You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

From the Torygraph:

"Eight signings are being targeted, with Bolton's Gary Cahill, Lyon's Dejan Lovren and Newcastle's Jose Enrique the most likely defensive reinforcements, two wingers - Ashley Young, Andre Ayew of Marseille and Sylvain Marveaux of Rennes - a central midfielder, possibly Feyenoord's Georginio Wijnaldum, and a striker are expected to arrive."

Anybody know anything about Lovren, Ayew, or Wijnaldum? Wikipedia details aside, I know nothing about them...

Is that even the point? We're trying to overtake Chelsea, United and Arsenal. We're not going to do it unless we buy better players than them. Maxi has scored as many in three games as Downing has all season. Are you trying to say that he represents a significant enough improvement to overtake Chelsea, United and Arsenal?

I am.

As you know it's not about like-for-like individual ability, it's about functionality within a team unit. We function better than any of those teams down the middle, but we need width on the left as an outlet to get round the back. Downing can do this as he can whip in crosses, and can also work back and defend because he's got real determination and always has.

He was captain of Boro at quite a young age too which says a lot about his character.

Lovren is a CB. Are we going to buy two CB's or does this indicate that we have a short list of the two players mentioned? I've seen highlights of Lyon but not enough with him playing to even form an opinion. I've seen a bit of Ayew and think he is not of the required standard. Wijnaldum no idea.

weren't they asking for 10ml last summer seems a little steep to me.

Demba Ba at west ham would make a good back up,5 goals in 10 games so far

Good player but I think he is injury prone. He failed a medical at Stoke City and 2 medicals at West Ham before the Hammers took a desperate gamble and signed him.

From the Torygraph:

"Eight signings are being targeted, with Bolton's Gary Cahill, Lyon's Dejan Lovren and Newcastle's Jose Enrique the most likely defensive reinforcements, two wingers - Ashley Young, Andre Ayew of Marseille and Sylvain Marveaux of Rennes - a central midfielder, possibly Feyenoord's Georginio Wijnaldum, and a striker are expected to arrive."

Anybody know anything about Lovren, Ayew, or Wijnaldum? Wikipedia details aside, I know nothing about them...

Andre Ayew looked impressive at the World Cup for Ghana and has apparently been nominated for the French Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year award.

Isn't Georginio Wijnaldum a right winger rather than a central midfielder?

I like the left winger at PSV, the polish lad. Jutisausage or something like that! Looks like a good, old fashioned left winger. Him, Young and Marveux would be ideal for the wings.

I do like McCarthy, but not sure where he could fit in, personally I would have him play on the right with the option of using him in the middle. I don't think we need another striker though, Caroll, Kuyt, Pacheco and Suarez is enough, maybe someone like Wikham or Long (cheaper).

I love this, finally a close season we can get excited about, I have forgotten what this feels like, it feels great offering up players that you like, rather than players that are on a free!

I like the left winger at PSV, the polish lad. Jutisausage or something like that! Looks like a good, old fashioned left winger. Him, Young and Marveux would be ideal for the wings.

I do like McCarthy, but not sure where he could fit in, personally I would have him play on the right with the option of using him in the middle. I don't think we need another striker though, Caroll, Kuyt, Pacheco and Suarez is enough, maybe someone like Wikham or Long (cheaper).

I love this, finally a close season we can get excited about, I have forgotten what this feels like, it feels great offering up players that you like, rather than players that are on a free!

Balazs Dzsudzsak is the left winger at PSV Eindhoven. Very good player and he weighs in with quite a few goals as well.

Scott Dann on SSN saying he is flattered by rumours of our interest.

He has forged an excellent career for himself from a poor start & is a nice lad ( He was in my nephew's year at school ) but I don't think he is as good as any of our main 3 centre backs & probably not Kelly either. He has also been out for 4 months with a hammy & we have enough crocks.

I watched Feyenoord about two months ago and Georginio Wijnaldum was the best player on the pitch by some distance. Feyenoord won 5-1 and he was involved in everything they did and I think he scored four. He didn't play right wing, he basically played where ever he wanted and had license to roam.

Granted I only watched him the once, and that hardly qualifies me to make an informed opinion, but he looked a great little player.

just some of the players we have been linked to so far

Charlie Adam

Marc Albrighton

Jeffren Suarez

James McCarthy

Fernando Gago

Javier Pastore

Davide Santon

Christian Ansaldi

Philip Mexes

Ashley Young

Gary Cahill

Leighton Baines

Stuart Downing

Jose Enrique

Conor Wickham

Gael Clichy

Romelu Lukaku

Cameron Park

Oscar Wendt

Matt Jarvis

Diego Perotti

Nicolas Gaitan

Arda Turan

Andre Ayew

Sylvain Marveux

Aly Cissokho

Keisuke Honda

Aaron Lennon

Gareth Bale

Brad Freidel

Nicolas Douchez

Mamadou Sakho

Steven Defour

Dimitri Payet

Jeremy Menez.

Phil Jones.

Joey Barton

Axel Witsel

Nurin Sahin

Ezequiel Lavezzi

Hugo Lloris

plus the new names from todays papers

Marin claims Reds interest | Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News

Werder Bremen star Marko Marin has claimed Liverpool are interested in securing his services for next season.

Marin, who is known as the "German Messi", is regarded as one of the best young players in Europe.

The 22-year-old has been linked with a host of Europe's top clubs after impressing for club and country over the last 18 months.

Marin shone in this season's UEFA Champions Leaguespacer.gif and he has also caught the attention of Tottenham after starring against Harry Redknapp's side in Europe.

Aware

Liverpoolspacer.gif are in the market for attacking reinforcements and talented playmaker Marin fits the bill to the type of exciting young signings that the club's owners Fenway Sports Group want to bring to Anfield.

Marin, who is under contract at Bremen until 2013, claims he is aware of interest from Liverpool, but that he is focusing on life at Bremen.

"Yes, I am aware of it (the interest from Liverpool FCspacer.gif)," Marin told Bild. "However I am just keeping my focus on Werder Bremen.spacer.gif

"We had a very difficult time this season and it was a struggle, of course, I still like being at Werder Bremen. I suppose we are out to play a better campaign next term."

Good little player. Got a running style that's almost a carbon copy of Lionel Messi. Again, though; I don't reckon it'll happen.

Agreed. He might be a bit too lightweight for the Prem, but his runs with the ball are probably the best in the Bundesliga (with Robbens). Always rated him higher than Özil at Bremen.

It is just speculation, but £10million-odd is very good value for a player of his ability and experience. Young German internationals seem to represent the best value in the transfer market at present, judging by how much the likes of Özil, Khedira and Şahin cost.

Balazs Dzsudzsak is the left winger at PSV Eindhoven. Very good player and he weighs in with quite a few goals as well.

That is him, yes I have watched a little bit of Dutch football and he looks good. I believe that we have looked at him, but I am pretty sure that he has just recently signed a new long term contract.

Agreed. He might be a bit too lightweight for the Prem, but his runs with the ball are probably the best in the Bundesliga (with Robbens). Always rated him higher than Özil at Bremen.

I think we have to get away from this mindset, Luca Modric plays centre midfield and he doesn't look out of place, if they are skillfull enough then that skill will compensate for lack of physical strength. I don't think you can have a team of lightweights, but one player like Marin, Modric or Navas (for arguments sake) will improve the team, in my opinion anyways.