You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

I had my doubts about Torres as a man before the World Cup. I am not sure if the posters were around the Europe but here in Bangkok they had a list of players splashed all over posters. The adds were for Pepsi and it was footballers with their tops off and faces painted a bit. They were all doing these stupid poses. The list of the players were: Ballack, Henry, Lampard, Torres, Drogba, Kaka and Messi. I knew he was sell out then as he looked pathetic in the add. Incidentally none of them had a great World Cup.

I had my doubts about Torres as a man before the World Cup. I am not sure if the posters were around the Europe but here in Bangkok they had a list of players splashed all over posters. The adds were for Pepsi and it was footballers with their tops off and faces painted a bit. They were all doing these stupid poses. The list of the players were: Ballack, Henry, Lampard, Torres, Drogba, Kaka and Messi. I knew he was sell out then as he looked pathetic in the add. Incidentally none of them had a great World Cup.

Superb.

Guest davelfc
IF true, Then not only is he a shithouse but he is also a coward.

What if the club have told him not to turn up, what if the club have entered into talks with chavski?

I think we need to step back and wait before sharpening the pitchforks.

Article from Guillem Balague

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?titulo=On Fernando Torres&id=546

Soon we will know if Torres is staying or going. Today he will face his team mates for the first time after he handed in that transfer request. He has been calm and expectant after he took such a huge decisions, conscious of the consequences. Believe me if I say that his agents aren´t doing anything that he doesn’t want them to do (no, he has not parted company with them, despite internet rumours to the contrary that surfaced last night).

I believe Chris Bascombe when he says that Liverpool are willing to listen to a new offer from Chelsea because I was told that in the last 24 hours both clubs have been in touch. That suggests that Liverpool realise that Torres has taken this step because it is clear he wants to leave and there is not much point in keeping someone, no matter how important, if he is not happy. The striker did not lift a finger in the summer after receiving huge offers from City and Chelsea because he was told it was decisive for the selling of the club that he stayed. He was not the only important player that could have left stayed to help the club.

But on this occasion and thinking perhaps that the wagon of Chelsea, who is showing their ambition by trying to sign him, will not pass again, Torres had to take a decision as Liverpool, who are certainly progressing but not at the pace he would like, were not willing to listen to new offers after the first one.

I had a fascinating discussion on the radio with Ian St John, someone I respect a lot. Some people have invented a story that on the radio I talked about when the transfer request was presented to Liverpool (we didn’t get into that at all). But it was an interesting exchange as Ian argued that players have got too much power while I reasoned they have earned that power because, after all they are the stars of this business. However, I also understand the idea that clubs, as Ian said, should be above players, that it is the clubs that carry the feelings, history and the name and players shouldn´t be above them.

If Anelka agreed to come now but then leave again at the end of the season, fine, but he'll only come for a proper contract and big wages, won't he? And when Fenway say they want to lower the average age of the team and the squad, and look more carefully at the wage scale, will it make sense to have someone like Anelka sign when, presumably, we'll be looking to buy a much younger top class striker in the summer? We'll need goals this season, yes, and a player who doesn't need to settle, but this still seems a very costly short-term solution. I don't pretend to know what the alternative is, which is why it's so frustrating.

IF true, Then not only is he a shithouse but he is also a coward.

Wouldn't surprise me, he's been in Spain for a few days hasn't he? This has all probably been timed so he doesn't have to go back and forces through a deal leaving us little room to negotiate.

If I got the impression that he'd put in a decent stint for us over the remainder of the season then I'd be tempted to keep him to the summer and then arrange a transfer off the back of any bids.

We've just got a bit unity finally at the club and he could be a hugely disruptive influence. Given the way us supporters have reacted you can imagine how several members of the squad will react. Are we going to have our most valuable asset training alone and playing in the reserves?

Bottom line is once it becomes known that a player openly wants away his value drops. We're going to sell him anyway. Equally if the player has decided that he's only prepared to go to one club you can get all the bids you like but the player doesn't have to accept any of them.

Additionally we're assuming that these huge megabids will arrive in the summer. The UEFA fair play rules start to bite in the summer so we might not even get those huge bids.

Play hardball now and take £50 million if offered.

Guess its on then.

£40 million plus Anelka....

No doubt the Chvas will try and shaft us.

Make that £50m plus Anelka (how old's he now, 32?) and we've got somewhere to start the negotiations from. In a perfect world I wouldn't want Anelka back but with only having new signing Suarez and Ngog on the books, at least Anelka would bring some Premier League experience with him while we heal the wounds for the rest of the season.

Edited by rargh

Just use the cash to get Augero and some proper wingers, a left back and a replace ment for Skrtel. Yes I was proper hurt when the story broke. But after losing so much talent in the last 2 yrs I've become quite numb to it now.

Aguero will cost a bomb IF athletico would even sell him so there's no chance we'd get wingers, a full back and centre half out that money.