You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RBS putting the squeeze on?

RolandRat

Daily Express | Sport | Football

The problems on the pitch come as strong rumours circulate within the city that the Royal Bank of Scotland and Wachovia are putting the squeeze on American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to pay back another chunk of the £240millionstill outstanding from their original borrowing to buy Liverpool, or reduce their asking price and sell the club.

It comes with the Anfield hierarchy trying to drum up interest in a shares issue that would dilute their stake and bring in a minority investor.

Liverpool are seeking £100m for a 25 per cent stake in the club which would go towards paying down the debt and trigger a long-term refinancing arrangement with the banks that could last between three and four years.

A reduced level of debt would allow the much-delayed stadium project to return to the agenda.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the refinancing deal was agreed and signed up in July or whenever, then I cannot see how this story has a shred of truth in it. The repayment terms would have been agreed and form the terms and conditions. The two banks cannot then insist any money is paid back in advance of those terms.

Another piece of pisspoor journalism if you ask me.

If the refinancing deal was agreed and signed up in July or whenever, then I cannot see how this story has a shred of truth in it. The repayment terms would have been agreed and form the terms and conditions. The two banks cannot then insist any money is paid back in advance of those terms.

What if those 'repayment terms and conditions' stipulated the downsizing of the clubs debt by Christmas?

The truth is you know as much about our financial situation as you do about refereeing.

Cock all.

What if those 'repayment terms and conditions' stipulated the downsizing of the clubs debt by Christmas?

The truth is you know as much about our financial situation as you do about refereeing.

Cock all.

It is possible that is one of the T&C's but if that was so, you'd expect barrett and smith to have reported this. Anyone with a little sense would also realise the article's writer would have mentioned this too.

But hey, dont let that stand in your way of petty vendetta's. I know I wont :P

I understand they want the debt down to 125m when they renew next year and Wichovia want out completely.

Thats the true reality which means the need 100m as I pointed out last week to bring the debt down. No Investor sell up or sell Torres & Gerrard its that simple

They are touting a 25% share for £100M? Why on earth would anybody put their hard earned cash into this only to have no real power? I can't see that happening. Therefore they need to find the money themselves or sell up at a more realistic price. If they don't have the money then it is player sales, but that would also reduce the value of the club and would also reduce our chances of CL qualification, so this will probably be avoided (at least when it comes to Torres and Gerrard).

Round and round it goes. I can only hope a sale to a better owner will ensue. Fingers crossed.

They are touting a 25% share for £100M? Why on earth would anybody put their hard earned cash into this only to have no real power? I can't see that happening. Therefore they need to find the money themselves or sell up at a more realistic price. If they don't have the money then it is player sales, but that would also reduce the value of the club and would also reduce our chances of CL qualification, so this will probably be avoided (at least when it comes to Torres and Gerrard).

Round and round it goes. I can only hope a sale to a better owner will ensue. Fingers crossed.

The same reason everyone else buys ordinary shares. A financial return.

The same reason everyone else buys ordinary shares. A financial return.

There is no significant financial return until the debt is massively reduced and the ground capacity is improved by 10k or so.

Considering the debt ont he club its no way worth £400m (if the £100m for 25% is true) Its barely worth much more than they paid for it. They'll be lucky to get £200m for the lot (£450m if you include paying off the debt)

£100m for 25% is a ridiculous valuation. If they halved it, it'd be more realistic.

The club won't realise its full commercial potential until a bigger stadium is built, with corporate and non matchday facilities a world away from we can currently offer.

No investor is going to pay that much for a minority stake when in order to get any sort of return there's going to have to be either more debt taken on to build a stadium, or more investment in addition to buying a stake.

There is no significant financial return until the debt is massively reduced and the ground capacity is improved by 10k or so.

Massively reduced by the 100m investment for example?

Considering the debt ont he club its no way worth £400m (if the £100m for 25% is true) Its barely worth much more than they paid for it. They'll be lucky to get £200m for the lot (£450m if you include paying off the debt)

Ok, we've grown our revenue 60m a year since they bought the club i.e. by 50%, and you're telling me it's not worth more than then? Methinks you've been reading too many SOS articles.

Massively reduced by the 100m investment for example?

Ok, we've grown our revenue 60m a year since they bought the club i.e. by 50%, and you're telling me it's not worth more than then? Methinks you've been reading too many SOS articles.

Not even halved the debt though has it.

The revenue may have grown but all that has been counteracted by the debt interest repayments.

Are you suggesting the club is in a better position now than when the Americans took over. Simple maths is £167m for the club with a £30m debt = £197m. The debt is more now than the club was worth when it was bought. Then you've also got to put on the money the Americans want.

unless there is a filthy rich Liverpool (maybe neutral football fan) then nobody is going to buy any stake in the club at the price the americans want for their 'investment'* - and i use that word in the oosest term possible as they have invested practically fuck all.

Not even halved the debt though has it.

The revenue may have grown but all that has been counteracted by the debt interest repayments.

Are you suggesting the club is in a better position now than when the Americans took over. Simple maths is £167m for the club with a £30m debt = £197m. The debt is more now than the club was worth when it was bought. Then you've also got to put on the money the Americans want.

unless there is a filthy rich Liverpool (maybe neutral football fan) then nobody is going to buy any stake in the club at the price the americans want for their 'investment'* - and i use that word in the oosest term possible as they have invested practically fuck all.

I didn't say we were better off now, I said we were worth more.

Are we better off now than when the americans took over, clearly not. But with the debt is going down, the interest payments go down, the revenue goes up. With guaranteed TV rights, standard chartered money, an under performing shirt (adidas) deal, a stadium deal etc etc it's not rocket science to work out there might be a financial return.