You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Defour

Malarkey

We have bid for Mbokani. Anyone know if he's any good?

Hope we are actually interested in Defour as well. Hodgson seems to just be going for the same players he was interested in at Fulham. Not sure that this is the right approach, to be honest.

Hope we are actually interested in Defour as well. Hodgson seems to just be going for the same players he was interested in at Fulham. Not sure that this is the right approach, to be honest.

From what I recall, he's quite fast, big, and good on the ball but his finishing isn't clinical.

From what I recall, he's quite fast, big, and good on the ball but his finishing isn't clinical.

Just been watching youtube clips and that assessment would seem to be spot on. He looks like a pacier Didier Drogba.... who can't finish. Hope we don't get him based on that.

he wants class players wheter it be fulham or liverpool, either way u can be assured he's working for liverpool now and our interests....

Does anyone here rate Defour above Banega?

I just think its crazy we should go for Defour when Banega is available for about the same.

I'd guess Banega has more talent. But I doubt very much if Banega could be got for the same money. (He signed for Valencia for 18m euro (£15m ish?) so I'm sure they'd intend on making that make at least.

He was also a tearaway until last season. Out partying every night, caught wanking on a webcam. (Soccerway link)

Apparently he's a changed man now, but you could see why there could be doubts about his character.

I'd guess Banega has more talent. But I doubt very much if Banega could be got for the same money. (He signed for Valencia for 18m euro (£15m ish?) so I'm sure they'd intend on making that make at least.

He was also a tearaway until last season. Out partying every night, caught wanking on a webcam. (Soccerway link)

Apparently he's a changed man now, but you could see why there could be doubts about his character.

Yeah I heard about his wanking online. Heard he had big willy too.

Still with Mascherano money we have to buy a player that can makes us play. I think we are missing this player and I dont think Defour can do it.

Im not really sure about him,I'm not convinced he is the player we should replace Masch with if he goes, he is a young player with experience and could defiantly grow into a Gerrard type of player in the future but cant see that until Gerrard eventually goes to play the holding mid role in a few years.

Would be a good signing for the future, but i cant see him comfortably playing the Masch role or Alonso role, seems the wrong type of signing, we need a truly defensive minded player rather than a jack of all trades, obviously they need to be able to play a bit, but we need a players who can do a specific job.

I suppose it all depends on how Roy sets his team up, I think im still in the Rafa way of thinking.

As for that Poulsen, he looks a like Masch without the good qualities, or an accident waiting to happen.

I'd like to see that letter from Fergie.

A scrawled mess written in a drunken stupour. God knows what the gin soaked old fool wrote.

Here it is:

"Dear Steven, I have just heard about your injury and, in the name of Manchester United, I would like to wish you a full and speedy recovery," Ferguson wrote. "I am sure at the moment you must be feeling awful and that you'll have all kinds of questions. Steven, these are natural worries but I have to tell you that modern medicine and treatments are incredible; you have to have confidence in them. Don't worry, everything will work out. You will have to work hard to come back and I am going to follow your performances. I will remain in contact with Standard."

Someone on here had a funny take on it. Something like "Dear Steven, I know your body is going through many changes right now, and that you'll have all kinds of questions. Steven, these are natural worries" etc.

Made me laugh anyway.

Im not really sure about him,I'm not convinced he is the player we should replace Masch with if he goes, he is a young player with experience and could defiantly grow into a Gerrard type of player in the future but cant see that until Gerrard eventually goes to play the holding mid role in a few years.

Would be a good signing for the future, but i cant see him comfortably playing the Masch role or Alonso role, seems the wrong type of signing, we need a truly defensive minded player rather than a jack of all trades, obviously they need to be able to play a bit, but we need a players who can do a specific job.

I suppose it all depends on how Roy sets his team up, I think im still in the Rafa way of thinking.

As for that Poulsen, he looks a like Masch without the good qualities, or an accident waiting to happen.

I think Masch is vastly overated and a better footballer such as Defour or Banega (or both, affordable with Masch money) would improve the side. Masch makes eyecatching tackles every now and again but Lucas makes more tackles. And Lucas can pass the ball when we have got it.

Take the money and move on

I think Masch is vastly overated and a better footballer such as Defour or Banega (or both, affordable with Masch money) would improve the side. Masch makes eyecatching tackles every now and again but Lucas makes more tackles. And Lucas can pass the ball when we have got it.

The fact that you're comparing lucas with masch just throws your arguement right out of the window.

Im not really talking about the quality of the player (Defour) but the type of player he is, and what we need. We dont have an out and out defensive player, and im not having that Lucas can do that job because i don't believe that, as backup ok, but not in the starting 11.

People talking down Mascherano will miss him when he's gone. He's the best in the world at what he does, and all top teams play with a player like him. Sadly, he doesn't want to be here anymore. Nothing to do about that.

Agreed. I think Fiorentina away is a good example of how much of a loss Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano will be.