You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

But not of sufficient quality to finish higher than 7th. Take Gerrard & Torres out and that could quite easily go to 10 or 12th.

It is precisely because of financial strength and the lack of it under the scenario you depict which would prevent this scenario from playing out for the reasons i gave. The numbers don't add up.

Which is why their desire for money should help make the sale a reality. Sell now and earn a little or asset strip and lose a shit load later.

I think there is a very broad perception among those following Liverpool FC, me included, that finishing 7th last year was a case of tremendous underperforming. As I said before, even without Gerrard and Torres, LFC sent 12 players to the World Cup.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a very broad perception among those following Liverpool FC, me included, that finishing 7th last year was a case of tremendous underperforming. As I said before, even without Gerrard and Torres, LFC sent 12 players to the World Cup.

I guess that perspective will only become apparent when judged against how many other players other teams sent. I don't know the answer to that, nor do I believe it is a defining factor in how well they do in the Premiership. Afterall teams that had Kaka, Ronaldo, Rooney, Gerrard and Henry in all went out of that competition very early in the process.

I guess that perspective will only become apparent when judged against how many other players other teams sent. I don't know the answer to that, nor do I believe it is a defining factor in how well they do in the Premiership. Afterall teams that had Kaka, Ronaldo, Rooney, Gerrard and Henry in all went out of that competition very early in the process.

14 was the highest of all Premiership sides. I believe number two took 11.

We massively underperformed last season, all things considered.

Who have I missed?

And even if we had 12 players at the WC that does not mean we have good material to set up a good team.

Lets take a look.

Reina - world class

Carragher - slow and not getting younger.

Skrtel - cant head the ball, gives away silly free kicks everywhere, not the smartest.

Agger - injury prone, could be close to world class if he stayed fit.

Kyrigiakos - slow and easily turned, not getting younger and not really that good.

Johnson - cant defend.

Thats 4 CB`s, we usually only use two of them and only one of them really commands the area and he should be 4th choice.

Gerrard - world class box to box player.

Mascherano - great player in a very specific and limited role

Maxi - no pace.

Babel - no brain.

Kuyt - slow, no touch, no skill

Torres - world class, injury prone

So you either:

1. Know something we don't. ITK.

2. Think that the temporary chairman of the club (Liverpool Football Club that is) sat there in a press conference last week, next to the newly appointed manager and told a complete and utter pack of lies in front of the national press in order to facilitate the club being stripped down to nothing.

You need to back up your extreme comments because you seem to be very certain.

Just a point. Hodgson works for the owners. Broughton works for the owners, as was demonstrated when they used their apparently non-existent veto. Both will do what they're told, or leave - those are the only two options. Since Broughton is still here, it's a reasonable assumption that he's doing what he's told.

Who have I missed?

And even if we had 12 players at the WC that does not mean we have good material to set up a good team.

Lets take a look.

Reina - world class

Skrtel - cant head the ball, gives away silly free kicks everywhere, not the smartest.

Kyrigiakos - slow and easily turned, not getting younger and not really that good.

Johnson - cant defend.

Thats 4 CB`s, we usually only use two of them and only one of them really commands the area and he should be 4th choice.

Maxi - no pace.

Babel - no brain.

Next from Code 72: warm weather - bringer of death and: Christmas - Time of Satan.

Who have I missed?

Lets take a look.

Reina - world class

Johnson - cant defend.

Maxi - no pace.

Babel - no brain.

I haven't made the list myself, I was going by an article on .tv from before the World Cup. There is a small chance I remember it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what Evans.

"Moves are underway to "extricate with dignity" both players [sG & FT] from the club"

Well fuck you sunshine. Take your snivelling, sensationalist, unfounded little whinges back to talkshite radio and save them for the likes of Alan Brazil.

Guess what Evans.

"Moves are underway to "extricate with dignity" both players [sG & FT] from the club"

Well fuck you sunshine. Take your snivelling, sensationalist, unfounded little whinges back to talkshite radio and save them for the likes of Alan Brazil.

No chance that maybe something has changed since then, and at the time of writing that was what was going to happen, but not anymore? Maybe a move on the ownership? Funds released to back the manager from the bank while the club is being sold?

Personally I'd cut the man some slack. I don't think he was consciously trying to cause controversy. He's a fan who let his understandable feelings of gloom and pessimism get the better of him while speaking as a journalist. It isn't THAT different from what people do on here. One can certainly claim he shouldn't have said those things - that was my view - but he wasn't knowingly up to mischief.

Personally I'd cut the man some slack. I don't think he was consciously trying to cause controversy. He's a fan who let his understandable feelings of gloom and pessimism get the better of him while speaking as a journalist. It isn't THAT different from what people do on here. One can certainly claim he shouldn't have said those things - that was my view - but he wasn't knowingly up to mischief.

Think this sums it up perfectly.

It's been an extremely difficult twelve months for us as fans, and I think we've all said things at times that we've regretted, mostly by the heart ruling the head. This is no different, really.

I think there is a fair bit of an over reaction to what Tony said on TalkSport.

Tony is a fan who i believe liked Rafa and like many of us who rate the ex manager was gutted to see him leave.

If you were to have asked Tony Barrett the same question a few weeks ago im sure he would have more or less the same as Tony Evans as this was apparent on the webhost they both did.

If TalkSport had asked me at the time what i thought of the situation at the club i would have probably said the exact same thing as what Tony did in that star players will leave and i don't rate Hodgson.

Fast forward on a few weeks and Hodgson has impressed me and Gerrard as pledged his future to the club whilst we have signed Joe Cole.

Before we start getting carried away though we have yet to play a single game, neither Torres or Mascherano have pledged their futures to the club, we have yet to spend anything of any note and Gillett and Hicks are still the owners of the club.

We are riding the crest of a wave at the moment over the signing of Joe Cole plus Gerrard staying but we could quite easily be brought crashing down by Torres and Mascherano leaving and little of that money going back into the playing staff.

Think this sums it up perfectly.

It's been an extremely difficult twelve months for us as fans, and I think we've all said things at times that we've regretted, mostly by the heart ruling the head. This is no different, really.

I hear what you're saying, Mr Woo, but I would argue that the professional and ethical standards required from the sports editor of the Times should be rather higher than those of us amateur supporters writing on an internet forum? Surely there is a different standard of accuracy and objectivity required?

Edit - Coop as always talks sense, but Tony Evans didn't just say that he thought players would leave - he wrote in the Times that moves were underfoot AND it was felt that we would be forced to sell these players at rock-bottom prices. Simply not true IF what Madrid are saying about being quoted 70m euros for Gerrard has even a semblance of truth?

Edited by Royal Family

I hear what you're saying, Mr Woo, but I would argue that the professional and ethical standards required from the sports editor of the Times should be rather higher than those of us amateur supporters writing on an internet forum? Surely there is a different standard of accuracy and objectivity required?

I agree with that. But he was probably working with the information he had at the time rather that it being his specific opinion. The source of the info shared in that tweet is the concern in my view.

"..extricate with dignity.." What's that all about..

There's potential for St John Syndrome there; ultra supportive one minute, ultra negative the next, depending on the manager's identity.

But then we are feeling a little upbeat of late, bathed as we are in a little Croydon sunshine!

Still waiting on Torres, don't forget. Mascherano can fuck off.

Maybe all that's changed is that Mourinho's decided he prefers Ozil.

Who really knows what's going on behind the scenes?

On balance I prefer a journalist who is ready to warn us of what he thinks the owners might be planning (even if he turns out to be wrong) than one who is less vigilant.

QUOTE]

Agreed!!

To be honest I cant stand listening to this fella on Talk Sport, his droning voice does my head in as he drags his words out to sound more scouse when he is talking about Liverpool. Also a lot of what he says is based on his own personal opinions and not fact I am getting sick and tired of reading Sports Journalists (All Journalists for that matter) personal views and opinions on subjects. Tell us facts then I will make my own judgement on Football thats why I watch the game to form my own opinion and discuss with my mates I go the match with not have some fuckin journo tell me who they think should be playing etc etc.

sorry rant over!

It seems like agenda driven bollox to me.

The day after Gerrard came out and give a good clear indication hes staying.

The man then writes that moves are happening to make him and Torres leave with dignity type shit.

It seems to me hes trying to cover his ass cause he said they were both definently going. Now he can just say the owners were trying to push them out but couldnt.

I dont know what Tony Evans is like but this does sound like shit. If Barrett says something like "They're being pushed out"

I'd take notice.

I've never listened to Talksport as i don't want ear or brain aids but i should imagine it's the radio equivalent of the S*n.

If so, shouldn't you expect everything on it to be either lies or suppositions based on lies?

Or am i being unduly harsh?