You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Schumacher to return!

Monster Masch

Sky Sports | Formula 1 | News | Schumi return confirmed

Seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher will return to Formula One with Mercedes GP next season.

The F1 legend has signed a three-year deal to drive for the German manufacturer in 2010, with the contract said to be initially worth around £6.2million.

Schumacher, who turns 41 on January 3rd and who will therefore easily be the oldest driver on the grid, will partner fellow German Nico Rosberg.

Explaining his decision, Schumacher, who retired at the end of the 2006 season, said: "The motivation is pretty straightforward.

"I got a call from Ross (Brawn, team principal) at the beginning of November asking me to race again, telling me Mercedes were going to be involved.

"I've never left the race track, and after three years I regained the energy I'm feeling now.

"After playing around on motorbikes, I'm ready for the serious stuff."

Schumacher also demonstrated that he has lost none of his self confidence by targeting an eighth drivers' title in 2010.

"I have won it seven times and I'm with the team that won both titles last season, so what do you expect?," he said.

"You can't expect anything else other than to go for the World Championship and that's what we are aiming for."

Guest davelfc

I hope the chinny bastard falls flat on his face. Never liked him (but respect his ability) and hope that he regrets this comeback.

He should have stayed away, he's got nothing left to prove.

Guest ShoePiss
yawn.

8_Mansell.jpg

That's quite a line up.

I saw the article about Schumacher returning on the BBC site, they had a picture of his first win with Mansell and Patrese on the podium with him, just shows how long his career has gone on for. I remember seeing Schumacher for the first time in the Jordan and you could tell he was something else, a bit like seeing Senna in the Toleman in his first season.

Guest Pistonbroke

Reckon it's a PR stunt to bring a bit of excitement back into formula one more than anything. Can't deny his ability whilst he was driving but i can't stand the Arrogant twat. Plus he doesn't pay any tax in Germany as he moved to Switzerland the money hugging chisel chinned arse wipe. Yet the shops were always full of twatting Michael Schumacher merchandise the cheeky cunt.

Guest ShoePiss

I don't think he will win it, he's apparently still in very good shape at 41 but I think the younger drivers will have an edge on him with fitness and not being afraid to take risks.

Guest davelfc
I don't think he will win it, he's apparently still in very good shape at 41 but I think the younger drivers will have an edge on him with fitness and not being afraid to take risks.

I think you're 'bang on' there. Hakkinen had a child and it finished him, he couldn't take risks anymore. Plus as you say, fitness. Most do not realise just how much the drivers go through to compete and although nobody sane could doubt his talent, he will find it very hard and frustrating to compete against the younger drivers.

He didn't need to prove anything, a really bad move. I don't like him so I hope he fails but would never wish any driver harm. I doubt he will last the season.

Personally i think he will be hungrier than ever, one of the fittest drivers ever to wear a helmet. He was winning championships after he had kids and it didnt affect his performance and tbh i dont think he would of came back without his families blessing. In a good car with full factory mercedes backing plus some great drivers on the grid, I think he will be more motivated than ever, talk of him not even finishing the season is crazy.