You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Portsmouth Reaction

TheDrowningMan

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to consider the comparative wage bills here. Ours are on an average of about £75,000-a-week, whilst the Portsmouth players just have to hope that they get paid.

Eleven defeats before Christmas, the last Liverpool manager to over-achieve like this was Souness.

Sarcasm aside, absolutely right. The excuses that have been trotted out for Rafa on an almost daily basis throughout the entirety of his Liverpool career are a complete embarrassment. Top class managers get the majority of their signings right and then get them playing well when they arrive. Rafa has only ever done that with an ever-diminishing minority players.

Just wondering myself if the likes of Sammy Lee or Pellegrino have any sway in the thoughts of Rafa.

Rafa looks totally messed up, is he seeking advice from his backroom staff or is he taking it all on his shoulders.

I'd like to think he sits down with his men and talks about our performances, and they all bounce ideas off each other.

But to me it looks like he is doing it all on his own, if you take over everything at the club you need a strong team behind you.

I've said it a few times recently, but the decline in our fortunes is directly attributable to the departures of Paco and Pako. The great signings began to dry up when Paco left and the number of pissed off players increased when Pako bailed. Basically, it strikes me that they filled the two key gaps in Rafa's armoury - recruitment and motivation - and no-one has come anywhere close to doing so again in their absence.

Rafa is quite clearly a control freak but, left unchecked, it is now destroying all the great work he's done for this club. He should always be a Liverpool legend, but he erodes his legacy with every bizarre, self-defeating decision and blatantly one-eyed comment he makes. Sad, depressing times.

Guest Pistonbroke
Can we afford not to sack him? We won't get fourth at this rate!

I agree, but i can't see Tom and Jerry parting with 20 million can you ? If rafa loved the club he's walk. But he's stubborn and will believe he can turn it around all by himself. His way unfortunately and it's biting the blind man in the arse.

Sarcasm aside, absolutely right. The excuses that have been trotted out for Rafa on an almost daily basis throughout the entirety of his Liverpool career are a complete embarrassment. Top class managers get the majority of their signings right and then get them playing well when they arrive. Rafa has only ever done that with an ever-diminishing minority players.

I've said it a few times recently, but the decline in our fortunes is directly attributable to the departures of Paco and Pako. The great signings began to dry up when Paco left and the number of pissed off players increased when Pako bailed. Basically, it strikes me that they filled the two key gaps in Rafa's armoury - recruitment and motivation - and no-one has come anywhere close to doing so again in their absence.

Rafa is quite clearly a control freak but, left unchecked, it is now destroying all the great work he's done for this club. He should always be a Liverpool legend, but he erodes his legacy with every bizarre, self-defeating decision and blatantly one-eyed comment he makes. Sad, depressing times.

Hate to say it but I agree with all that. I think I've died and gone to old trafford:wallbutt:

I know someone who has been a top flight ref for years until recently (and a red) and is convinced that Mascherano was determined to get himself sent off that time at the mancs a while back so he could go to Argentina.
Strange that because Aldo on radio commentary said the same about Masch today. He said something along the lines of 'he'll be able to go home and have a nice christmas in Argentina with his family' I hope the club refuse to let him leave the country and get him in for training while he's banned.

As for Rafa and his “We were a good team in the first half and the sending off changed everything"!! Well it would do to someone who waves the white flag before a balls even been kicked, wouldn't it. What ever happened to the time when we had SG sent of in the first half of a derby and still managed to play Everton off the park ?

If Rafa had one shred of respect for us fans or the club he'd resign now.

It's all a big mess. I'm thoroughly depressed with this shit this season... Maybe it is time for a change, but i wouldn't expect any miracles.

How many games have we deserved to win this season or put in a decent performance? Any advance on this?

None out of 6 in Europe (against shite-to-average sides)

None in the Carling Cup.

In the league - Stoke, Burnley, Hull, United, possibly Everton given the sort of game it is...

Stoke, Burnley and Hull at home - those are pencilled in wins (I know Stoke tricky last year) before the season starts so I can't get excited about that.

So, really ONE performance that is worthy of the name Liverpool. One out of 26 games...

Hard times

"the sending off changed everything" - what the fuck are you talking about? We were 1 down and hadn't managed a shot on target, how the fuck did it change anything? It's just another excuse and you think we're all stupid and will buy into it. We lost because the team you've assembled play like a bunch of strangers, because your tactics are as negative as anything our club has seen and your team selections are fucking mental. Dossena? Get to fuck. If you've got nothing proper to say after a defeat, shut the fuck up and stop making a cunt of our club and taking the fans for pricks.

Agreed.

He is taking us for a ride by saying we "controlled the game". WE DIDN'T HAVE A FUCKING SHOT ON GOAL AGAINST A TEAM THAT IS FUCKING BOTTOM OF THE TABLE!!

Controlling the game? Get to fuck.

The only thing I disagree with you Barry, he shouldn't shut the fuck up, he should have the fucking balls to come out and say we were fucking poor. He can't shut the fuck up anyway as he has to give a post match interview but to say we did OK and controlled the game etc is fucking pathetic. The whole world saw how poor we were today. What is the point in saying something else?

I have always said we should wait until the summer but I'm not so sure now. The 4th place is going away very quick.

I'm a season ticket holder and never ever thought I'd admit that we need a new manager but after todays result we cant go on like this.

I really love Rafa but it's time for a change and fuck knows who will want to come and manage us if there is no money to spend.

I'd love to know what Gerrard and Carragher honestly think about the situation we are in on the field.

I haven't trawled through this ythread to see what everybody is thinking because I can't be arsed frankly.

I just think Rafa has definitely gone as far as he can with the club. Today's substitutions were an absolute joke. What was he thinking taking off Lucas (not such a bad thing but that's another story) and bringing on Spearing when we were 2-0 down. Babel and N'gog were both on the bench and there inclusion would have made a lot more sense. To be fair I wouldn't be too bothered if Babel didn't put the shirt on ever again and although N'gog isn't the greatest he is improving and has been scoring goals.

I haven't been on here for a while because I was getting fed up of the Rafa love brigade but surely even you guys must want him to go now.

Also are we sure we have to pay him off? In every other profession people can be sacked for gross misconduct and the acts he is usually guilty of fall in to that category for me.

I haven't trawled through this ythread to see what everybody is thinking because I can't be arsed frankly.

I just think Rafa has definitely gone as far as he can with the club. Today's substitutions were an absolute joke. What was he thinking taking off Lucas (not such a bad thing but that's another story) and bringing on Spearing when we were 2-0 down. Babel and N'gog were both on the bench and there inclusion would have made a lot more sense. To be fair I wouldn't be too bothered if Babel didn't put the shirt on ever again and although N'gog isn't the greatest he is improving and has been scoring goals.

I haven't been on here for a while because I was getting fed up of the Rafa love brigade but surely even you guys must want him to go now.

Also are we sure we have to pay him off? In every other profession people can be sacked for gross misconduct and the acts he is usually guilty of fall in to that category for me.

I can explain that. The ball wasn't getting into the strikers, so whats the point in having another one in there. If there's one thing spearing can do it is play the hollywoods.

how many of our players have a good first touch and are comfy in possession?

i dont think we have more than 5 players who have a classy touch and can constently pass a ball to red shirt for 90 minutes

agger (even hes struggling now!)

fab

gerrard

nando

yossi

the lack of basic skills is fucking appaling! do we actually play 5 a side still or do we just do defensive and team shape drills?

that guy who sounds like stewie from family guy, silverlining, started a thread under another alias on another site not as good as this one in september 2005"Thanks for the CL Rafa now fuck off" where he basically stated that we would never win the league under rafa. That took some balls 4 months after we won the CL. 4 and a bit years on and we are further away than ever and unfortunately I now have to agree that we will never win the league under Rafa. It's over. Persisting with players like insua, kuyt and lucas is having a detrimental effect on the whole team. What kind of message does it send out when he keeps playing players who are just not performing. Kuyt in particular has been shocking this season but remains in the team every game. Insua hasn't been consistent enough and Lucas's one stand out game was a blood and guts encounter with united where hard tackles and last ditch defending were all that was required of him, when we need some quality to win us games he doesn't have it in his repertoire. I can't see any way back for rafa now. we need a change and we need it now.

I can explain that. The ball wasn't getting into the strikers, so whats the point in having another one in there. If there's one thing spearing can do it is play the hollywoods.

I disagree. We were down to ten men and chasing the game. Mascherano getting sent off meant Gerrard was having to drop deeper meaning Torres was isolated and could of done with a bit of help.

We can't afford to sack Rafa. Can you honestly see those money grabbing bastards forking out 20 million because i can't ? If he was to walk it's a whole new kettle of fish. But if he doesn't he'll be here until the end of the season. I hope he get's some new shoes for Xmas and is pining for the plains of Spain myself because it's -21 and snowing like fuck.

If he is to stay then he better grow a pair and motivate the players and himself. Like a broken record at the moment and it's an embarrassment for the club and taking the piss out of the fans.

The £20m is a red herring, the pay out is based on what they could have earned over the period of the contract. If Rafa was to get sacked and then walk into another job which undoubtably he would then we would only have to pay a smaller compensation amount, it wouldn't be cheap but then again it wouldn't be £20m either. Probably more like the Ged amount £5-10m.

He came across a bit daft to be honest.

I'll take shit for this but to be honest I've often wondered if Rafa is a little autistic. It'd explain his poor man-management skills and his obsession with minutiae. It'd also explain his anger when he's confronted by failure.

I first thought this when I read a thing about when he was a kid, he used to insist on playing Stratego with visitors to the family home, and when he was beaten once, stayed up practicing until he'd won the re-match. Although it made me laugh, I did think "fucking hell, what a strange kid."

Guest Pistonbroke

If we sack him based on performances, results and just being cack at managing then we have to pay him off. If he was to bring the club into disrepute by shagging one of the players wife's or nutting one of the players etc etc then we wouldn't have to. Something to work on there....

I disagree. We were down to ten men and chasing the game. Mascherano getting sent off meant Gerrard was having to drop deeper meaning Torres was isolated and could of done with a bit of help.

edit: my connection is shite so sorry for repeat post

“I asked for a table and they brought me a lampshade”...

Well we asked for a Premiership trophy Rafa and you have brought us very little hope that you are capable of delivering.

Currently we are seventh in the league, with no hope of winning it and we could be potentially ninth if Fulham and Birmingham win their games in hand. Now we have also been knocked out of the Champions League and the League Cup, so a disastrous start to the season. They are all FACTS! As you would say.

Today we fielded a midfield of Kuyt, Mascherano, Lucas and Dossena – it doesn’t look good on paper, it is even worse on the pitch. That is a midfield all of hard work and graft, with little quality in possession and craft, in my opinion.

Our side must be the worst in the league at defending set plays. The last two season’s we have been horrendous at nullifying this area. Attacking the set plays we aren’t much better, with very little threat in the box and Gerrard taking the corners when he is arguably our best player at attacking the ball in the air.

I’m sorry but a centre midfield of Lucas and Mascherano is not good enough for Liverpool FC if we want to win titles. Our side needs a player who can probe, play telling passes in this area and generally has more quality in possession. We have that player in Gerrard, (possibly Aquilani), but Rafa seems to stick to the more cautious and bland partnership.

Kuyt has not been playing well, however he is ‘undroppable’ under Benitez. Benitez has constantly chosen his graft over someone like Benayoun, who is the nearest we have to a match winner in the squad behind Torres and Gerrard – it is crazy.

His substitutions are not much better. Predictable on the hour, every hour – we’ll see Benitez make his change and it is usually a cautious one. One rook for another rook as Benitez looks to treat players as chess pieces, rather than footballers. Our side looks rigid, yet we should be fluid. Our defense should be solid, it is vulnerable. The wide players should be looking to beat the opposition fullbacks and roaming trying to create space and chances for others... rather than concentrating that they are in the right place defensively, so they don’t get a bollocking from Benitez the next day as they are affecting the pro zone stats.

Benitez has spent 220 million players (80 million net for the pedantics) and this is his sixth season at the club, yet we are still fielding a team including Insua, Lucas, Dossena and Kuyt... in what was a team very close to our first eleven. I’m sorry but it is not good enough, that’s without mentioning other squad players such as El Zhar, Degen, Babel, Ngog... which makes you have diarrhea coming out of my mouth, just thinking about it.

So other than making poor team selections, predictable subs, playing players out of position, only having two top match winners, being awful at defending set plays, non-threatening at attacking corners, a squad full of dross, not dropping players out of form, spending 220 million and having five plus years in the job... I’m sorry but it is not good enough and a change must be imminent.

I love Rafa, but I'm sorry we need a change and I don't want to start hating the man!