You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Young,Mata,Affelay all good options Young will be value for money £10-£15 million because of his contract situation, Mata will cost about 25 million if reports are to be believed and Affelay possibly £10 million, just depends how deep our new owners pockets are?

My thoughts having read this thread's comments this afternoon:

Newcastle fans might have been bewildered by Carroll leaving them for us as we're on a similar level. However, 33 points in 15 games now makes that look daft. And are they forgetting who owns their club?

Young, Downing etc. Both would offer us something different, pace in particular in the case of Young, but neither really convinces me. Young at the right price would be fine. What is happening with Marveaux? A while ago it was thought to be a done deal? I can't believe we'd have done that unless we're sure people like Cole and Jovanovic are leaving. Anyone think Ngog might go on loan next season and Jovanovic will be used as a reserve forward?

Anyone heard anything about Dimitri Payet apparently we were looking at him but have not anything recently, or is it just the journo's doing the French player link because of Damien Comolli ... would be a great addition to the team though

If we are getting some wingers (ish) in then Young, Mata, Affelay or Payet, any two of these would be a great start!

My thoughts having read this thread's comments this afternoon:

Newcastle fans might have been bewildered by Carroll leaving them for us as we're on a similar level. However, 33 points in 15 games now makes that look daft. And are they forgetting who owns their club?

Young, Downing etc. Both would offer us something different, pace in particular in the case of Young, but neither really convinces me. Young at the right price would be fine. What is happening with Marveaux? A while ago it was thought to be a done deal? I can't believe we'd have done that unless we're sure people like Cole and Jovanovic are leaving. Anyone think Ngog might go on loan next season and Jovanovic will be used as a reserve forward?

I think jovanovic will definitely leave even if we have to pay up his contract.

Ngog really needs to be playing every week or hes got no chance of improving so he either needs to go on a seasons loan or get sold and to me Cole already looks like a player who knows his future is somewhere else.

I think the most likely signings now are Enrique (though I don't think this is "done" as some have said), McCarthy and Young. I'm not convinced that we would sign both Young and Downing though, which leaves some question marks about whether Young would play primarily on the left or the right. If he isn't signed for the left then maybe we will be in for Mata as well, but that seems like a much harder deal to do.

I think we will swerve the bidding war for Cahill and move for Phil Jones instead.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think we'll have a 'marquee signing' as well as the ones mentioned

I think so, too. If we had Enrique, whom I rate very highly, Young and Matuidi, a CB, as well as somebody young and talented, like Philippe Coutinho for recently linked example, then I'd be fairly moderately happy. A top level player or talent on top of that would see us in good shape next year.

I'd also really like Arda Turan. No sign of that though, to be honest.

I think so, too. If we had Enrique, whom I rate very highly, Young and Matuidi, a CB, as well as somebody young and talented, like Philippe Coutinho for recently linked example, then I'd be fairly happy.

I'd also really like Arda Turan. No sign of that though, to be honest.

What kind of player is Blaise Matuidi and who is he comparable to in terms of ability and playing style?

Why have United won the league? Consistency and squad depth. One of the most important things is beling able to balance the premiership vs cl. All their rivals have had problems. Spurs couldn't handle the double commitment, Arsenal are flaky, Chelsea went on a diabolical run and City never seemed ruthless enough. May seem snide to suggest the others have lost it, but you can't say there's much difference in terms of player quality.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What kind of player is Blaise Matuidi and who is he comparable to in terms of ability and playing style?

Well, I mention him over other players that I'd prefer and know better (just like the others) because we're linked strongly with him. From what I've seen, which isn't a huge deal as I'm not a big fan of French football, and from what I've heard from those who do watch a lot (and Arsenal fans from when he was linked with them): he's a athletic, quick, and has good technique, especially for somebody who has a high tackle rate. Other than that, this seems to show that Comoli has long known about him.

EDIT: And there's also this.

I'd prefer m'vila from what i've seen and heard

He was excellent for France against England at Wembley last year but that is the only time that I have seen him play. Moussa Sissoko is another player who has impressed me whenever I have seen him play but he is more of a box to box midfielder than M'Vila,

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Heard a lot about M'vila, not really taken from what I've seen. Still, I've not seen enough of either to say which is better. Wouldn't be displeased with either.

It's almost impossible to compare him to any other player. Some have said Makelele in the past, but he's nothing like that, apart from being French and playing in the same position. He's just got a very weird style of play. You always get the feeling he's uncomfortable on the ball, bit like Momo Sissoko, but unlike Momo, he actually doesn't often lose it when passing around, it's just his style of play. In fact, in addition to being a good ball-winner, he's quite a good passer of the ball.

That said, if we are gonna go the French way, Moussa Sissoko would be the one for me. Most complete young midfielder I've witnessed since Gerrard. Powerful tackler, great dribbling ability and brillant vision, just needs to work on his finishing.

That's understandable. I still feel that we need another central midfielder with a bit more guile and creativity though.

Seems likely we're going to go for McCarthy mate. I think there's still a chance we might try and get Adam on the cheap, but I'm not convinced we'll be in for any of the French players (though Matuidi would seem the most likely if we were, given Comolli's previous comments about him.)

Commoli said something about liking M'Vila because his stats suggest he broke up the most opposition attacks and started attacks for his team.

This fella might be up there in Ligue 1 too.

I think you mean Matuidi not M'Vila

“In France, all the figures prove that the player who wins the most possession at the feet of his opponents is Blaise Matuidi,” Comolli said.

“That is an extraordinary strong point.

"When the team plays high, it means a goal chance.”

Seems likely we're going to go for McCarthy mate. I think there's still a chance we might try and get Adam on the cheap, but I'm not convinced we'll be in for any of the French players (though Matuidi would seem the most likely if we were, given Comolli's previous comments about him.)

What's McCarthy like as a player? More defensive or offensive? Seems like we're trying to buy up all the young talent in British football.