You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My view on what the last few days means

JohnnyH

This is a good start. All in all I believe our new owners have spent the princely sum of around £3m. However, with further stories coming out that we may have in fact “only” paid Newcastle £30m for Carroll, there is now a chance that we have, for the fifth transfer window in a row, actually made a profit in our dealings. Oh but how different this (possible) profit is. Our former Number 9 declared almost as late as was possible in the transfer window that he wanted to leave. Whereas in the past this would have meant another £50m disappearing into debt repayment or to cover travel costs of our former owners; the new Americans gave the nod to Kenny and Comolli to get spending and ensure the Torres departure didn’t affect us too much. Well. Arguably we now leave the transfer window even stronger then how we entered it. We have got rid of someone who clearly wanted out 18 months ago, and replaced him with two hungry players.

In Suarez we have got a player who has the typical South American abilities of skill, deft touch, thunderbolt shot, and definite levels of madness. However, one other thing he has which I feel will be of even greater benefit to us is a footballing brain. He has a wonderful goal scoring record, but also a fantastic assist record. Basically, he looks up and doesn’t just run into corners.

In Carroll we are getting raw talent. Yes, he is overpriced, but if it works out then the price doesn’t matter as you are buying a commodity and if it works for you then money doesn’t matter. You pay what you feel you need so the price is right, regardless of what you pay. One thing though is we are going to have to watch the lad closely. He seems to attract trouble so this has to be monitored carefully. But on the field he is big and strong and heads a ball very wall as well as having a belter of a left peg. If we can get the right balls into him, then there could be no stopping him.

The two together will have the feeling of Keegan and Toshack about them and you can be sure the TV backroom editors are already starting the work on that. These players are also going to result in a long term shift away from the style we have played over the last 15 years. It reminds me very much of the 1987 purchase of John Aldridge. When Dalglish signed Aldridge he told him to be patient as in the summer he was going to make signings to compliment his style of play. What followed was Barnes, Beardsley and a little later Houghton and the most fluent Liverpool team we have ever seen. Suarez and Carroll have that Beardsley, Aldridge feel of them; but the key is the John Barnes player. In the summer I expect to see a major move to bring in that type of a player. Someone to get down the line and pepper the box with crosses for Carroll, while also allowing for the move from the middle in Suarez to play and create space while scoring his fair share. Ashley Young in an obvious candidate, but moves for Hazard could also happen.

The major aspect of this window though is that there is going to be a pretty seismic shift in play pattern which makes me think that the owners have decided to give Dalglish the job long term and allow him to create a team.

I actually don’t really care that Torres is gone. I did when he handed in his transfer request. I was bloody angry. But the replacements have given me such hope for the future that I don’t miss him at all. I think he’ll go to Chelsea and find his form and do really well for them, and so be it. He would have moped here and been the same as he has for the last 18 months so to get £50m was a good bit of business for us. He's gone, and I'm over it. No doubt we still have a long way to go and the weaknesses at the back and in our midfield have not been addressed yet so lots of work is needed. But the work has started, and started well. Hopefully the last of the negative attitudes has been moved on and now all players are pulling towards one goal, with the King at the very front leading us forward.

Agreed.

Had anyone told me a week ago that Torres would sign for chelsea, I would have been devastated. But the fact was as soon as he handed in the transfer request I wanted him gone, and now he is just another player.

I liked the way we held firm on the £50m, and acted quickly when it became apparant that FT was off. Although Carroll was overpriced, we showed determination and intent by making sure it went through.

We are a better team today, than we were 2 days ago, as the Torres who has turned up for us the last year or so, is nowhere near worth £50m.

While we may have a set of forwards very close to being able to play that way. Our defence and midfield is a long way from being able to support it. There is still a lot of rebuilding to do and it's going to take a bit more than Ashely Young to get back on track.

We're essentially looking to go from possession based football to a quick transition game a la Manure. Look at how they do it and you can already see where we fall down. Most of our defenders play best with a two man screen and too many key players like Lucas / Maxi / Kuyt are not suited to rapid transitions.

Having read your posts since ive been here this time around, I for one, do not believe you thought all that up by yourself, and as such, have stolen certain items and glued them together to make this wonderful post.

Totally agree with what you say though, just a shame I dont have the ability to give you any credit/rep.

Apologies, but great post.

Having read your posts since ive been here this time around, I for one, do not believe you thought all that up by yourself, and as such, have stolen certain items and glued them together to make this wonderful post.

Totally agree with what you say though, just a shame I dont have the ability to give you any credit/rep.

Apologies, but great post.

While we may have a set of forwards very close to being able to play that way. Our defence and midfield is a long way from being able to support it. There is still a lot of rebuilding to do and it's going to take a bit more than Ashely Young to get back on track.

We're essentially looking to go from possession based football to a quick transition game a la Manure. Look at how they do it and you can already see where we fall down. Most of our defenders play best with a two man screen and too many key players like Lucas / Maxi / Kuyt are not suited to rapid transitions.

I think you're right to an extent, particularly re the defence, but the change may bring out the best in Gerrard and Maxi is certainly able to play a 'rapid transition' game, even without lightning pace. We do need a left back, at least one CB, and a wide midfielder with with stamina, technique and pace, but the key for me is an experienced and strong defensive-minded midfielder with good distribution. I would also be disappointed if our possession stats deteriorated.

All in all, I am optimistic and a little excited by the potential for us to be playing a more overtly aggressive and attacking style of football. It's been pretty miserable to watch for a long time now.

I think you're right to an extent, particularly re the defence, but the change may bring out the best in Gerrard and Maxi is certainly able to play a 'rapid transition' game, even without lightning pace. We do need a left back, at least one CB, and a wide midfielder with with stamina, technique and pace, but the key for me is an experienced and strong defensive-minded midfielder with good distribution. I would also be disappointed if our possession stats deteriorated.

All in all, I am optimistic and a little excited by the potential for us to be playing a more overtly aggressive and attacking style of football. It's been pretty miserable to watch for a long time now.

Don't get me wrong Maxi et al could all do well in that setup but it's not their natural game. They all want to play triangles to move the opposition around, beat players with a 1-2, but when it comes to all the 1 on 1s you get in a transition based game they are not going to excel IMO. And pace is only 1/2 that issue.

I'm less optimistic than you on the defence. For me only Agger is good enough to play that way for the next 2-3 years but could you build your defence around him? Kelly may well work out, may not. We don't actually have a LB. Carragher and Soto are entering the twilight of their careers and neither can defend high and 1 on 1 as you'd have to in this type of game even with a good defensive midfielder.

And yes Gerrard should do well. The team is being built around him. He gets his free role and it's in CM instead of back to goal. He has no excuse not to excel now.

Optimistic? Less so than most. Realistic. More so than most. We just need to realize we are more than a Johnny Barnes away from the top again. Balance is as if not more important than quality and we are a long way from that. Capello reckons when you do a rebuilding project, that you can at most absorb 2 major changes a year. If that's the case we're more than a couple of years away.

On the bright side the two most difficult positions to fill in english football are a left sided attacking threat and a center-forward. Look how many years Spurs tried to get something going for their left. The fact FSG just did whatever it took to make a good stab at solving it is encouraging.

Not at all, but to be fair, its not like him to be so astute, or post such reality :)

I'm not like those plonkers that post good stuff all the time. I lull you into a false sense of security by posting shite most the time, and then BAM, out comes the good stuff. Now I will go back to posting shite. Like a superhero that falls back into the night......

OR

What Captain said.

The point about Aldo being signed and then the delay before getting him the people to supply the ammunition strikes me as spot on. That's what's struck me these past two days. Kenny knows strikers and he knows what they need. He'll be well aware of who else needs to come in. I admit I feared disappointment when he was made manager, delighted though I also was, but he's been superb. He's matured, he really has, and he's surrounded himself with a shrewd team of advisors.

I'm not like those plonkers that post good stuff all the time. I lull you into a false sense of security by posting shite most the time, and then BAM, out comes the good stuff. Now I will go back to posting shite. Like a superhero that falls back into the night......

OR

What Captain said.

Sadly, you and Captain, seem to have negated the fact I said

"Totally agree with what you say though, just a shame I dont have the ability to give you any credit/rep.

Apologies, but great post."