You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Can somebody tell me whats so good about Mata?

I know he has the knack of getting goals and is a great finisher.

But I thought we were in need of a ball-carrier/winger?

Somebody who will take past a couple of players and supply the front two with an abundance of chances?

The lad has immense skill, vision, passing ability and guile. He's not express pace but enough to take himself past a man and if you combine it with his skill it makes him a brilliant package. His delivery can be a bit hit and miss but with Carroll in the middle he can make the most out of fairly shit crosses.

The lad still has the potential to get better as well, scary shit.

Baines, yes. I would love that. I suppose if Barton is dirt cheap then there is no harm in having someone with his versatility in the squad, but it does raise questions about how some of the younger players are going to get a look in. There's no doubt Barton has talent, but it seems like we're going to overloaded with midfielders if we sign him and Adam.

Like I say, I'm having a hard time believing there's anything in it. Stranger things have happened though. I almost want us to sign him now just to see the Red Nicks of this world having a breakdown.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I can't see Kenny signing Barton when he's told us we're going for the highest quality.

We've been linked with lots of people significantly lower than the 'highest calibre'. A throw away comment, I guess.

I'd rather we didn't sign a player who would blatantly rather be at the mancs than us.

Most top players with no connection to either would by default. That's not something you can blame them for given the relative status of the two clubs at the moment. It's really up to those at the club to sell why coming to us might be more beneficial to the player in question...if that results in someone changing their mind and opting for us after all, I see no problem it that, whatever the reason.

We've been linked with lots of people significantly lower than the 'highest calibre'. A throw away comment, I guess.

Which is why I don't really pay any attention to it, any ignorant Interweb cunt can make a 'link' these days. This thread alone is approaching 5k posts and we haven't made a single signing yet.

It's amazing what continually bigging yourself up in the press can do for your career. Though to be fair I think it's all nonsense and Kenny has got more sense.

Barton is a thug from a family of dogs.

He would add nothing to the squad but grief. I don't want him anywhere near us.

I wrote a letter to the club when we were looking at Bowyer, and I'm going to do the same now. Just in case.

No, no and thrice no.

EDIT:

Though on a more positive note, his shorts would add another dimension to the "Back to the Eighties" thread.

Edited by razor
Positive afterthought, but still believe it's not true