You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All new transfer speculation 09

Megadrive Man

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have already said plenty of times in this thread, the key line for me in the Oli Kay's article is this:

For whatever reason, he has toed a diplomatic line, not making an issue of the fact that he has had to break even in the transfer market.

Why? I just don't understand. Is he on strict orders from the yanks? Perhaps a "one more word against us and you are out of the job?" Or is it because Rafa only "fought" with them to get himself a new contract? I'm really confused here. I can't believe for 1 second that it is the same Rafa Benitez who couldn't wait to throw his toys out of the pram last season and the season before last.

Or is it because Rafa really hated Parry and wanted him out regardless of the transfer budget?

Wenger, Ancelotti and Fergie don't seem to have a great deal to spend either and their not moaning either.

Maybe some managers are beginning to understand the current financial situation.

City apart no Premiership club has spent what you would call 'big'.

Real Madrid apart no other European club has massively splashed out either

Strengthening the seventh Cantabrian club

Luis Garcia, a new player in the Racing for the next two seasons

Racing Santander have closed the hiring of Luis Garcia for the next two seasons. The player, which comes from the Athletic, has won a Champions and prior member of the Liverpool and Barcelona.

EUROPE PRESS 10/08/09 - 20:12. Marca

Racing Santander have reached a tentative agreement with the player Luis Garcia for the Catalan club in the Cantabrian Milite the next two seasons, the club said on its official website.

The Catalan striker, aged 31, on the mainland Racing from Atletico Madrid, which remained together since 2007 after arriving from Liverpool, the team which was proclaimed champion of Europe in 2005.

The signing of Luis Garcia, international eighteen times with the Spanish selection, remains the only relevant control physician must pass the tip badalona.

Strengthening the seventh Cantabrian club

Luis Garcia, a new player in the Racing for the next two seasons

Racing Santander have closed the hiring of Luis Garcia for the next two seasons. The player, which comes from the Athletic, has won a Champions and prior member of the Liverpool and Barcelona.

EUROPE PRESS 10/08/09 - 20:12. Marca

Racing Santander have reached a tentative agreement with the player Luis Garcia for the Catalan club in the Cantabrian Milite the next two seasons, the club said on its official website.

The Catalan striker, aged 31, on the mainland Racing from Atletico Madrid, which remained together since 2007 after arriving from Liverpool, the team which was proclaimed champion of Europe in 2005.

The signing of Luis Garcia, international eighteen times with the Spanish selection, remains the only relevant control physician must pass the tip badalona.

Along the same lines Mark Gonzalez is on his way to CSKA Moscow!!!!

Hindsight is great isn't it Nick.

I am a very positive person and a great believer in looking foward and you should only look back to learn from your mistakes.

I gave Rafa a clean slate after the end of the season and hoped he had learnt from his mistakes of the previous close season and first impressions wer he had grasped the nettle and wasnt going to make the mistakes of the previous close season, Alas that doesnt seem to be the case anymore

I think everyone can forgive Rafa the mistakes of the last pre-season but to go and make the same mistakes all over again is dissappointing to say the least. There are no excuses this time.

I am a very positive person and a great believer in looking foward and you should only look back to learn from your mistakes.

I gave Rafa a clean slate after the end of the season and hoped he had learnt from his mistakes of the previous close season and first impressions wer he had grasped the nettle and wasnt going to make the mistakes of the previous close season, Alas that doesnt seem to be the case anymore

I think everyone can forgive Rafa the mistakes of the last pre-season but to go and make the same mistakes all over again is dissappointing to say the least. There are no excuses this time.

What's he done wrong?

Arbeloa and Alonso both wanted to leave - so he brought in funds for them while he could and a particularly good fee for Alonso. Both of these players have been replaced, Johnson who looks very impressive and should be an upgrade on Arbeloa and Aquilani who sounds like he can offer what Alonso did and hopefully chip in with some more goals and assists along the way.

- He needed to buy a right back unless you wanted Degen first choice or Kelly.

- He needed to replace Alonso, unless you were happy with just Gerrard, Lucas, Spearing and Plessis.

It doesn't look like he has many more funds and that's not his fault, it is the owners keeping the Keane sale funds and not giving it to the manager. It doesn't look like anyone wants to buy Babel or Dossena (or pay the wages), to raise funds. The Silva / Young type players that you want to see will cost 25+ million we don't have... so what exactly has he done wrong?

What's he done wrong?

Arbeloa and Alonso both wanted to leave - so he brought in funds for them while he could and a particularly good fee for Alonso. Both of these players have been replaced, Johnson who looks very impressive and should be an upgrade on Arbeloa and Aquilani who sounds like he can offer what Alonso did and hopefully chip in with some more goals and assists along the way.

- He needed to buy a right back unless you wanted Degen first choice or Kelly.

- He needed to replace Alonso, unless you were happy with just Gerrard, Lucas, Spearing and Plessis.

It doesn't look like he has many more funds and that's not his fault, it is the owners keeping the Keane sale funds and not giving it to the manager. It doesn't look like anyone wants to buy Babel or Dossena (or pay the wages), to raise funds. The Silva / Young type players that you want to see will cost 25+ million we don't have... so what exactly has he done wrong?

[YOUTUBE]XDcC9bnRciQ[/YOUTUBE]

You are a retard.

I am told that there is a great chance this will happen. At the end of the day stan, once the window closes the figures will more or less be there for all to see.

These two cunts will bleed us dry, I honestly cant believe the easy ride they and there family's get over here.

True, so why do people keep picking pathetic little fights against the manager, when they should be focussed on the owners ?

Maybe had Parry and Bascombe not been feeding you lines Al, bout Rafa and you WUMing away, maybe the focus of the fans ire would have been on the owners all along.

Indeed, Parry has played you and Bascombe like a kipper, get a 'good red' to fight his battles for him, about transfers (Rafa said we'd get 100m for Xabi and Barry would cost £3.50) or the Academy (My lad works there, of course its in good hands) whilst at the same time diverting fans attention away from the real issue, that being the owners. Indeed, if Rick was such a red why wasnt he trying to out the owners, instead of using you and others to spin in order for him to save his job. Nice one Rick, yet again your sense of priorities are about number one and you say you dont play the numbers game !

Ive said it several times lately, but it really has been/is like the life of brian on here. Infighting and bitching amongst the fans, stupid, pathetic little arguments over anything and everything except the real issues at the heart of the problems at the heart of the club. In our best season for 20 years, instead of uniting against he common enemy, we squabble while all along while the owners do F all, but bleed us dry.

In fact, if the owners were Man Ham fans and wanted to do their best to undermine us then they couldnt have done it any better.

As I have already said plenty of times in this thread, the key line for me in the Oli Kay's article is this:

Why? I just don't understand. Is he on strict orders from the yanks? Perhaps a "one more word against us and you are out of the job?" Or is it because Rafa only "fought" with them to get himself a new contract? I'm really confused here. I can't believe for 1 second that it is the same Rafa Benitez who couldn't wait to throw his toys out of the pram last season and the season before last.

Or is it because Rafa really hated Parry and wanted him out regardless of the transfer budget?

With 21 days of the transfer window left what would he gain from criticising, especially when he has already said he will speak to them to try and secure additional funding. Rather than being the key point it seems to be irrelevant and a little mischievous at this stage of the summer, not forgetting that he was being criticized for speaking by supporters last year.

With 21 days of the transfer window left what would he gain from criticising, especially when he has already said he will speak to them to try and secure additional funding. Rather than being the key point it seems to be irrelevant and a little mischievous at this stage of the summer, not forgetting that he was being criticized for speaking by supporters last year.

that was the point I made! He was criticised for 'playing politics' last year by speaking out against the board, now he is apparently being criticised for staying silent!

that was the point I made! He was criticised for 'playing politics' last year by speaking out against the board, now he is apparently being criticised for staying silent!

I agree on this damned if you do damned if you dont. Rafa just has to do what he feels is best for his chances of getting his team to win the League.

If someone has gone back on there word with you and agreements they have made its very easy to let the come accross in an interview. Rafa should do whatever he thinks is best.

Cardie mate, I see what you are trying to say but we are talking about the same Rafael Benitez who blew his fuse in May 2007 after we lost to AC Milan. He said "we talk talk talk".

And it was the same man who said that he would prefer to get the transfer dealings done well before the season starts.

These were the reasons why he wanted the "control" over transfers as he would have believed he could do those things that Parry couldn't.

May be I'm assuming and reading too much into that article but it definitely tells me that Rafa has indeed adopted a more calmer and diplomatic approach. Even though he has only spent just more than half of the money he generated himself from sales. So, basically, Rafa still doesn't have a clue on what his transfer budget is? Ie., days before we start a new season. Isn't this the reason why he fought so hard, in public, to get the control he wanted? If he hasn't got it or if indeed the cunts are keeping him in the dark, why is he so calm? As I asked before, was it all because he wanted to get his "contract" done or it is because he is under very strict order from the owners?

I will hold my hands up if we go out and sign a £15m striker or a £10m winger as well as a defender but I don't believe we will. I don't believe Rafa would have spent even the money generated from sales come 31st August. And if Rafa still adopts the calm approach after that, I will seriously doubt his intentions when he was fighting in public. Anyone will think he did that to gain the new contract and become a "yes" man to the owners.

Edited by Carra_is_legend

Fucking hell mate. Can you honestly not see the difference?

How many years of fighting we have seen from Rafa? In public? On a Friday before a massive game? All for what? For having the "control" over the transfers, a defined budget every year, and for doing the deals quickly and early.

If he is not going to get any of that, do you expect a man like Rafa to just go quiet and "get on with it"? He may well do but you can't fault people doubting his intentions if he did. Especially when he has a long history of fighting with the owners both at Valencia and at Liverpool.

All comes down to whether you doubt his intentions and are constantly looking for something to pull him up on.

Probably. But what you say is more applicable for those who criticise Rafa at every available opportunity. Fortunately (or unfortunately for some), I'm not one of those.

What you have said doesn't surprise me though. A word against Rafa and you get jumped on. A word in support of Rafa and you get jumped on. This has been the story of this forum the last couple of years.

I think you're trying to look for something that isn't their. A 'Yes Man' wouldn't have fought for control for so long, a "Yes Man" wouldn't have faced up to a CEO/Owners over and over.

What can he possibly gain from fighting for all that control only to tow the line once he get's it?

I don't think his issue is with the lack of money it's with planning something based on promises that aren't delivered or lack of action when he wants something done.

Fucking hell mate. Can you honestly not see the difference?

How many years of fighting we have seen from Rafa? In public? On a Friday before a massive game? All for what? For having the "control" over the transfers, a defined budget every year, and for doing the deals quickly and early.

If he is not going to get any of that, do you expect a man like Rafa to just go quiet and "get on with it"? He may well do but you can't fault people doubting his intentions if he did. Especially when he has a long history of fighting with the owners both at Valencia and at Liverpool.

No.

You have made the point, that you do not necessarily trust his silence, yet yourself and others (the others more vociferous than you) were critical of him for speaking out in public!

Can you not see how unfair you are being?

I agree with Whelan in the sense that it would be hypocritical to criticise Rafa for remaining silent now, if you have criticised him for playing games in the past (i'm not saying that's the case with anyone on this thread BTW).

I think this current situation is very interesting though. I don't for one minute believe that Rafa would have signed the contract knowing that he would have NO money available for transfers. And as we know from past experience, he isn't the type of guy to remain silent when promises have been broken etc.

That's why I still have hope that the £20M+ is still available and we're just awaiting the opportune moment to spend it, as opposed to the doom mongering view of us having no money left.

If, in three weeks time, we haven't spent another £20M or so then serious questions need to be asked and Rafa would be 100% within his rights to kick up an almighty fuss about things (even though it could potentially be detrimental to the team etc).