You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of manager speculation for you:

I can see Real Madrid parting company with Mourinho because he doesn't play the football they want and Di Stefano has already criticized it. They won't win their league and if they don't win the Champions League they may part company.

Going off track from the theme of this thread somewhat, but the bit in bold highlights exactly what is ridiculous about Real Madrid.

They hire a coach to play crowd-pleasing football (Pellegrini), to be the players' friend (Del Bosque), or to toe the club line and be a lackey for the president (Queiroz, Garcia Remon). If or when that approach doesn't work, the coach is turfed out and his replacement is usually a disciplinarian (Ramos) or a coach with a winning record but little time for club hierarchy or crowd-pleasing football (Capello twice, and now Mourinho). They might win the trophies but they moan about a lack of entertainment, and turf the coach out again.

There is little continuity or method to their approach, and it costs the annual GDP of a mid-ranking African nation each season as the squad gets overhauled. To bring the thread back on track, quite how or why Wenger would be a solution for them I cannot see at all. Especially as he would have little to no say in which players are signed or released.

To bring the thread back on track, quite how or why Wenger would be a solution for them I cannot see at all. Especially as he would have little to no say in which players are signed or released.

The players are there for Real Madrid, they just need the freedom to go and play.

A bit of manager speculation for you:

I can see Real Madrid parting company with Mourinho because he doesn't play the football they want.

As Wenger leaves there will be a bit of clear out. Fabregas will go, as well as one or two others. But I think Kroenke will bankroll the new man to shape a new team.

This is all idle speculation on my part.

Real knew what the club was getting when hiring Mourinho. However, the club has racked up some high scores this season. Just last night, Real whacked 6 past Valencia on their own turf. But against Barcelona, a different approach is needed, especially given the score last Autumn.

As for Arsenal, the mancs have been shite on the road all season, and Arsenal have been handed plenty of chances to make up points. They haven't though, as they over-elaborate at home, and haven't got the bottle at certain away grounds, such as today. That will always be the case as long as Wenger stays there.

Even if Real thought Wenger was the right man for them, why would he even think of going there when he knows he'd most likely only get one season to prove himself? Real have chucked out double winning managers in the past!

He's on the cushiest number going as far as he's concerned, with all the press wanking over his 'young' teams' play for years and only latterly getting a bit of flak for not producing a trophy for years.

They just aren't as good as they are built up to be and that they think they are. He has 4 keepers and each one is shit. He has crap centre backs too. Djourou is a disaster and now Vermaalen hasn't played this season I hear many people saying when he gets back they will be better at defending but as I recall last season when he was a regular Arsenal's defence was still dodgy.

Walcott has gone down the pan along with Arshavin. The game against Spurs on Wednesday the supposed "Genius Professor" took off Walcott from the right wing with 10 mins to play and put Bendtner on there in his place. "Genius!"

He has done a Cloughie and been there too long and lost the plot and the players by the look of it to me. He is a parody of himself. Every game is the same. Every goal he celebrates with his little fist pump thing and every decision that goes against his team even if it involves an Arsenal player going studs up and hurting someone he is there moaning with the 4th official. I think they need a new approach.

As someone wrote earlier why didn't he buy Given when he was at Newcastle? He was there 10 bloody years and consistently very good. Instead he kept faith with Almunia who pundits and fans alike always knew was never good enough. Ok he may have tried last summer for Reina but he must have known he probably wouldn't get him. After that failed why didn't he get someone else who is on that level?

How many times since Wenger joined Arsenal have we finished above them?

I don't know, and I don't care. What I do care about is that Wenger has lost it. If you compare those stats you're talking about from the first half of his reign at Arsenal to the current half, I'm pretty sure they will confirm it.

Agree with the poster who said Fabregas has become a Torres like figure for them. I'd fuck him off and take the £40-50m that Barca are willing to spend on him, make Wilshere the fulcrum of the team and get a keeper in, a centre half and a midfield destroyer. Maybe even a striker who does fuck all but latches onto things in the box and gets 20 goals a season. I was listening to Lee Dixon the other day on Five Live and he reckons that Darren Bent would have been perfect for them when he made the move to Villa in January. I don't think that's a bad shout, to be fair.

Knowing Wenger though, he'll probably buy a few 5'8'' shithouses who all play in the same position and look brilliant against the likes of Wolves and Wigan but go missing when it counts.

Agree with the poster who said Fabregas has become a Torres like figure for them. I'd fuck him off and take the £40-50m that Barca are willing to spend on him, make Wilshere the fulcrum of the team and get a keeper in, a centre half and a midfield destroyer. Maybe even a striker who does fuck all but latches onto things in the box and gets 20 goals a season. I was listening to Lee Dixon the other day on Five Live and he reckons that Darren Bent would have been perfect for them when he made the move to Villa in January. I don't think that's a bad shout, to be fair.

Knowing Wenger though, he'll probably buy a few 5'8'' shithouses who all play in the same position and look brilliant against the likes of Wolves and Wigan but go missing when it counts.

That pretty much sums it for me too. All the hysteria around Arsenal and Wenger is getting a bit silly. If Wenger finally learns and drops his purist stance just a notch and recognises that every top football team has it's grunts, players who aren't necessarily purist footballers but have important abilities elsewhere they could still win the title next season.

Hell if Wenger went out and bought Given and Cahill during the summer that would probably be enough.

Fat chance of that though as you say 5'8" non entity with a great first touch.

Personally I'd cash in on Fabregas if I could and try and tempt Mascherano off the bench at Barcelona, how about a swap deal?

Wilshire and Mascherano as a central midfield would be an entirely different proposition.

They will be back next season. He just needs to think of a Plan B thats all.

Really dont understand the criticism they are receiving. They dont owe it to anyone elses fans to win the league.

Wenger is a quality manager.

They had a plan B. That's why they bought Adebayor, so they could go back to front quickly. Then as they do, they got rid and didn't replace, putting them back at square 1. And that's the rub, obvious failings remain unaddressed because Wenger is allowed to pursue a vanity project.