You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who's this fucking idiot then? I'm not as 'up' on my journos as many are on here but I had the misfortune to listen to this prat this afto on Hawksbee & Jacobs.

He basically said Torres is off, probably to Chelsea, and for way under the asking price "because Liverpool are so desperate for the money" and that Stevie is definitely off to Real, not a great surprise if it does happen admittedly, but the reason Evans gave was along the lines of "if he doesn't go now he'll spend the rest of his career knocking the ball about in midfield to players who are getting increasingly worse than him because Liverpool are in terminal decline."

He was introduced as a Liverpool supporter. Sounds like an utter prick to me. Which scummy piece of shit does he write for?

And before the doom & gloom merchants jump on this can we remember that the club is up for sale, the procedure is in place for that to happen and that there are interested parties. I'm so sick of this pessimism from Liverpool supporters. The media are doing a fine enough job of deconstructing anything positive about the club without wankers like Evans jumping on board.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Evans is the sports editor of the Times.

He was on TalkSport last Thursday evening as well and was all doom and gloom saying that there would be a mass exodus of all the top players.

He did get a 'thanks' though from Paul Rice yesterday.

He is actually one of if not the best LFC journo out there, and if he is saying that then I would be really worried.

He used to be the Echo's LFC writer before he went to the times, he is also very good friends with SG.

Watch this space!

He is actually one of if not the best LFC journo out there, and if he is saying that then I would be really worried.

He used to be the Echo's LFC writer before he went to the times, he is also very good friends with SG.

Watch this space!

I was thinking about Tony Barret not Tony Evans, so wouldn't be as worried.

Its not pessimistic and I'm not supporting Tony Evans or anyone here. Some people just understand the current situation - and yes, it is called "doom and gloom".

We have around £350m worth of debt for which we pay in excess of £30m interest. And at least for this year, it will be without Champions League income.

If that is not "doom and gloom" I don't know what is. Even if Gerrard and Torres say publicly they are both staying, I bet Hicks and Gillett get very disappointed with that. That is how bad our situation is right now.

I don't need a Tony Evans to tell me that to be honest.

He's Tony Barrett's boss.

He obviously doesn't understand that we're supposed to be thinking nice things again and should be cutting everybody at the club a bit of slack now rather than ask difficult questions about what is going on.

Ahhh modern day LFC. We have Broughton towing the official line of "We don't need to sell players to alleviate debts, Gerrard and Torres are here, we don't want to nor do we need to sell them".

Now we have Journo's on the radio saying the club are so desperate they'll bite anyone's hand off for any money going for any players, especially Torres. All I'll say is this, if Torres does go for a cut price, Purslow, Broughton, Hicks and Gillet may want to invest some of their stolen money in very good security systems. I wouldn't turn up anywhere near Liverpool if I was them.

Who the fuck do I believe? Tony Evans, or Broughton, Purslow, Hicks and Gillet? None of them. I think they're all spinning lies and distorting the truth for their own private agendas.

Tony Evans is the sports editor of the Times.

He was on TalkSport last Thursday evening as well and was all doom and gloom saying that there would be a mass exodus of all the top players.

He did get a 'thanks' though from Paul Rice yesterday.

That is some plug he has there Stevie as I heard him on Talksport saying the same to Jason Cundy last night saying the same thing. At least he is raising awareness.

He obviously doesn't understand that we're supposed to be thinking nice things again and should be cutting everybody at the club a bit of slack now rather than ask difficult questions about what is going on.

Cough.

Rafael Benitez: I can walk through Anfield storm

Tony Evans, Football Editor

November can be grim on Merseyside. It is barely past lunchtime and darkness is falling nearly as heavily as the rain. There is a gloom around Liverpool’s academy in Kirkby that mirrors the state of the club.

The team are seventh in the Barclays Premier League after five defeats in 12 games — they lost just twice last season — and on the verge of an exit from the Champions League. The mood is downbeat.

Enter Rafael Benítez and in an instant the academy staff are bathing in a little Spanish sunshine. Beaming a huge smile, he sweeps out of the rain in a flurry of backslaps, handshakes and hugs. This is no icy analyst. He is relaxed, in casual trousers and a V-necked pullover, and at ease with his world.

The acres of critical newsprint, the hours of Rafa-bashing on the phone-ins, have not shaken his confidence. He sits in an office, with its balcony overlooking the windswept training pitches, like a man secure about his domain.

“In 2004 the squad was worth, what, £100 million? Now perhaps we have one player worth that,” he says. “The whole squad? Maybe £250 million.

“The club was nearly sold for £85 million five years ago. Now the price is £500 million. We must be doing something right.

“We are much better now than we were three or four years ago in every single thing — in the commercial department, the marketing department, in football.

“The majority of the fans, especially the ones who go to the stadium, realise the team is working and improving, and is better than before. To achieve 86 points in the league last season is part of the progression. The direction of the club is right. But everyone wants to win and we are disappointed when we don’t win any game or any trophy.”

Tune's changed a tad.

He said that the club was on the verge of 'meltdown' and we could be well looking at a Leeds if not worse. He asked how was it realistic that we were going to be sold by the end of August if there are no bids on the table? And that SG and FT were sick of broken promises and lies from senior management.

goatboy - I remember that article well. He has changed a tad hasn't he.

Garymac - Agree with your final paragraph. I'm not naive enough to think we should all be cutting the club some slack or 'thinking nice things' but I'm optimistic. That doesn't mean I trust any of the fuckers though but equally I'll never ever trust a journo with an agenda.

I wish he would start using the air time to ask such questions instead of this 'prepare for the end of the world' schtick all the time. All that's doing is cheering up TalkSport. Sounding resigned to fate isn't helpful if you really do want to fight.

Evans never stated he had any source. Seems to me like he was speculating, another point, is Mourinho Gerrard's biological father or something? He says Gerrard should go to Jose etc...... Are they related or something? Anyone who can't see the Owen parallels with Gerrard going to Madrid are blind.

I can't see Torres going on the cheap either, we needed money last summer yet we still got a decent price out of Alonso.

I hate all this.

Not a day goes by without all this hearsay, speculation, conjecture and conspiracy theories. Even when something with a ring of truth about it is printed, it's never good news.

Probably going to get worse before it gets better too.

Hurry up and sell the club you massive cunts.

Ahhh modern day LFC. We have Broughton towing the official line of "We don't need to sell players to alleviate debts, Gerrard and Torres are here, we don't want to nor do we need to sell them".

Now we have Journo's on the radio saying the club are so desperate they'll bite anyone's hand off for any money going for any players, especially Torres. All I'll say is this, if Torres does go for a cut price, Purslow, Broughton, Hicks and Gillet may want to invest some of their stolen money in very good security systems. I wouldn't turn up anywhere near Liverpool if I was them.

Who the fuck do I believe? Tony Evans, or Broughton, Purslow, Hicks and Gillet? None of them. I think they're all spinning lies and distorting the truth for their own private agendas.

Broughton is the interesting one. He's not a football man. He's got a decent reputation outside of football. To be seen to lie during a high profile project like this makes no sense for him. He needs to do this quickly and emerge looking squeaky clean. Ish. I don't know enough about what he's doing, but unless Evans really is privy to Broughton's actions and/or inactions I prefer not to jump to conclusions. He's set himself up very publicly now if he IS as crooked as Purslow: wait and see.

Cough.

Rafael Benitez: I can walk through Anfield storm

Tony Evans, Football Editor

November can be grim on Merseyside. It is barely past lunchtime and darkness is falling nearly as heavily as the rain. There is a gloom around Liverpool’s academy in Kirkby that mirrors the state of the club.

The team are seventh in the Barclays Premier League after five defeats in 12 games — they lost just twice last season — and on the verge of an exit from the Champions League. The mood is downbeat.

Enter Rafael Benítez and in an instant the academy staff are bathing in a little Spanish sunshine. Beaming a huge smile, he sweeps out of the rain in a flurry of backslaps, handshakes and hugs. This is no icy analyst. He is relaxed, in casual trousers and a V-necked pullover, and at ease with his world.

The acres of critical newsprint, the hours of Rafa-bashing on the phone-ins, have not shaken his confidence. He sits in an office, with its balcony overlooking the windswept training pitches, like a man secure about his domain.

“In 2004 the squad was worth, what, £100 million? Now perhaps we have one player worth that,” he says. “The whole squad? Maybe £250 million.

“The club was nearly sold for £85 million five years ago. Now the price is £500 million. We must be doing something right.

“We are much better now than we were three or four years ago in every single thing — in the commercial department, the marketing department, in football.

“The majority of the fans, especially the ones who go to the stadium, realise the team is working and improving, and is better than before. To achieve 86 points in the league last season is part of the progression. The direction of the club is right. But everyone wants to win and we are disappointed when we don’t win any game or any trophy.”

Tune's changed a tad.

Have you ever seen the rain comin' down on a sunny day?

I know I have.

gkmacca - I feel the same about Broughton. He didn't have to be here, he's come here to do a job and will not be looking to damage his career or lie for anyone. Hence my sense of optimism. Evans didn't mention Broughton once today or anything he'd said at Roy's press conference. That wound me up more than anything. Twats like this are very broadly speculating and because they speak with a scouse accent they seem to be taken more seriously. Bunch of arse.

I wish he would start using the air time to ask such questions instead of this 'prepare for the end of the world' schtick all the time. All that's doing is cheering up TalkSport. Sounding resigned to fate isn't helpful if you really do want to fight.

Agree with that. No point being defeatist. But maybe he thinks you've got to raise awareness about the depth of the shit we're in before enough people are prepared to buy into the fight.

Or maybe he's just pissed off.

Tune's changed a tad.

Situation has changed, why should the tune be the same? The price you get for the players depends also on who is doing the selling and why. During the time the article you quoted was written no one in here was thinking about a real possibility of selling the best players, and Torres was worth close to 100m in the then inflated market place. Now the realistic price would probably be around 50 million to Chelsea/Barcelona, 70 million to ManC. And no one really knows how badly off we are...