You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election

JER

Who will you vote for (if at all?)  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you vote for (if at all?)

• Labour
    • Tories
    • Lib Dems

Tell that to all everybody who suffered at the hands of Norman Lamont in the 90s. I just don't think the Tories are suited to making important decisions - they should stick to rowing and playing bridge.

Were you out of the country in the 1980s?

I'm sure they'd rather like that.

No I was in the Country during the 80s. It was shit. It was also 20-30 years ago.

Thatcher got in because of the mess that the previous Labour govt created. Why doesn't anyone harp back to the winter of discontent and mass strikes? It's not much further in the past is it? 1 year!

Like I said, I'm not a Tory. It just bores me when this argument against them is trawled out time after time.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This campaign is gearing up to be a load of shite.

On one hand you have them saying this is the biggest election for a generation and then on the other you have the big issues they are debating.

A couple off pence on national insurance. It's bollocks.

Where is the vision? This crop of politicians must be the worst in decades.

What the fuck is this thing on question Time?

_45391517_janet_daley_bbc203.jpg

Janet Daley was born in America where she began her political life on the Left as an undergraduate at Berkeley. She moved to Britain (and to the Right) in 1965 where she spent nearly twenty years in academic life before becoming a political commentator: all factors that inform her writing on British and American policy and politicians.

She looks like a fucking transvestite, hideous.

I hate the whole idea of tactical voting. I'd rather vote for something than against something. It's a shame people feel railroaded by the electoral system into voting tactically.

I still like the idea that a person can vote for their own member to represent them in parliament, however it's becoming increasingly obvious that the system is undemocratic.

Perhaps if the House of Lords can be made into a fully elected body (apparently Labour were thinking of announcing this prior to the election) the members of the "New Lords" could be individuals based on a first past the post local seat, whereas the Commons could be more of a proportional representation type thing. Whether it's based on area lists or countrywide preferences would need to be jiggled about with.

Unfortunately the Conservatives would never bring it in as 60% of Britain votes centre - left, and Labour will be unlikely to do it as the current boundaries and weighting of Wales and Scotland give them a little bias.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You mean you read the headline?

I've read about it. What's the problem? He wanted to make it compulsory, being the cunt that he is, but was persuaded to make it 'universal' or voluntary but pledged to get all 16 year olds involved over time. It's clear that he wants to make it compulsory but it would be very damaging to this persona that fools idiots into thinking that he isn't a Thatcherite, which everybody that knows anything about him knows that he is.

He said that it would promote a 'can do' attitude. What a thundering cunt that thunder cunt is. Slimey.

I've read about it. What's the problem? He wanted to make it compulsory, being the cunt that he is, but was persuaded to make it 'universal' or voluntary but pledged to get all 16 year olds involved over time. It's clear that he wants to make it compulsory but it would be very damaging to this persona that fools idiots into thinking that he isn't a Thatcherite, which everybody that knows anything about him knows that he is.

He said that it would promote a 'can do' attitude. What a thundering cunt that thunder cunt is. Slimey.

My point was that it's not 'bringing back national service', as was suggested.

Personally I don't see a problem in making it compulsory but you're right, it wouldn't look very good for the party. As was said in a previous post; politicians can't make radical statements ahead of an election.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Personally I don't see a problem in making it compulsory

I do. Then again, I quite like freedom.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm sure that the people being held for up to 90 days without charge like their freedom too.

Yep, of that I've no doubt. That's why I oppose those sort of measures.

I have no problem wit a more authoritiarian society provided it is done right. Personally, I've had my fill of seeing young scrotes who've just torched a car being taken for a game of football with the local PCSOs. If someone came out and said we're going to take policing back to basics, free them from red tape, and start seriously bollocking young shitbags, I'd be well up for that. I'd also like to see teachers get more powers back too, expecting them to do a parent's job while also depriving them of power and respect is a joke. I'd also support some form of youth national service too - although it wouldn't have to have anything to do with the military.

If a party advocated these things, and genuinely meant them - I'd maybe even consider voting for them - but it's all my arse.

Problem with the Tories is that they're not interested in discipline and crime for its own sake, they're only interested in it as a means of controling the people who are downtrodden by their policies. Inner city dwellers, socially excluded youth, shit like that. Authoritarianism has to go hand-in-hand with social justice, otherwise it's just fascism under a different name.

Problem with the Tories is that they're not interested in discipline and crime for its own sake, they're only interested in it as a means of controling the people who are downtrodden by their policies. Inner city dwellers, socially excluded youth, shit like that. Authoritarianism has to go hand-in-hand with social justice, otherwise it's just fascism under a different name.

Again, I have to state that I'm not a Tory; although I may appear to be coming across that way. I'm just trying to be rational about the policies that are being talked about by all parties, albeit from an anti-Labour stance. That's purely because I think they've been pretty awful since their first term and I want them out, or at very least a hung parliament.

The quote above is again referring to a Government that was last in power nearly 15 years ago. You can't say, with certainty, that things would be the same again. If the Conservatives won the election (which is highly unlikely due to the swing they'd need for a strong majority anyway) they'd be in power for a maximum of 5 years and if they made the same mistakes they'd be out on their ear, damaging any hopes of re-election in the future. It's too much to risk surely?

Vote me.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I have no problem wit a more authoritiarian society provided it is done right. Personally, I've had my fill of seeing young scrotes who've just torched a car being taken for a game of football with the local PCSOs. If someone came out and said we're going to take policing back to basics, free them from red tape, and start seriously bollocking young shitbags, I'd be well up for that. I'd also like to see teachers get more powers back too, expecting them to do a parent's job while also depriving them of power and respect is a joke. I'd also support some form of youth national service too - although it wouldn't have to have anything to do with the military.

If a party advocated these things, and genuinely meant them - I'd maybe even consider voting for them - but it's all my arse.

Alright, Adolf. Calm it. ;)

I'm a bit of a soft git, so I'm not in favour of anything that encroaches on people's freedom. Punishment is another thing altogether.

Yeah, I agree. This is the Conservatives for you though, is it? The thing is that the very people who they are going to do over are the people that they are conning into voting for them.

I have no problem wit a more authoritiarian society provided it is done right. Personally, I've had my fill of seeing young scrotes who've just torched a car being taken for a game of football with the local PCSOs. If someone came out and said we're going to take policing back to basics, free them from red tape, and start seriously bollocking young shitbags, I'd be well up for that.

I don't agree that painting the victims of social ills like poverty and alienation as the root of the problem is remotely helpful. Prefer to focus my fire on the things that turn someone into a scrote who would torch a car than the scrotes themselves, if I'm honest.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It's always stumped me as to why the Chancellor is not required to have any sort of financial qualification.

That would severely reduce the amount of friends that the PM could put in number 11. Dangerous idea, mate. Dangerous.