You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The god Delusion: Richard Dawkins

niallers

At least he was when he was alive.

At the time I wrote that post, Hitchens was very much alive and still writing. He died in December 2011 and the date on my post is March 2011.

Rico, we both know that the context of those texts was not what you are desperately trying to pretend it is. Dawkins, with his usual arrogance, fucked up and showed the world what he truly thinks of anyone lesser than him ( and that includes you and me, by the way). He's an intelligent bloke and he uses language carefully and accurately. If he meant "this is just my opinion" he would have said it. He was asked advice about by a young woman about what she should do if she finds out she is carrying a child with Downs Syndrome and he said it was immoral to knowingly give birth to a Downs Syndrome child if you have a choice. He did not say it was just his opinion, he said it as a clear fact. He did not say that it was ok for a pregnant mother to choose to keep a pregnancy diagnosed as Downs Syndrome, he said it would be immoral. He is not pro-choice, he is pro-his opinion.

You can make all the excuses you want but it's simply bullshit. And, by the way, Dawkins being a wanker and wrong on this issue does not mean that evolution has been disproved. Only an arrogant cunt like Dawkins would think that

• Upvote 2

Rico, we both know that the context of those texts was not what you are desperately trying to pretend it is. Dawkins, with his usual arrogance, fucked up and showed the world what he truly thinks of anyone lesser than him ( and that includes you and me, by the way). He's an intelligent bloke and he uses language carefully and accurately. If he meant "this is just my opinion" he would have said it. He was asked advice about by a young woman about what she should do if she finds out she is carrying a child with Downs Syndrome and he said it was immoral to knowingly give birth to a Downs Syndrome child if you have a choice. He did not say it was just his opinion, he said it as a clear fact. He did not say that it was ok for a pregnant mother to choose to keep a pregnancy diagnosed as Downs Syndrome, he said it would be immoral. He is not pro-choice, he is pro-his opinion.

You can make all the excuses you want but it's simply bullshit. And, by the way, Dawkins being a wanker and wrong on this issue does not mean that evolution has been disproved. Only an arrogant cunt like Dawkins would think that

Well made up, very well made up. Christ.

So he's saying it's immoral to inflict crushing lifelong disability on a person if you have the option not to. Cannot see the issue with that. At all.

I think it goes further than that, he's saying you can prevent it before the cluster of cells becomes a person.

I think it goes further than that, he's saying you can prevent it before the cluster of cells becomes a person.

No, he's saying it's immoral not to. That your choice to raise a child with certain disabilities makes you a bad person. Basically that you don't really have a choice. I'd be interested in knowing what other conditions he considers immoral for parents to allow

• Upvote 1

No, he's saying it's immoral not to. That your choice to raise a child with certain disabilities makes you a bad person. Basically that you don't really have a choice. I'd be interested in knowing what other conditions he considers immoral for parents to allow

Have you been on a creative reading course?

Presumably you've been on a creative excuses course, probably compulsory for your job.

Just to remind you, you don't have to give up all your belief in atheism if you admit that Dawkins is a bit of a wanker and is sometimes wrong

Stronts, this is preemptive -go to your room and leave the adults alone

Presumably you've been on a creative excuses course, probably compulsory for your job.

Just to remind you, you don't have to give up all your belief in atheism if you admit that Dawkins is a bit of a wanker and is sometimes wrong

Stronts, this is preemptive -go to your room and leave the adults alone

Of course he's wrong on some things, show me where I said he wasn't? Maybe you've got your knickers in a twist because you are a god botherer.

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

I think he's entitled to his opinion on that, it's not like he's the one making the decision. Nor is he ever likely to be making that decision in the future. It was something that myself and my partner spoke about during the pregnancy of all of our kids and we came to our own decision on that.

Ultimately the decision rests with the parents. I really think this is another chance for a rag to make something from nothing. 

• Upvote 1

I've got my knickers in a twist because I support atheism (although not at the cost of tolerance to religious belief) and the most famous advocate is an utter wanker. He's unnecessarily controversial and has delusions of grandeur and says utterly ridiculous things. He's wrong on this and you can't contextualise it away.

I would imagine it's like being a Tory and finding out that Cameron in is charge

I think he's entitled to his opinion on that, it's not like he's the one making the decision. Nor is he ever likely to be making that decision in the future. It was something that myself and my partner spoke about during the pregnancy of all of our kids and we came to our own decision on that.

Ultimately the decision rests with the parents. I really think this is another chance for a rag to make something from nothing.

Yes it's your decision and it's not for someone else to tell you that one of the choices is immoral

Guest davelfc

Yes it's your decision and it's not for someone else to tell you that one of the choices is immoral

Wrong, it's entirely up to them to have their opinion of what we may have decided. That's called 'their opinion' which is lost on a lot people these days.

• Upvote 1

I've got my knickers in a twist because I support atheism (although not at the cost of tolerance to religious belief) and the most famous advocate is an utter wanker. He's unnecessarily controversial and has delusions of grandeur and says utterly ridiculous things. He's wrong on this and you can't contextualise it away.

I would imagine it's like being a Tory and finding out that Cameron in is charge

You accuse him of being arrogant but deny him the right of an opinion. Look closer to home.

Guest davelfc

And in my opinion it makes him a cunt.

Well we both decided that we would terminate the pregnancy (if that was the case), so I guess that makes us cunts too. 

Well we both decided that we would terminate the pregnancy, so I guess that makes us cunts too.

Hardly, you made a decision based on a number of factors. He is a cunt as his initial tweet said it was Immoral not to make the choice to terminate. Either way doesn't make you immoral.

• Upvote 1