You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Portsmouth Reaction

TheDrowningMan

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we sack him based on performances, results and just being cack at managing then we have to pay him off. If he was to bring the club into disrepute by shagging one of the players wife's or nutting one of the players etc etc then we wouldn't have to. Something to work on there....

Hahaha . . . Thanks for the laugh, I`m down.

On the bright side, Mascherano being banned for 4 games should mean a more attacking Liverpool side

Benitez finds his best team by accident?!

God we were stupid giving him a five year deal (anbd I said so at the time).

I guess its ok to say what you really think on this site.. ie 'I'm getting a tad pissed off with the tactics of our manager and the shite football getting churned out'. Where as on RAWK I would have the lynch mob banging on my door by now.

Just wondering myself if the likes of Sammy Lee or Pellegrino have any sway in the thoughts of Rafa.

Rafa looks totally messed up, is he seeking advice from his backroom staff or is he taking it all on his shoulders.

I'd like to think he sits down with his men and talks about our performances, and they all bounce ideas off each other.

But to me it looks like he is doing it all on his own, if you take over everything at the club you need a strong team behind you.

Honest question Alan. You now appear to have some sympathy/display some concern over Benitez, who over the past few years you have shown no little amount of anger and hatred towards, which is fair enough as your personal view disposes... any reason or can you smell blood?

Not having a dig in any way, but interested in your view, as even though I disagree with you on a lot of things, I believe yer a pretty honest fella.

I dont want a new manager and I never have.

I just want there to be implications for certain players when there is a fuck up like yesterday and I expect there to be changes. At the very least with Mascherano banned now there will be but I think Johnson is a liability and is gifting goals to the opposition

I think it's best if Benitez is left to get on with it but the pressure might be a lot and may mean he makes stupid and incorrect decisions but he has to get it right and he has to produce the right reaction in terms of team selection especially with so many players letting him down. I doubt he is going to be able to do much in Jan transfer window because of the liars upstairs

Just wondering myself if the likes of Sammy Lee or Pellegrino have any sway in the thoughts of Rafa.

Rafa looks totally messed up, is he seeking advice from his backroom staff or is he taking it all on his shoulders.

I'd like to think he sits down with his men and talks about our performances, and they all bounce ideas off each other.

But to me it looks like he is doing it all on his own, if you take over everything at the club you need a strong team behind you.

Seconded.

I'm hoping he hasn't got too much power and that now there's no fucker there willing to argue with him or give him another viewpoint.

Anybody who's opinion he'd listen to is long gone unfortunately. Sammy will be doing his job and keeping his head down, as he'll want to still be here when Rafa goes.

And can anyone seriously see Pellegrino or the little mute boy pulling Rafa and saying 'Dirk is fucking shit, why are you still playing him? Get a grip'

You cross the boss, you lose your job. That goes for players, chief execs, assistant managers, coaching staff, reserve team bosses, kit men whoever.

Honest question Alan. You now appear to have some sympathy/display some concern over Benitez, who over the past few years you have shown no little amount of anger and hatred towards, which is fair enough as your personal view disposes... any reason or can you smell blood?

Not having a dig in any way, but interested in your view, as even though I disagree with you on a lot of things, I believe yer a pretty honest fella.

I wouldn't go buying any of your relations Christmas presents chocolates of him. Unless they actually prefer boiled sweets.

Anybody who's opinion he'd listen to is long gone unfortunately. Sammy will be doing his job and keeping his head down, as he'll want to still be here when Rafa goes.

And can anyone seriously see Pellegrino or the little mute boy pulling Rafa and saying 'Dirk is fucking shit, why are you still playing him? Get a grip'

You cross the boss, you lose your job. That goes for players, chief execs, assistant managers, coaching staff, reserve team bosses, kit men whoever.

He's in a position of total control, can't live with him, can't live without him. I was very disappointed when he was given a 5 Year Contract, he was dictating the terms to us, rather than vice versa, our club was held to ransom and our fans lapped it up.

I wasn't annoyed that he got a contract more the fact that it really wasn't in the interest of the club, all it fucking was politics and about control he wanted, he should have been given a 3 year contract, with a two year extension. He talks about answering to the fans, but he seems to pick and choose which ones he listens to.

So now we are in a position where he has one of the best contracts going, we are in one of the worst positions going and if he is a winner either way.

If anyone crosses him as you said, he's out, and if the owners cross him, well you know the rest. The man has control beyond the control he should have, and it angers the living fuck out of me.

Only at Liverpool FC could our fans be as divided as they are about one person, and it angers me that people seem to believe that we owe Benitez, rather than vice versa.

I feel very similar to Al, I still feel great when we win, but I find myself more angry at our fans than what I do Benitez.

Edited by Antynwa

No surprise though, after the summer where a large amount of our coaching staff were let go, Rafa is now the king of all he surveys.

I hear what you're saying mate and no doubt whatsoever that it's now an issue. However, I still firmly believe that the best way to run a top club is via strong autonomous leadership. The fact that we're having a fucking 'mare right now doesn't make the decision to give one man total control over all football decisions wrong; it just suggests that the wrong man has that control.

Put it this way, do you think that Chelsea would have been in the relative trophy wilderness over the last three years if Mourinho had not been fighting constant internal battles with Arnesen, Kenyon and Abramovich that forced his departure? If he'd had Fergie, Wenger or Rafa's level of control they'd have had at least one European Cup and another title to show for their outlay - if not more - I reckon.

I think he does listen to others opinions, any manager worth his salt listens to his staff , Im not sure he actually puts those into actions but he is a fool if he doesnt.

Lots of positives. It gives Lucas more playing time; Torres completed 90 minutes; Johnson only made one error this week, and not his usual two; Insua won a ball in the air an hour in; and we "controlled" the game, of course. Plenty of plus points to take from that match if only you can look for them.

We didn't pick up any injuries in the pre-match warm up, but that doesn't fit the anti-Rafa agenda of some on here

or how about we don't give the manager the keys to the entire club - ease the burden, let someone else be responsible for the academy, get some real financial help on managing budget (which by the sounds of how the summer went, that was the real issue in where the money went). We've given a man who already worked too many hours, even more responsibility and by all accounts, one thing rafa is not good at is delegating, so that clearly was going to lead to one thing.

Agreed. Even as a person who thinks the manager will turn it round, giving him carte blanche was ridiculous and I said as much at the time.