You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin Broughton

Trucker Paddy

I think Broughton has been caught between a rock and a hard place with Hick's ridiculous valuation of the club which Broughton can't be blamed for. I like the way he said something along the lines of it isn't about selling to the highest bidder but the right buyer.

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt where he says he can categorically state that sales from players won't be going to service debts etc. He has set himself up for a massive fall by saying that and as Antynwa said earlier in the thread he has no reason to lie and why would he lie?

If he oversees the successful sale of the club to owners who won't screw us over then he will have my respect for that at least.

I don't believe that mate, I don't think he gives a fuck about Liverpool's long term future, but then neither did Parry, so again - the whole 'he's not a Liverpool fan' thing is moot IMO.

I don't reckon he's going to want to let players go to service debt because it looks like a personal failure on his part. He's been brought in to get maximum value for the club, but the more top players we lose the less the club as a whole will be valued at (as they are club assett's), those players will only need to be sold to service debts, but that will only happen if Hicks continues to drag his feet. Broughton has spotted a window within which he can get maxium value for the club - and come away looking like he's done a good job - and is probably very pissed off at Hicks' stance, hence where these leaks are coming from IMO.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that mate, I don't think he gives a fuck about Liverpool's long term future, but then neither did Parry, so again - the whole 'he's not a Liverpool fan' thing is moot IMO.

I don't reckon he's going to want to let players go to service debt because it looks like a personal failure on his part. He's been brought in to get maximum value for the club, but the more top players we lose the less the club as a whole will be valued at (as they are club assett's), those players will only need to be sold to service debts, but that will only happen if Hicks continues to drag his feet. Broughton has spotted a window within which he can get maxium value for the club - and come away looking like he's done a good job - and is probably very pissed off at Hicks' stance, hence where these leaks are coming from IMO.

So if this is true, then it means Hick's can in fact block a sale of the club, Broughton lied and we're fucked?

So if this is true, then it means Hick's can in fact block a sale of the club, Broughton lied and we're fucked?

Pretty much, yes. I think perhaps Broughton was led to believe that they wouldn't block sales, but reality has bitten. Hard. People should not underestimate just how much of a cunt Hicks is prepared to be.

I think that the club is in 'unofficial administration'

My reasoning is as follows:

- A man of Broughton's business reputation would not send out such a clear message if he was not 100% confident in delivery of the sale.

- Hicks & Gillet appear to have been excluded from any decision making, i.e Hodgson's appointment - compare this to when they were openly touting Klinsmann or more recently extending Rafa's contract. In fact the only statements they have made has been in regards to the price of the club

- Open knowledge that the 100m debt reduction payment was missed - though the debt arrangement has been extended it must have been on RBS terms.

- The continued economic downturn has led to a situation where the credit markets are frozen for most which has implied that it is extremely unlikely that Hicks and Gillet would be able to make sensible credit arrangements elsewhere leaving then with no option but to respect RBS terms. As we know Hicks has a well known reputation for poor credit history.

Obviously we dont know exactly what terms RBS has in place for the sales process - however their primary objective is to recover the ~ £237M debt.

Pretty much, yes. I think perhaps Broughton was led to believe that they wouldn't block sales, but reality has bitten. Hard. People should not underestimate just how much of a cunt Hicks is prepared to be.

I'm not enough of a financial whizz to know, but I'm presuming Barclay's can get shirty with Hicks when they want to? If banks can downgrade whole nations' credit rating to 'junk', isn't there moves they can make with individuals who owe obscene amounts of money?

What???? How did you get that from what he said?

I don't follow the logic.

If Broughton and BarCap are leaking to the press that Hicks has scuppered decent offers for the club, and that his ridiculous asking price is scaring away potential buyers. Then it means that he still holds all the cards, and he has to agree to, and can still block any sale.

Which means, he will hold out for 600- £800 million which he won't get, or go down the asset stripping route, meaning we're fucked...

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think his video on the website is good. It's genuine, it makes logical business sense and he isn't in this just to piss on chips. He's in it to make a lot of money in a short amount of time and to enhance his standing in the business community.

Hell yeah! So agree. Tried to rep you, but looks like I have done recently. Well done for yet more wise words dude.

Hell mo fo yeah! Section, you are ruling this thread hard my man!!

DPW and Section

Up in a tree

Been told today that Hicks and Gillett have very little to do with the day to day running of the Club,the Club will be sold to the first decent offer.

Broughton comments today seem to back up what I was told,saying there's no base line, and Hicks and Gillett CAN'T block any sale.

If Broughton and BarCap are leaking to the press that Hicks has scuppered decent offers for the club, and that his ridiculous asking price is scaring away potential buyers. Then it means that he still holds all the cards, and he has to agree to, and can still block any sale.

Which means, he will hold out for 600- £800 million which he won't get, or go down the asset stripping route, meaning we're fucked...

Luckily for us(!), the debt is so high that asset stripping won't work. Sell off the players, the ground, the LFC brand (which would be worth fuck all by then, anyway), would that bring in the £350 million just to break even? No chance. Wouldn't put it past the cunt to try, though.

Been told today that Hicks and Gillett have very little to do with the day to day running of the Club,the Club will be sold to the first decent offer.

Broughton comments today seem to back up what I was told,saying there's no base line, and Hicks and Gillett CAN'T block any sale.

Still leaves the problem that we're effectively run by a one-day-a-week Chelsea fan who thinks Torres should leave for his own good, and a Liverpool 'fan' who thought it was a good idea to shell out £8m to replace Rafa with Roy. Frying Pan. Fire.

Still leaves the problem that we're effectively run by a one-day-a-week Chelsea fan who thinks Torres should leave for his own good, and a Liverpool 'fan' who thought it was a good idea to shell out £8m to replace Rafa with Roy. Frying Pan. Fire.

As opposed to dyed in the wool reds fans Moores and Parry?

In the event of a sale.....will Purslow be told to fuck off back to where he came from? :D

I imagine the new owners will hold on to whoever can do a good job, I don't know much about Purslow, but presumably he'll be judged by what he brings to the table financially.

As opposed to dyed in the wool reds fans Moores and Parry?

Well, you have to concede that Broughton's comments at that Chelsea do were a bit iffy? I don't care who anyone who the club employs supports, as long as they're competent and professional. Broughton showed a lack of professionalism. Purslow, a lack of competence. Moores and Parry showed both.

Could you post something that's indecisive in tone so I can do a 'are you split in two about that' pun please?

Sorry mate, I'm off to bed. I'm being coerced into going to an early morning psychiatric counselling session about my paranoia/schizophrenia.

Will that do? ;)

To me the second statement strengthens the first. It indicates that a price has been agreed and they cannot block any offer that meets that agreed price. Just like they did with the rangers - if you remember there was an auction there and the highest bidder didn't win the auction.

I really don't see anything wrong with that extra word at all.

I wish I had your confidence.

However I don't.

A reasonable offer to RBS could be as little as what they are owed approx £350m.

A reasonable offer to Hicks is on record as £800m.

That gives Broughton plenty of 'wriggle room'.

I hope Stringvest is right, but I think Barry Wom is spot on. Broughton is another part of the problem.

Amazes me after three years of shit the amount of our fans who still give “the benefit of the doubt” to any members of our club hierarchy.

Working class inferiority complex.

. I like the way he said something along the lines of it isn't about selling to the highest bidder but the right buyer.

Go on then, tell us how logical it is to say, as Broughton said today, that it is an auction without a reserve price (so far) in which the highest bidder (if there are any bidders) will get it, while at the same time saying they will sell it only to the right buyer. Your super sharp critical faculties seem to desert you when the target is not Rafa but a member of the board who forced him to leave.