You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude said the Tory manifesto would include the requirement for at least half of eligible union members to vote in order for a strike to be lawful.

A gift for Labour and a vote loser for the Tories.

What this will do is encourage a vote on democracy, and that is a good thing. It may also have a number of unintended consequences.

Both the Unions and political parties are way behind the curve on voting. There is no reason why people should not be able to vote by smartphone/computer.

I don't think this will get to the statute book, but it may stimulate some much needed debate, and action.

Both the Unions and political parties are way behind the curve on voting. There is no reason why people should not be able to vote by smartphone/computer.

If you could make it secure this is surely the way to go.

I'm sure a fair number of the electorate don't vote because they haven't registered/don't know how to/have change address recently. If there was an online way of voting in which you could verify where you lived this would pick up large numbers of people who don't vote currently.

Though given the governments multitude of It fuck ups over the years (looking at you DWP in particular) I wouldn't hold out any hope for this.

The Tories are just going to be scrambling around for the votes of the thick fuckers who voted UKIP at the last round of council and EU elections. Further sanctions on unions, more cuts in welfare and a fiercely Eurosceptic cabinet is what they believe will appeal to the knuckle draggers who actually believe this irrelevant, little shitpot of an island has any influence on the rest of the modern world.

This government is in its death throes; the last vestiges of coalition unity being cast off, the Tories and the Lib Dems are struggling to convince their traditional voters they are the parties they have always been. Cameron attacks the unions, Clegg's heart bleeds over the bedroom tax and soon the fault for their failures will be laid at each other's door. If Labour don't crush these fucking dying maggots at the next General Election then they are a lot less capable than I think they are - and I think they're nearly fucking useless.

• Upvote 2

Labour are shithouses who pander to corporate profit over people's quality of life. They are worse than the Tories with the Tories all I see is aristocratic blue blood cunts who pray for a downton abbey type world and want to own slaves and completely destroy the planet as long as they live a rich life before it happens. Labour want the same but pretend they don't.

I think we need a revolution before they kill us all.

Labour are shithouses who pander to corporate profit over people's quality of life. They are worse than the Tories with the Tories all I see is aristocratic blue blood cunts who pray for a downton abbey type world and want to own slaves and completely destroy the planet as long as they live a rich life before it happens. Labour want the same but pretend they don't.

I think we need a revolution before they kill us all.

Yep.

15_felixgraph_w(2)_LRG.jpg

http://www.channel4.com/news/young-people-earn-less-pensioners-ifs-generation

Hmm... the targeting/complete lack of help for the young as a way to create a slave workforce is all pervading with this Government, "don't worry guys we're only fucking the young and they don't even vote".

The financial crash of 07/08 is going to be nothing in comparison to the realisation that a good chunk of people under the age of 30 have no assets what so ever and are dragging around huge pile of debt accrued on credit cards and loans given out by the banks like candy, just so they can prop up some buy to let economy that is also making housing totally unaffordable.

I do wonder if successive government have almost been asleep at the wheel, with the exception of those with a right leaning persuasion who just want to gut the state and make life even more difficult for those without inherited means.

If what they say is true then how come the opposition and the media never have these kinds of answers or arguments. How come labour look fucking clueless in any argument and void of answers. I've seen no opposition I've seen fuck all fightback from labour a party that's supposed to represent working class people. They are all in it together and they are all evil cunts. They have made a fucking mess of the whole world following some kind of fucking warped logic decade after decade both home and abroad almost everything they touch turns to shit its unbelievable just how much they fucking ruin everything. We give them too much leeway and they have given banks, corporations and the arms industry way too much fucking power and its all going tits up. I just want to lock the houses of parliament up during prime ministers questions and throw in a coked up horny mandrill and watch what happens for a few hours as it prowls the corridors as these self righteous self preserving dangerous sociopaths throw each other infront of the fucker.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I believe you'll find those that are registered as self employed but who also work part time just to make enough money to live are counted as 2 new people working as well.

Uniquely American British, idn't it?

I believe you'll find those that are registered as self employed but who also work part time just to make enough money to live are counted as 2 new people working as well.

How does that work? Do the ONS statisticians get pissed before they interview people and end up seeing double?

The financial crash of 07/08 is going to be nothing in comparison to the realisation that a good chunk of people under the age of 30 have no assets what so ever and are dragging around huge pile of debt accrued on credit cards and loans given out by the banks like candy, just so they can prop up some buy to let economy that is also making housing totally unaffordable.

It's not real debt, though. Just pretend. Students love pretend debt and higher tuition fees.

Wow. Dog. Wow.

You see the benefits of technological advancement leading to everyone getting to work a three day week? That we'll all be freed from work? Jesus. And you talk about living in a cave! How do you envisage this Disney version of the future coming about? In a world of the shrunken state how do you think these three day weeks are going to be funded? You think that capital is suddenly going to pay five day wages for three days of labour? Or....do you think that they'd rather just use the fact there is less work required to drive down wages for those competing for jobs?

Work being done more efficiently wasn't your over-riding point at all. In any way. Your over-riding point was that people moaning about how technological displacement of labour might as well be smashing jennies because of the "Luddite Fallacy". That was your point. You got tired of having to keep posting the link to make the point. That it was of benefit macro-economically.

The problem being, as I've pointed out, that the theory of the Luddite Fallacy is that the economy benefits from the technology leading to lower prices or better wages, neither of which apply here. Redistribution is not a difficult concept to grasp, as you so patronisingly state, it's very simple and basic, that's why you'll find it as a description of how things work in a first year GCSE textbook. The problem is, you see, when you actually get into the real world it's a little more complicated. The real world where that doesn't happen, and hasn't happened for 30 years, hence the problem continuing. You miss the point that there also requires a will to address it, or that it has to be seen as something to sort. It is a simple theory. It isn't happening. Why? Either it isn't simple to put into practice (as you yourself have stated when making excuses for the government) or there isn't the will. Easy concept to grasp. Still, in the real world, not a concept being applied.

Your vision sounds wonderful Dog, and it's one I fully subscribe to; it's just totally detached from the reality of how the world works.

Remember folks - you're either behind the times or you're ahead of the times:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jul/21/carlos-slim-calls-for-three-day-working-week-to-improve-quality-of-life

Carlos Slim calls for three-day working week to improve quality of life

Mexican billionaire says workforce could be spread over a full week, employees working up to 10 or 11 hours a day

Mexican billionaire tycoon, Carlos Slim, has called for the introduction of a three-day working week, offset by longer hours and a later retirement, as a way to improve people’s quality of life and create a more productive labour force.

Slim made the comments when speaking to a business conference in Paraguay, suggesting that the workforce could be spread over a full week, with employees working up to 10 or 11 hours a day.

“With three work days a week, we would have more time to relax; for quality of life,” the Financial Times reports  Slim saying.

The business conference, Growing Together – States and Enterprises, was held in Asuncion and was attended by business and political leaders from across Latin America.

“Having four days [off] would be very important to generate new entertainment activities and other ways of being occupied,” Slim said. He said current retirement ages come from a time of lower life expectancies, and should rise to 70 or 75.

Slim – routinely identified as one of the two richest people in the world – is the CEO of Telmex, a fixed phone line communications company which recently offered its employees a new form of contract.

Telmex employees who joined in their teens can access early retirement, and anyone who wants to work beyond retirement can do so at full pay but a reduced load of four days a week.

Slim, who is also the head of mining company Minera Frisco, is estimated to have a personal net worth of $80bn  – around the same as Bill Gates.

Some small companies in Australia have instigated a four-day week flexible workplace policy, and advocates cite improvements in employee health and environmental impact as possible benefits.

• Downvote 1

This is the second richest man on the planet, maybe the most successful capitalist in history since he got there in a developing country, and he's advocating something I was ridiculed for a few months ago.

At least it proves this isn't the "Disney" fantasy you said it was.

• Downvote 1

This is the second richest man on the planet, maybe the most successful capitalist in history since he got there in a developing country, and he's advocating something I was ridiculed for a few months ago.

At least it proves this isn't the "Disney" fantasy you said it was.

No it doesn't. It proves one man is saying "wouldn't it be nice if we all hold hands". The same way a rich man talking about a plan for world peace doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Saying you'd like to fly and it actually happening are two very different things.