You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Correlation is not causation but I thought this was interesting. The bottom 3 keepers played the majority of games for Leicester, Southampton and Leeds until they got dropped. Look at Neto and Pickford near the top. Neto got injured and Travers played,  Bournemouth struggled when he was out. Forest replaced Henderson with Navas in a deadline deal in Jan. Moral of the story is if you are shit don't have a shit keeper.  Leicester selling Schmeichel last summer looks a bad bad deal. 

Screenshot-20230521-215936-Twitter.jpg

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

And de He's, who has just clinched the Golden Gloves.

What the fuck is xGP anyway?

Expected Goals Prevented. It's used to measure the GK performance irrelevant of how the defence peforms, tactics etc (if that is possible).

Neto and Pickford are said to be responsible for overperforming and are credited with preventing 2.8 and 3.1 goals. In comparison to Ward who is said to cost his team an additional 8.8 goals, Meslier 11.8 goals and Bazunu 18.8. Like xG but with preventing. So you have zones and say Salah takes a shot in a spot that is measured at 0.2 that means players should score 20% of the time and the GK would be allocated a score if he saves or concedes it. The list above is a cumulative total. 

3 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

Expected Goals Prevented. It's used to measure the GK performance irrelevant of how the defence peforms, tactics etc (if that is possible).

Neto and Pickford are said to be responsible for overperforming and are credited with preventing 2.8 and 3.1 goals. In comparison to Ward who is said to cost his team an additional 8.8 goals, Meslier 11.8 goals and Bazunu 18.8. Like xG but with preventing. So you have zones and say Salah takes a shot in a spot that is measured at 0.2 that means players should score 20% of the time and the GK would be allocated a score if he saves or concedes it. The list above is a cumulative total. 

Does it adjust for whether the player taking the shot is shit?  Having Haaland in a 0.2 zone is a different prospect to having, say, Adama Traore in that zone: a keeper would do well to save the former; less so the latter.

43 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Does it adjust for whether the player taking the shot is shit?  Having Haaland in a 0.2 zone is a different prospect to having, say, Adama Traore in that zone: a keeper would do well to save the former; less so the latter.

In the League we get the same 3 points whoever the opposition are. At the end you add up the points. As this is cumulative you get to tally up in a similar manner against good or shit players. So I'd say small samples are less reliable like looking at the league table in August. But the more results there are then...

This definitely has its flaws. Although I thought this highlighting Pickford and Neto performing well whilst Ward Bazunu and Meslier less so was interesting. To test it further, we need Everton to sell Pickford and get Meslier or Ward maybe!

1 minute ago, Denny Crane said:

In the League we get the same 3 points whoever the opposition are. At the end you add up the points. As this is cumulative you get to tally up in a similar manner against good or shit players. So I'd say small samples are less reliable like looking at the league table in August. But the more results there are then...

This definitely has its flaws. Although I thought this highlighting Pickford and Neto performing well whilst Ward Bazunu and Meslier less so was interesting. To test it further, we need Everton to sell Pickford and get Meslier or Ward maybe!

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind, we'd have been in a relegation battle this season had we had meslier in goal. If we'd have loaned Leeds kelleher this season, Everton would be down. It actually illustrates for me just how shit Everton are. 

24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind, we'd have been in a relegation battle this season had we had meslier in goal. If we'd have loaned Leeds kelleher this season, Everton would be down. It actually illustrates for me just how shit Everton are. 

Outside of Liverpool I don’t think Alisson gets the respect he deserves.  Apparently Everton have had one win in the last 10 and still not getting relegated. 

8 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Outside of Liverpool I don’t think Alisson gets the respect he deserves.  Apparently Everton have had one win in the last 10 and still not getting relegated. 

There's always a shittier fish. 

16 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

And in that game they actually won against Brighton, he made a string of very good saves. If they had mellier in goal they wouldn't have won that one. They also wouldn't have won their home league game against Leeds if mellier had been replaced by a life sized subuteo goaly controlled by a fan on a big stick behind the goal. I don't think it can be underestimated how bad mellier is. 

As resigned as we all are to those cunts escaping again, actual Everton fans will still be shitting it. 6 days left in the season and they're survival isn't in there own hands, shitter teams than Leicester have gone and won a couple of games.