You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I actually have mixed feelings about this one.

One one side, can see where the people putting 2 and 2 together about Jamie are coming from. In my opinion there are question marks.

On the other side, I see people just pulling random shit out of their arse and making a grand conspiracy of epic proportions out of it. Then I see people going "Carras a cunt, get him out" and I just want to put my head through a wall at the Stupidity of it.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I worry about him being a stalwart in the team for another 3 or 4 years because in my opinion he has been on the decline for a year or so now and is slowly getting worse. I think hes still capable of being the rock of our backline for another year or two and he should rightly continue.

I think there are some people bitter about Rafa definently pursuing an agenda. But not all are. To suggest everyone questioning his ability are bitter is wrong.

As for people questioning his motives and actions off the pitch I think they are onto a loser. Like I say there are question marks but there is no proof of anything.

There is a simple law, innocent until proven guilty.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really buy into that but then John W Henry did recently say:

As one insightful player told me, “The spirit of the side needs to be there like a family – as one.”

Says to me we are not one and players think its enough of an issue to raise it with the owner....

Exactly. My guess is Reina said it, as he was one of the few players to meeet with Henry.

Jamie deserve better than this.

"The club is bigger than the individual" - Bob Paisley

I am a Liverpool fan. Have been 36 years. Jamie Carragher alone is not my representative on the pitch. Nor has any one player ever been.

If we're going to judge Jamie as our "fan on the pitch", then we're always going to be engaging in unhelpful, unproductive, irrelevant arguments. Fans are in the stands, not on the pitch.

He is a player in a desperately struggling team, not an individual deserving of special consideration. Unless of course, Paisley's words no longer apply.

The sooner we stop seeing Jamie as some sort of local political figure, the better.

No offence. Just the opinion of a fan.

Read his book, it was obvious he hated Rafa as a person but seemed professional enough never to let that get in the way of things. I think he may have had an influence just like other senior players but to be accused as instrumental in Rafa's removal is ridiculous, there were a number of factors involved much more important than the opinion of Carragher...well that's what I think anyway.

He's a Liverpool legend and should be treated that way, so he called a fan or two pricks. I'd love to know word for word what they actually said to him. People often think they can say whatever they want behind the safety of an advertising barrier, it's a little like the internet where gobshites wouldn't dare say shit to you in the real world.

His career is coming to an end and in a perfect world he'd be getting used a lot less and would probably benefit hugely from that, as it stands he has to play every week. He deserves respect, he's more an earned it.

Definitely deserves respect for what he did on the pitch. As for the advertising barrier, there are alot of players I would not look forward to squaring up to, Carra is not one. He has gotten the most out of what he was given and done the club well, leave it at that.

The manager should always be backed, trouble is in this case the man in the job isn't up to it. But the position, irrespective of who comes and goes from it, has to remain sacrosant.

And that's where Rafa does come into it.

It's an open secret (not even a secret really) that Carragher wanted Benitez out. If he didn't he'd have come out and said so, because he's not soft, he'll have known the story has circulated for ages. If Bascombe, Dave or someone who knows Carra want to come on and say this wasn't the case, then I stand corrected. But, otherwise, he can't come out and claim to be backing Hodgson 'because you always back the manager'. So why is he backing him?

So if you're Pepe Reina (regardless of what you think about Rafa, Reina loved him and said so again the other day) and you hear Carragher constantly backing this clown (Hodgson) up, but know he'd have been feeding stories to journos (Bascombe) regarding the last manager, then is that good for team spirit?

The spirit in the team is awful, and you have to wonder why?

Guest ShoePiss
Definitely deserves respect for what he did on the pitch. As for the advertising barrier, there are alot of players I would not look forward to squaring up to, Carra is not one. He has gotten the most out of what he was given and done the club well, leave it at that.

Well my point had nothing to do with whether Carra can handle himself, it was that some fans believe they can say what they want to players without any response and if one reciprocates they get all offended.

Unless I get to know what was actually said to him he's got the benefit of the doubt, I think that's fair.

Great post, Ant.

There are ALWAYS people who cannot wait to have a go at Carra for anything bad he does (even if he doesn't do something bad). It's alright for someone to have a go if there is a valid reason, but the same people consistently want to bollock him at any possible chance they can.

And quite simply they can get to fuck.

I have to say, if he's the bully some appear to be accusing him of being, then he seems to be a singularly unsuccessful one. Lucas angrily brushed off his suggestion that he should get up, and when he shouted at Torres earlier in the season he was met with a 'keep quiet' gesture. Hardly quaking in their boots. Could it not just be that players have the odd run in on the pitch when things are not going as well as they'd like. It's hardly Bellamy/Riise, or Bowyer/Dyer, or Grobbelaar/McManaman.

Well my point had nothing to do with whether Carra can handle himself, it was that some fans believe they can say what they want to players without any response and if one reciprocates they get all offended.

Unless I get to know what was actually said to him he's got the benefit of the doubt, I think that's fair.

OK, is fair.

I would say - if you pay your way, you've got some say.

I have to say, if he's the bully some appear to be accusing him of being, then he seems to be a singularly unsuccessful one. Lucas angrily brushed off his suggestion that he should get up, and when he shouted at Torres earlier in the season he was met with a 'keep quiet' gesture. Hardly quaking in their boots. Could it not just be that players have the odd run in on the pitch when things are not going as well as they'd like. It's hardly Bellamy/Riise, or Bowyer/Dyer, or Grobbelaar/McManaman.

Exactly, anyone whos played footy even at an amateur level would know that. If the team isn't doing well players will argue and moan. Its natural.

Guest ShoePiss
OK, is fair.

I would say - if you pay your way, you've got some say.

You pay for a ticket to watch the match, you're not paying to abuse people and the ticket doesn't give you license to do that.

TBH I heard it was pretty routine for Carragher to tell fans who give him stick to "fuck off". Can't believe most of us wouldn't do the same. Its all just part of who he is. But its a big deal in this particular instance because? The Hoofing? Undermining Benitez? Support for Hodgson? All of the above?

Guest TesticleOReilly
I'm a big fan of retaliation, taking the moral high ground is for self righteous smug wankers.

I'd neg you, but I'm going to be the bigger man and rise above it.

You pay for a ticket to watch the match, you're not paying to abuse people and the ticket doesn't give you license to do that.

Again, fair for you to have that opinion - not only was he not abused, but anything that happened there is far from abuse. Even if less than friendly banter was exchanged, why do you care? Have you ever been to a match? What has been suggested is the least of the offensive shit going on.

firstly, a lot of conjecture here from both sides, who actually knows, unless someone here ACTUALLY KNOWS ? Then reveal it and yourself.

Carragher has never been World Class, Top Class yes.

Plenty of local lads have been fine servants of this club but when their time was up sentiment usually did not play a part. Carragher is both lucky and unlucky at the moment, lucky we are a poor side as he is getting games, but unlucky because he probably won't get into it soon.

Guest ShoePiss
Again, fair for you to have that opinion - not only was he not abused, but anything that happened there is far from abuse. Even if less than friendly banter was exchanged, why do you care? Have you ever been to a match? What has been suggested is the least of the offensive shit going on.

Enlighten me, what exactly was said to him? I've already said I don't know the exact details but I've gathered he received a bit of shit and responded in kind. Fair game that.

Why do I care? I don't understand that question and yes I've been to a match.

Also if this conversation is going to continue it would be better if you actually responded to what I'm saying rather coming back with shite like you're not scared of Carra or have I been to a match.

firstly, a lot of conjecture here from both sides, who actually knows, unless someone here ACTUALLY KNOWS ? Then reveal it and yourself.

Carragher has never been World Class, Top Class yes.

Plenty of local lads have been fine servants of this club but when their time was up sentiment usually did not play a part. Carragher is both lucky and unlucky at the moment, lucky we are a poor side as he is getting games, but unlucky because he probably won't get into it soon.

He most certainly was world class for a couple of seasons. No Jamie Carragher, no fifth European Cup.

Also, I find the whole Carra/Benitez friction thing a bit odd. As men completely obsessed with football, they were peas from the same pod and enjoyed a very mutually beneficial relationship.

Bar a few great peformances, he's been in terminal decline since the start of last season, but that's a completely different issue.

Enlighten me, what exactly was said to him? I've already said I don't know the exact details but I've gathered he received a bit of shit and responded in kind. Fair game that.

Why do I care? I don't understand that question and yes I've been to a match.

As was alluded to, I have no idea what was said - I can be pretty fuckin sure he wasn't hit by a battery or listened monkey sounds though right? Probably no one singin about disaster, of course this is just a guess. After all, these were his fans, and I totally agree, fair game. I responded to your outlines for etiquette when at the match.