You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Retro.

I reckon the Backstreet Boys are involved, don't know why, I just do.

The FBI has arrested 10 alleged Russian spies and broken up a "long term, deep cover" network of agents that spent years adopting American identities and gathering an array of intelligence, from information about nuclear weapons to the gold market and personnel changes at the CIA.

In an indictment that might have been taken from the plot of a cold war thriller, the FBI alleges that the Russian intelligence service, the SVR, sent spies to live in the US under false names with the intent of becoming so Americanised they could build relationships with sources and gather information without raising suspicion. Some of the agents lived as married couples and had children who have grown up as Americans unaware that their parents are Russian.

The FBI alleges that the accused spies were able to get close to a scientist working with "bunker-buster" nuclear bombs and a New York financier with powerful political ties. But the intercepts do not suggest they were successful at uncovering valuable information and some of the exchanges with Moscow appear almost laughable in their simplicity, including advice to one agent to "build up little by little relations" with the financier.

The FBI said that the deep cover agents were called "Illegals" by Moscow. An intercepted message from the SVR to two of the alleged spies outlined their mission.

"You were sent to USA for long-term service trip. Your education, your bank accounts, car, house, etc – all these serve one goal: fulfill your main mission, ie to search and develop ties in policymaking circles in US and send intels (intelligence reports) to C (Centre)," an intercepted message said according to the indictment.

The FBI described the "Illegals" as being paired in Russia "so that they can live together and work together in a host country, under the guise of a married couple. Illegals who are placed together and cohabit in the country to which they are assigned will often have children together".

The arrests were made in Arlington, Virginia – close to the Pentagon and CIA headquarters – and in New York, Boston and New Jersey. One of the detained couples lives on the west coast, in Seattle. The justice department said one other alleged spy, who is accused of delivering payments to members of the ring, is still being sought.

According to the indictments, members of the spy ring reported back to Moscow in 2004 that they were able to get close to an American whom the Russian agents described as involved in "strategic planning related to nuclear weapon development" and "had conversations with him about research programs on small yield high penetration nuclear warheads recently authorised by US Congress (nuclear 'bunker-buster' warheads)".

Another alleged spy, named as Cynthia Murphy, built a relationship with a man described as a prominent New York-based financier active in politics. Moscow responded that he was a very interesting target because he might be able to provide information about foreign policy and discussions among the president's closest aides.

The SVR also urged its agents to collect information on the US positions on arms talks, Iran's nuclear programme and Afghanistan in advance of Barack Obama's visit to Russia last year. Moscow also sought information about personnel turnover at the top of the CIA and the 2008 presidential election.

The indictment says the alleged spies used a number of methods to communicate with the SVR including unique wireless networks to transfer encrypted data. One of the wireless networks was run from a van in New York that on one occasion parked outside a coffee shop where one of the accused , named as Anna Chapman, was sitting. The FBI said it observed as she established a connection with the wireless link in the van and transmitted data. A few weeks later she did the same from a bookshop.

The FBI said it also observed a car with diplomatic plates registered to the Russian government park outside a Washington DC restaurant where another alleged spy who went by the name Mikhail Semenko, who is still being sought by the authorities, used a computer to establish a connection with a wireless signal from the car.

Other information was passed by posting pictures on the internet that had text buried in them as well as long established techniques such as drops and "brush pasts" in local parks.

Relations between the alleged spies and their handlers were not always cordial as the "illegals" took to the American way of life.

In one intercepted message, Richard and Cynthia Murphy, who arrived in the US in the mid-1990s, decided to buy a house in New Jersey. That did not go down well at Moscow centre.

"We are under the impression that C. views our ownership of the house as a deviation from the original purpose of our mission here," they said in an intercepted message. "We'd like to assure you that we do remember what it is. From our perspective, purchase of the house was solely a natural progression of our prolonged stay here. It was a convenient way to solve the housing issue, plus to 'do as the Romans do' in a society that values home ownership."

Each of the 10 has been charged with conspiracy to act as an agent of a foreign government. They face up to five years in prison if convicted although it is possible that more serious charges will be added.

The alleged spies are also accused of money laundering.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest James D
Russia needs to burn in hell. These spies should be executed but given that our President is a pussy, it's likely next to nothing will happen.

Please breed, please.

what you think you have no spies doing the same thing

that sort of atitude reminds me of General Melchett in Blackadder

Darling: So you see, Blackadder, Field Marshal Haig is most anxious to

eliminate all these German spies.

Melchett: Filthy Hun weasels fighting their dirty underhand war!

Darling: And, fortunately, one of *our* spies--

Melchett: Splendid fellows, brave heroes, risking life and limb for Blighty!

Darling: ...has discovered that the leak is coming from the Field Hospital

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Russia needs to burn in hell.

Fuck you. Do you think they are the only country doing things like this, if they have indeed done anything at all? Do you know anything about the CIA at all? Have you seen the bodies of the babies your country has burned over the last few decades?

These spies should be executed but given that our President is a pussy, it's likely next to nothing will happen.

Because the President isn't jumping to conclusions and slicing their heads off on the steps of the White House, it makes him a pussy? You'd get on well with Red Mist, you mental fucker.

I hope many more countries have spies within your government, such is the level of nefarious intent.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

No-one fucks with the Russians.

2010 Moscow subway terror attacks...Russia invades Chechnya and bombs the living shit out of the place.

2010 Somalian pirates take a Russian oil tanker...oh dear, we'll never see those daft cunts again.

Russian navy 'sent Somali pirates to their death' from hijacked ship | News & Politics | News & Comment | The First Post

2002 Moscow cinema siege. Russian commando's aren't having any of that shite and gas the fucking militants...and also about 140 Moscovan cinema goers !

Moscow theater hostage crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if further proof were required...

[YOUTUBE]_0B23UE7tB4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

If Jack The Ripper was Russian, they'd have caught the cunt, tortured the fucker, then bombed the shit out of Upton Park.

No-one fucks with the Russians.

There's obviously something the yanks want out of this, or else they wouldn't have told CNN. These aren't the kind of arrests you lean about by phoning the police press office.

The yanks (and Russians for that matter) probably have lists of low-priority people who they don't like the looks of, and then when they want to strongarm the other side, or embarrass them, they move in and arrest them while telling every fucker who'll listen.

The Russians have claimed tonight that it was orchestrated by someone in Obama's administration to undermine his efforts to forge closer ties - sounds feasible to me.

Russia needs to burn in hell. These spies should be executed but given that our President is a pussy, it's likely next to nothing will happen.

Seriously lame.

I imagine there's a handful of American spies shitting themselves in Moscow right now.

Same for those if they get caught then Mustang? Maybe try using your head.

Do you guys seriously think that Russia would not execute an American spy caught in Moscow immediately? For God's sake.

And for those talking about America burning babies in the past decade, if you want to compare histories, England takes the cake over America seven days a week when it comes to what would now be crimes/war crimes, etc.

Lastly, all of you get fucked. If they can get spies into Washington, what makes you think the commie bastards aren't sitting in London right now? WE are the good guys, the Russians are the bad guys. And you guys are on our side.

And anybody having citizenship in the USA or feigning citizenship in Canada to infiltrate America, well hell that's as good as treason which = death sentence.

So yes, if they are truly found guilty of spying on America for Russia, they should go.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Do you guys seriously think that Russia would not execute an American spy caught in Moscow immediately?

What does that have to do with anything? How could you possibly call yourselves better than Russia if you slam them for something but do it yourselves?

And for those talking about America burning babies in the past decade, if you want to compare histories, England takes the cake over America seven days a week when it comes to what would now be crimes/war crimes, etc.

The difference is, you jingoistic mentalist, that I hate and criticise the crime of British imperialism. I criticise that this country was complicit in American led crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan. Just the same as I criticise what happened in Vietnam and other wars.

It's easy, if you try.

If they can get spies into Washington, what makes you think the commie bastards aren't sitting in London right now?

Nothing. I'd be surprised if they didn't. Just the same as I'd be shocked if 6 didn't have spies in Moscow.

WE are the good guys, the Russians are the bad guys.

What a strange, simplistic view of the world you have. How anybody can call America and Britain the 'good guys' is beyond belief. It shows an impressive commitment to ignorance and an antipathy towards any sort of reasoned logic.

And you guys are on our side.

Well, I'm not on either side. Certainly not on the side of a country that galavants around the world with their big guns. America is just the Nelson Muntz of geopolitics.

And anybody having citizenship in the USA or feigning citizenship in Canada to infiltrate America, well hell that's as good as treason which = death sentence.

So yes, if they are truly found guilty of spying on America for Russia, they should go.

I assume that you'd support the Russian government executing American spies?

It would be very unfortunate for any Americans to be executed at the hands of Russians. But don't think for an instant that all of Russia would be crying for the execution of any American spies caught there, and they would get the blood they want.

May I ask where you are from? Cuz if you are from Britain and don't consider America and Britain the good guys, then you, sir, are the one who needs to take another look at the world. Americans and Brits fight, literally and figuratively, around the world every day to protect democracy/open market/human rights, etc. On the other hand the Russians work with the Chinese, both who constantly violate human rights, and they sell shit to Iran, whose "President" vows daily to wipe Israel and all the Jews off the face of the earth. Those Iranians back terrorists throughout the world that kill English servicemen without regard.

Whether you like it or not, we are the good guys. And whether you like it or not....which you apparently don't....England are also the good guys.

Again, a British person talking about America using their "big guns" is beyond belief. America has always fought for liberty, freedom, open market, democracy, etc. We are the good guys. Get fuckin real.

Lastly....American war crimes in Iraq? Yes, chances are that some incidents have occurred. First, get real. British people have been committing war crimes throughout the world for centuries...Americans for a fraction of the time. And if you think that all the Brits fighting in the Middle East are angels, then you are delusional.

I know I sound extremely conservative and all and some of my opinions won't be agreed with, but America and England are the good guys. We're the shining lights of the world. We are right. Spying on America or England has always been met with strength, and it should continue to be met with strength.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It would be very unfortunate for any Americans to be executed at the hands of Russians.

So, what you're saying is that you're a dirty hypocrite?

May I ask where you are from? Cuz if you are from Britain and don't consider America and Britain the good guys, then you, sir, are the one who needs to take another look at the world.

As somebody that keeps in touch with politics from around the world in order to do my job effectively, I'd say that I look hard enough. Thanks all the same.

Americans and Brits fight, literally and figuratively, around the world every day to protect democracy/open market/human rights, etc.

I'm starting to think you're on a wind up.

On the other hand the Russians work with the Chinese, both who constantly violate human rights, and they sell shit to Iran, whose "President" vows daily to wipe Israel and all the Jews off the face of the earth. Those Iranians back terrorists throughout the world that kill English servicemen without regard.

Now I know you're on a wind up.

Whether you like it or not, we are the good guys.

It has nothing to do with liking it and, with respect, stating it as a fact doesn't make it one.

Again, a British person talking about America using their "big guns" is beyond belief. America has always fought for liberty, freedom, open market, democracy, etc. We are the good guys. Get fuckin real.

Wind up. Genuinely, this is a wind up?

Lastly....American war crimes in Iraq? Yes, chances are that some incidents have occurred. First, get real. British people have been committing war crimes throughout the world for centuries...Americans for a fraction of the time. And if you think that all the Brits fighting in the Middle East are angels, then you are delusional.

You can tell that you're patriotic to the point of derangement by your constant attempt to defend America by criticising Britain. Well, I criticise them, too. Actually, I criticise them more than you.

I know I sound extremely conservative

Yeah, you're a reactionary with a very simplistic, unrefined view of the world.

We're the shining lights of the world.

Just tell me, to save me wasting time, you're on a wind up... right?