You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend me a Greek island

RedinSweden

Karpathos should be perfect for a family holiday, beautiful beaches, quiet and not yet fully touristified.

But I guess it depends what you are looking for, if someone is just going with their girl/wife I would certainly recommend it.

Anyone know how easy it is to jump over to Athens for a night or so if you're holidaying on the islands?

Depends on which island you are staying I think. It took us 8 hours to get a ferry from Crete to Athens.

As Lance says though, don't even bother, Athens is a shit-hole.

Tis a beautiful place to be sure. You just get the feeling of timeless continuity and beauty when you go to Santorini, a feeling that no matter what shite is happening, fuck it, shit has always happened, shit will always happen, just have a walk round in the Sun and a swim and things will be OK.

Lindos is great. My Sister has lived there for the last five or six years so I go every year to see her. A couple of nice beaches, great food and some brilliant scenery.

There are plenty of other nice places close by. Rhodes town is worth a visit as is a place called Prassonissi.

Still think Pefkos in Rhodes is the best place if you just want a relaxing time. It's close to Lindos if you fancy a day out there. This is the hotel I stopped in.

This is where I stayed. ABout 5 mins from the beach and there is a games room for kids Matina Apartments Pefkos

Look here for the restaurants: Restaurants in Pefkos although my recomendations are The 2 Brothers grillhouse, Coliseum and Terpsis. There is also this brilliant one but I have forgotten the name. It is on hte main strip and is usually packed sogo early to get a table. I think it is the biggest restaurant in Pefkos and does the best food. I've been there twice and will probably go back soon.

I stayed on Aegina for the trip to the final a few years back. Absolutely great place. The town is a wee bit of a tourist trap but if you stay at the marina on the other side of the island it is really beautiful. The boat trip from athens is fantastic and not very long 45-1hr approx.

RiScoe, if you do find yourself heading to Corfu for whatever reason, go to either Sidari or Kassiopi, both are/were lovely, very old worldy in places but enough activity to keep you entertained.

I have been to both places. They are very nice indeed.

I have been to both places. They are very nice indeed.

Kassiopi is the nicest place on Corfu for my money, beautiful old world cobbled streets, little quaint shops and a feeling of timeless tranquility, you can't beat it.

Santorini is a must for anyone who loves the islands and has never been there, the scenery is just amazing and it has all sorts of Biblical connotations to it.