paul Warhurst

David Batty

Mark Atkins

Chris Sutton

Alan Shearer

Jason Wilcox

Henning Berg

Robbie Slater

Ian Pearce

Kevin Gallacher

Mike Newell

On an individual level that squad is very poor and with the exception of Shearer, Berg and maybe Batty none of them had a top level career outside Blackburn. I would definitely say that while it's a different era our current squad possesses far more talent than that Blackburn team but they won the league and we spent half a season fighting relegation.

The reason they won the league is that Kenny knows how to create a team that is better than just the level of just the individuals in it and is doing that now.

The problem here is that we want a club that wins things year in year out, that Blackburn side won the premiership once, we don't know if the side could've had another year at the top winning things.

My worry is that our playing style will be quite predictable with players like Henderson, Downing and Carroll and teams will quickly suss us out and devise gameplans to stop us being effective. Also with teams that have one dimensional styles of play they often hit a ceiling and can't go above that, a bit like Aston Villa under O'Neill who only had one style of play, when that failed they dropped a lot of points.

Guest The Chimp
Mods please lock this thread. I am no longer interested in discussing this topic with children who lack the maturity to have a proper debate.

Thanks.

monkey.jpg

Quelle surprise.

The England TEAM is shite. Individually, they're not though. They just cant play together. Its not about nationality, its about talent. And we have bought talent in Jordan, a proven Premiership winger in Downing and got a good deal with Adam, who, I'm sure, will be a success. If we'd have paid the same amounts for Spanish talent, the majority on here would be creaming it because they play for the best international side in the world. Gerrard has struggled for England, Rooney has, Barnes did, the list is endless, are they shit? Our 'fans' of late are beyond a fuckin joke. Imo Downing will be a revelation. The same people slagging Downing off are probably the same people who were made up with the likes of Riera and Maxi. Please fuck off

Guest The Chimp
but with all due respect, Aston Villa did not have the magic ingredient of having someone to pull something special out of a hat like Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez when something may be required

Love you work Bella - how's Russ? Oh, and quite right. Plus we don't know who else might be lined up.

There's no way we're going to be predictable next year. Do you honestly think we'll continually play the same way over and over if things aren't going well?

Hate to speak ill of past managers but that was Roy's mistake, not changing when he saw things weren't working.

I don't think you can label Kenny's team from last season as predictable. And the players we've signed, whether you think they are poor, average, good or whatever, will only make us more unpredictable.

We've got a bit of everything in midfeild, which is where our business has been done so far.

but with all due respect, Aston Villa did not have the magic ingredient of having someone to pull something special out of a hat like Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez when something may be required

Chelsea have the likes of Malouda, Drogba, Torres and Lampard who can create goals out of moments of inspiration, Suarez and Gerrard are the only ones that can do that for us, I feel we need another 'match winner' in our team to take us to that next level and ensure we're really competitive on all fronts next year.

It's nothing to do with the thread topic though and probably best discussed in the Summer 2011 thread.

Chelsea have the likes of Malouda, Drogba, Torres and Lampard who can create goals out of moments of inspiration, Suarez and Gerrard are the only ones that can do that for us, I feel we need another 'match winner' in our team to take us to that next level and ensure we're really competitive on all fronts next year.

My thoughts completely. Hopefully they have someone in mind.

Mods please lock this thread. I am no longer interested in discussing this topic with children who lack the maturity to have a proper debate.

Thanks.

I can't see that happening, in fact I'd make it a sticky just to highlight how much fucking nonsense you come out with.

Also, Sloan Deranger is a great tag.

Seriously? Adam, Henderson, Downing (and probably Gerard) as a midfield 4 fills you with dread?

Tell me - what did a midfield of Maxi, Lucas, Spearing and Kuyt fill you with at the start of Kenny's tenure? Because I know I thought they weren't as good as they played under him as manager.

I find it amazing people are judging before they've kicked a ball for our club.

yep, it far cry from Alonso, Mascherano & Gerrard, i remember not so long ago singing "we've got the best midfield in the world".

Will you be the singing the same with Adam, Henderson & Downing?

Dunno like, i'd have Baines for LB in a heartbeat. Or Adam Johnson for the wing.

Seriously? Adam, Henderson, Downing (and probably Gerard) as a midfield 4 fills you with dread?

It kind of does for me too. Gerrard and Adam in a central midfield partnership doesn't look like a good balance. But, injuries permitting, i doubt we'll see it anyway.

Despite this Downing is still seen as a peculiarly depressing figure. Why is this? Undoubtedly he has a terrible name. Stewart Downing. Downing. Down. Ing. If only he could have been called Stewart Davis or Steve Dawning or Stanley Devastating he might have sounded more like a compelling athletic force and less like a travelling paperclip salesman or the pale boy at school who used to be sick a lot and cry in PE.

fucking funny that (not haha)

quote from barney ronay.